Cunard - 1993 vs 2006

spinnaker

Hey guernseyguy, i am f fascinated with those pictures of the carnival ship in HEAVY seas>. That must have been a wild ride! Where did you get the pics, if on an article i would like to read about the voyage, were there any pasengers onboard or was it the voyage between the shipyard and the home port. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Peter.

I guess she had crew only aboard, but neither I nor Wikipedia have guessed what "iirc" stands for. And I'm sure that you already know the answer to your "do they wear, well, you know.......... j*%^s? " question. Forget the smelling salts, have a whisky with no rocks and no "e".Well, it's either

Paul

"If I Remember Correctly" or Infinite Internet Relay Chat (IRC predated IM)

And wearing j*%^s would require putting some clothes on, would it not?

Well, okay. Maybe, But only for formal night!

Karie,

who once suffered through a 4 day Carnival.

I think that is in the new anti-torture bill the U.S. Senate has taken up. Against the Geneva Convention... Oh the Horror!

Where did you get those shots

Here:

http://cathellis.blog-city.com/anyone_need_dramamine.htm

If I Recall Correctly (is an alternative ~ same difference), she did have pax onboard and was riding out the storm before returning to port. Here's what happens without stabilisers:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/blogs/ti/archives/grandvoyager.jpg

Peter

Here:

http://cathellis.blog-city.com/anyone_need_dramamine.htm

If I Recall Correctly (is an alternative ~ same difference), she did have pax onboard and was riding out the storm before returning to port. Here's what happens without stabilisers:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/blogs/ti/archives/grandvoyager.jpg

Peter

And here's the text that accompanied your "Here's what happens without stabilisers" picture:

February 16, 2005

Anyone for Dramamine?

Cruise brochures rarely show their ships struggling through a rough sea. So to compensate for this sometimes significant omission, here's a terrifying picture to remind us all that the sea is a usually sleeping giant but with the ability to overwhelm anything man can create. (more....)

The Grand Voyager encountered rough weather earlier this week - well, actually, it was a Force 11 gale. Waves were so big (up to 50' high) and so strong that they smashed in a window on the ship's bridge. Due to the severe conditions, all four engines failed, although the crew managed to manually restart two of them after a short while with the ship helplessly adrift.

Eight of the passengers broke bones as the ship was battered and tossed about. Twenty others suffered less severe injuries and bruising.

And where was this nightmare? The middle of the Atlantic, perhaps? Nope. Close to Sardinia in the Mediterranean.

Paul

I would never go on another Carnival...Well, maybe if I were clinging with the last of my nails to a piece of driftwood in mid-ocean, and an albatross pecking at my fingers, and one offered a lifeboat.... and then i would ask ... if they could drop me off at one of the Queens, please- Or even that raft full of Cuban boat people, overflowing with too many people and too much misery. Cunard has salmon pate with caviar; Carnival has 24 hour pizza!
Karie,

That was a bit melodramatic, somewhat haughty, but very funny.

Cheers,

Paul

Archived