Back from Pride of Hawaii Aug 28 Cruise

laraoke2

Short and to-the-point review (I hope)

We stayed the 2 pre-cruise nights at the Hilton Hawaiian. The hotel was very nice and we were very happy with our room and location.

The embarkation was total chaos, disorganized and everyone was crowding the bus, so we ended up taking a taxi to the pier. Hope they fix that.

Once we got to the pier, waited through the lines and got in, they announced that only certain decks were available and we had to wait again. When they finally cleared us to go to our cabin, our keycards did not work...along with alot of other people. Note: This was a big, big problem throughout the cruise and we had to keep going to the purser's desk to get new keys, even up to the last night of our cruise!!!

Our cabin was clean, bigger showers than normal (that was nice), just don't expect much room elsewhere. It took me awhile how to figure out the remote button for the TV. I'm just use to turning it on and changing channels, so spend some time with your remote.

Our cabin safe never worked. We called to ask them to fix it (twice throughout the cruise), but they never did. Ran out of shampoo, called to refill, but didn't get any until the next day. They forgot to leave us the Freestyle Daily and we had to call to remind them. Also, they did NOT make up our room until we complained.

All the tours we took were great, a bit pricey, but overall, we were very happy with them. The guides were very insightful and we learned alot about the islands. Great snorkeling in Maui and Kona. Also DO take the helicopter ride in Kauai...you will not regret it!!!

The shows were good, didn't get to see all of them, but what we saw we liked. Comedians were hysterical.

As for the restaurants, we never ate at the normal dining. Heard too many complaints about the long wait and the bad food. We ate at the buffet...no complaints there. The food was decent. We did eat at the Tex Mex which was a waste (I've never tasted such bland fajitas). Papas Italian restaurant's bread and caesar salad were very good, but the lasagne meat was rubbery. We had the Shabu Shabu and Teppenyaki. Those were good but remember, you are paying for it.

The disembarkation was great (this is where NCL excels) and we took the easy fly and day tour (since our flight wasn't until 9pm). Oh yeah. I forgot to mention something important. Do NOT book the flight through NCL!!!! We weren't even seated together on the way out and they overbook, so some people didn't make their flights out. You can try to upgrade, if you get there early enough (which we did on the return trip) so you can sit together and have more leg space, but it will cost you 50 each person.

It was our first time in Hawaii and it was a great way to see all the islands, but as far as we're concerned, this cruise is just to get you from Point A to Point B, and that's what we did. We would definitely NOT book with NCL again.

For those of you who have already booked and have upcoming trips:

Don't expect anything, just let them know if you have any problems, and remember you are in Hawaii and enjoy the islands. So many wonderful sites to see!!!

We also were on the same cruise. maybe you saw us, I was the one with the red and blue, NY giants cap on the entire cruise. I have already written a sort of review, but I wasn't as critical as you. We did not encounter so many small problems, but when we did, we went to the courtesy desk and they were quickely resolved. It's funny you mentioned the room key. When we got back from Maui, we went to our room and the keys didn't work. We went down to the courtesy desk and they informed us we had checked out. I told them, we loved Maui, but we were still here. It was a minor glitch, and we got new keys and were again re-installed back on the ship.

We ate in the Pacific Dining room most nights and the food wasn't bad at all. You shouldn't give the impression that the food was bad, if you didn't try it. Most meals were good to very good, but the menus were reduced and simplified. I never ate in the buffet, not because of the food, but I just like to be served when I'm on vacation, not stand in line to get a plate of food. Was not having a trya to carry your plate, silverware and drink a problem. I could never figure out why there were no trays.

We usually will watch any sort of show, but we felt that the entertainment was severly lacking. the magician, when he did the comedy act, was good, but when they have the ships crew as the main entertainement on one night, there is something wrong. Our waiter sang for us during dinner, so we didn't need to see the show.

I also agree that the disembarkation is great. Bags are lined up waiitng for you whenh you get off. We didn't have any problems with embarkation. In fact, we were the first in line and the third couple on the ship. We were able to board aboard about 12:00. Your problems were more with the transportation from the hotel. Once at the ship, things seemed to go pretty smoothly.

I do agree that this is a different type of cruising. It is exactly just to get you thru the Hawaiin Islands in a week, and it accomplished just that. To say that you will neve sail NCL again is not right, just because of this particular cruise. Most other sailing on NCL are completely different. This was our 4th crusie with NCL, and it was probably the lowest rated one. but we have already booked, on board, another cruise for 2008, and we are so looking forward to it. We had a good time and that's all that mattered. Hope you did also.

