Galapagos Trips

spindrift

We are considering doing a trip to the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition next August. We have 40 plus cruises on other lines and have never tried Celebrity. We have sailed Oceania (currently our favority), Princess, HAL, Crystal, Silver Seas, Cunard, etc. etc.

Would someone tell me their feelings about Celebrity, the Xpedition, and the Galapagos trip.

Thanks so much.

We are doing the Xpedition's Galapagos trip in November. In researching it on these boards, the comments that keep popping up are "Incredible" and "Once in a lifetime" - and I've yet to read a complaint about this cruise which says a lot!

Here's a link to a long thread with comments, suggestions, pictures, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158948&highlight=xpedition

Hi Spindrift---We have only cruised on three Celebrity ships[ Constellation,Celebrity Epedition, and Galaxy] so I don't claim to an expert on Celebrity but we have cruised a lot of the major cruise lines and I would rank Celebrity Epedition right up there with all of the cruises we have taken and we have been cruise since 1978.What that little ship lacks in size it make up with a staff/crew/natuarlists who are always trying to do their best to please.I consider that cruise a chance of a life and that's saying alot as we are both well into our 70's.If you enjoy wildlife you won't be disappointed.Believe me

If you have any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me .Both of us are from the Houston area many years ago.

gdayhoff@austin,rr.com

We did the same...10 day combined package. Although it was May 2005, we still talk about it all of the time and consider the whole experience (not just the ship) a real 'trip of a lifetime'. Note: I think comparing this particular cruise with other cruise lines is truly apples and oranges. This one is no more typical of Celebrity cruises then trying to compare Windjammer with a luxury yacht. It is truly unique unto itself (and the few other luxury cruises to the Galapagos). Wholeheartedly recommend it.

Would someone tell me their feelings about Celebrity, the Xpedition, and the Galapagos trip.

You will be ruined for life. My only experience with the three elements you mention were in conjunction and it was sublime. It's one of those trips that all following vacations will be compared to (and probably found lacking).

I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this trip.

My wife and I were on the Xpedition last November. It is truly an incredible experience. Everything is done right on this cruise. This is not a "typical" Celebrity cruise. In fact it wouldn't be "typical" of any of the major cruise lines.

I can only think of one "negative" for the entire cruise... that was the week we went was the week of full moon. Hence, the star gazing was not very impressive. But, that wasn't Celebrity's fault. I should have checked. Everything that Celebrity could control was done top notch.

I'll just say I wish all cruises were run the way Celebrity runs the Xpedition cruises.

I think you've already noticed that there are virtually never any complaints about this cruise... as opposed to every other ship out there. That should tell you a lot right there.

Well... 'nuff said.... Have you booked your cruise yet? :)

Dave

We went to Galapagos with Lindblad a few years ago. It was the best vacation we have ever had, and we did not really think that would be the case. This trip is about the wildlife and the naturalists, not the boat, the food, or the service. I can't speak to those elements on Xpedition anyway.

What I do think you should know is that the best times to visit the Galapagos are May and November. May is the major mating season for most species of birds, so you see their mating rituals. I honestly can't remember at this moment what is happening in November, but I think it might be the birth of the sea turtles. Before you book, check out what is happening in August, and consider if another month will give you a more enriched experience, based upon what the wildlife is doing.

You are going to love this trip, whenver you go.

Vanessa

We are considering doing a trip to the Galapagos on the Celebrity Xpedition next August. We have 40 plus cruises on other lines and have never tried Celebrity. We have sailed Oceania (currently our favority), Princess, HAL, Crystal, Silver Seas, Cunard, etc. etc.

Thanks so much.

Celebrity pulled out all the stops to please all 82 passengers who travelled August 3-14th. It doesn't matter what your age is, there is something to see while on these islands for everyone. The attitude of the staff was outstanding with 7 qualified, helpful naturalists to help. The food was good and we loved meeting everyone on this trip. Try it, you'll love it.

Celebrity Fans,

Dorothy & Morty:) :)

Wow folks. What a wonderful response, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. We actually are booked August 17th as we already have trips booked in March and in November.

We are currently concerned about the altitude in Quito, if anyone has comments on that. We will be seeing my husband's Cardiologist next week regarding his pacemaker. I hope that is not an issue. (Gee, can't believe we have to take into consideration health issues. At least we think young--he is in his "young" 70's and I in my mid "60"s".) We are both avid golfers and in relatively good health, so if anyone has comments in this regard--you all have been so good to respond so far, we'd appreciate your comments on this issue.

My "Vacations to Go" newsletter just arrived by email, and their president wrote about his trip to the Galapagos on Xpedition & posted some pictures.... here's a copy:

http://www.*****.com/cruise_newsletter.cfm

Congratulations Spindrift on booking your Xpedition trip! We are about two months out now from our sailing date :)

Thanks again Susan. I have met Emerson Hankhammer w/VTG as he is here in Houston, and his article is one that made me want to book this trip altho we had looked at it in the past. Can't wait to hear about your trip upon your return.

My agent at VTG is trying to check on the "altitude" issues as well as my DH seeing his Cardiologist next week. Sure hope there are not any snafus. (Is that a word? Tee Hee )

The two days spent in Quito gives you plenty of time to acclimate to the altitude. The one restaurant they take you to for lunch has you walking up a VERY steep hill and many people found it quite difficult. You need to just take it slowly and not worry about keeping pace with the 20 year olds. I did not find the atlitude a problem and I'm asthmatic.