Didn't see you...and out of all those people??? ;)

We had to go back many times to the courtesy desk to have our room keys adjusted. Oh well.

You're right. Didn't eat at the main dining areas and I think I mentioned that was hearsay...there's been alot of that lately, hasn't there?

Nah...I think we'll stick to another cruiseline, but thanks for your comments. :)

I appreciated both reviews although you both seemed to have different views on some things. At least you were both really on the ship, which is more than I can say for a lot of the "reviews" :rolleyes: and it was the same ship at the same time which very rarely happens.

What you both said about dining confirms much of what I've read. I read mostly good things about the buffet and not so good about the Mexican Restaurant. Usually I read good to excellent about the Italian Restaurant. I'm glad to hear the main dinning rooms have improved. Due to the reviews we too planned on eating in just the buffet or specialty restaurants. Did either of you eat in Le Bistro or Cagney's? It sounds like you ate in parts of Jasmine but not sure if that was part of Jasmine or a separate Asian Restaurant. That one usually gets very good reviews and I personally haven't seen any bad ones on it.

Entertainment is very subjective and a matter of personal taste so you are probably both right on how you percieved it.

This is the first I've read about embarkation being a problem but I think Giantfan13 was right, it did seem more like Laraoake's problem was more with transportation from the hotel than the ship. Sorry to hear about the key problem. That sounds like just a technical problem with that particular machine that makes them. Hopefully they got it fixed.

We are going at the end of October on POH for our honeymoon. Thank you both for your insights.:)

We were on this cruise and had several opposite experiences than laraoke2?

We used the porters at embarkation, a few dollars yes, but after that just walked to the line for the check in desks. No waiting to check bags, and be sure to pre-tag the bags. We were there around 12:15, lines were short and quick. Since we had a suite cabin, we used one of the other check-in counters, but I still took a look at the other lines and they were moving along very quickly.

They told us during check-in, the rooms would not be ready until 1 or 2, no problem, we knew we were early. The package says check-in is at 1 anyway. They also told us, go make your dinner reservations while the lines are short.. (good and bad I thought) We didn't go then though.

Since we had read here on the boards, that the Grand Pacific (GP) was open for lunch, we went straight there and were seated right way. I don't have my notes here, so I can't remember what we had for lunch, but the service and food was great. One of the assistant MD's came over and introduced herself and chatted a bit. Nice touch we thought.

We went to our room when they announced our floor, no problems when we arrived there.

Cagney's was absolutely the best, Papa's and GP/Alizar as well. Jasmines was a little let down, but still good. Buffet was very good too.

Gotta run for now - back at work, more to come.. working on full review.

JW:cool:

We were on this cruise and had several opposite experiences than laraoke2?

We used the porters at embarkation, a few dollars yes, but after that just walked to the line for the check in desks. No waiting to check bags, and be sure to pre-tag the bags. We were there around 12:15, lines were short and quick. Since we had a suite cabin, we used one of the other check-in counters, but I still took a look at the other lines and they were moving along very quickly.

They told us during check-in, the rooms would not be ready until 1 or 2, no problem, we knew we were early. The package says check-in is at 1 anyway. They also told us, go make your dinner reservations while the lines are short.. (good and bad I thought) We didn't go then though.

Since we had read here on the boards, that the Grand Pacific (GP) was open for lunch, we went straight there and were seated right way. I don't have my notes here, so I can't remember what we had for lunch, but the service and food was great. One of the assistant MD's came over and introduced herself and chatted a bit. Nice touch we thought.

We went to our room when they announced our floor, no problems when we arrived there.

Cagney's was absolutely the best, Papa's and GP/Alizar as well. Jasmines was a little let down, but still good. Buffet was very good too.

Gotta run for now - back at work, more to come.. working on full review.

JW:cool:

Thanks for your input as well! I'm looking forward to your complete review. Except for a few minor problems it sounds like things are going well with POH at this point. :)

"Oh yeah. I forgot to mention something important. Do NOT book the flight through NCL!!!! We weren't even seated together on the way out and they overbook, so some people didn't make their flights out. You can try to upgrade, if you get there early enough (which we did on the return trip) so you can sit together and have more leg space, but it will cost you 50 each person."

Ok this part didn't make sense to me. First when you received your tickets from NCL, did you check the seating? Ok, who overbooked NCL, or the Airline? Who made you pay the upgrade charge..NCL or the Airline?

We are flying through NCL in November...it was too good of a deal to pass up. However all information you can give to me on that would be great!!!

Thanks

Letha

Archived