My husband and I had no problems at all with the altitude; I was a basket case worrying and it was for nothing. When we arrived in Quito we were met by the Celebrity reps right outside customs and were taken to a small bus and given bottles of water which I'm sure helped. My husband said that he couldn't complete a yawn and I had to take the stairs slowly (we're both in our 60's), but aside from that we had no trouble at all. Most of the other passengers in our group were also not affected.

Bonnie :)

I had no problem during the day,but at night,trying to sleep, I always felt as though I want a little more oxygen in my air.

Since I am returning in December,I emailed the Marriott, who informed me that they provide oxygen,free of charge in the rooms for just that purpose. They suggested contacting them directly a week before to make sure it is ready for a late arrival,but that they would usually have it handy if I did not.

I'll keep all these suggestions and follow through. Never thought about asking for oxygen in my room. Amazing. I was raised in Albuquerque and spent much time in the mountains, but not at this kind of altitude.

We went to China in March, and upon our return I ended up in the hospital because of breathing difficulties. (Hadn't been in the hospital in 40 + years)Pulmonary studies later showed good lungs just adult onset mild asthma.

Isn't it amazing what we run into as we begin to age--and I still think I am in my 30's. Something passed me by, but I'm still going to think I am "hardy."

Again, thanks. (Why did I get off on this? Guess I want to enjoy the trip to the fullest.)

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on a new camera for the trip this December on the Xpedition. I have narrowed it down to 1.) Olympus SP510 UZ, a 10x optical zoom, 7.1 megapixel, anti-shake stabilizer, and a low-light brightener feature 2.) Canon S3 IS, a 12x optical zoom, 6.1 mega pixel, anti-shake feature, with really excellent video capability, and 3.) Nikon S10, 6 mega pixel, 10x optical zoom. All have ISO capability of going up to 800. The Canon has the added feature of being a hybrid (video and stills), and the Olympus has the ability to brighten up low light and night shots.

So, the question is for those who have been to the Galapagos; which set of features would you think is most usable and important? Not having to carry a video camera or having evening and lower light shots assisted?

Thanks for your help!

Suzie

Suzie,

I have a Canon S2 (the S3 wasn't out then) and loved it. In fact, my husband gets tired of hearing me say "have I told you that I love my camera?' The only downside is that it's larger than most digital cameras. I don't find that a problem but if you like the really small, pocket-size cameras, that might help you make a decision. I spent a lot of time on sites that compare like models of cameras and finally decided on the Canon - but it was hard. My pictures have turned out great...Image Stab. works well as does the zoom. We just came back from a cruise to Alaska and even my grown kids who are better photographers than me are awed by the photo show I did of that trip. Truthfully, you will take great pictures no matter what - everything is photogenic!

Thanks for thee good info! My biggest concern was whether or not I could take low light photos in the evenings on deck, and also the anti-shake for the zodiac rides. Your Canon did OK for those? Also, the faster "film" speeds of these new ones appealed to me for stop action shots (but come to think of it, how fast can a lizard crawl???... maybe for the flying birds?)

Suzie

Didn't take many pictures on deck, but did take some low light ones in other locations since. Best bet is to use good photo editing software. I've been able to 'touch up' any that didn't work well that way. Img stabilizing worked very well even in close-ups using zoom. Re: that lizard....took so many pictures of him and the iguanas that they are camera shy now :)

Thanks for thee good info! My biggest concern was whether or not I could take low light photos in the evenings on deck, and also the anti-shake for the zodiac rides. Your Canon did OK for those? Also, the faster "film" speeds of these new ones appealed to me for stop action shots (but come to think of it, how fast can a lizard crawl???... maybe for the flying birds?)

Suzie

Here's some additional info to put into your mix. I have a Canon Powershot 520 A that also has an under water housing that you might find a great addition.I believe they are available for other Canons too.Check it out on Amazon.

In addition ,I just got a Pentax Optio which is waterproof without the additional housing . Both are great for those snorkling shots of sea lions ,turtles,etc.,as well as beach and panga use. The Pentax is very compact.

I also did not take many low light or on deck photos, but those I did take were, as Spengle noted ,fine when tweeked with good softwear.

Most wildlife is so close and still.it's hard to take a bad picture. When you do ,it's no problem o take one again The subjects are very cooperative and the opportunities infinate.

Even the birds in flight are not a problem.

You will see as soon as you get to the dock for your trip to the Xpedition upon arrival, so much wildlife that everone starts shooting pictures of sealions and frigate birds that later will become commenplace.

Spindrift,

Oceania is our cruiseline of choice as well---We have been on two this past year and have booked West. Med for next summer. We love it.

That being said, our trip to the Galapagos on the Xpedition was probably one of, if not, the best experience in my life. The destination is amazing, the service impeccable, the ship much more intimate than Oceania. Everyone after all is on the same page, there to enjoy nature and wildlife. The naturalists are so knowledgeable and so friendly. Ecuador is a delight and the Mariott hotel is wonderful.

I also would go back in a heartbeat. I keep waiting for Celebrity to create a similar itinerary on a similar ship. Enjoy!

Marcia

Archived