question about PoAm cruise with Toddler

jadaz

Hello- we will be cruising thru Hawaii on the Pride of America for Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has done this with a toddler. (DS is 2) Any tips? I am particularly interested in what shore excursions will be doable, and did you bring your car seat?

TIA!

:)

You'll probably get more responses if you go to the Family Cruising thread. I've found them to be an awesome source of information. We are cruising Pride of Hawaii on 9/25 with our 23 month old.

We are taking a Tote N Go rather than our full-sized car seat, but we also live on Oahu. If we were flying in, I'd bring out carseat since he would need it on the plane. Rather than doing NCL shore excursions, we have opted to rent cars. We figured that way we could work a little more on his schedule rather than being on an 8 hour tour on a tour bus...where we would have to hold him on our laps all day.

Just my thoughts!

Susan

Thanks Susan! You'll have to come on here again after your cruise and tell me how it went! I just found this site and didn't see the family cruising thread--I'll have a look.

I'm def thinking of renting a car. I'm not one for group tours--we usually prefer doing our own thing anyway.

Thanks so much! :)

I know...sometimes they move posts for weird reasons. Truthfully, you'll get better responses on here and on the Family Cruising board (which I think you found, right?) than on the NCL board. Sometimes they are not very nice when it concerns children and cruising. :)

I will definitely let you know what works for us when we get back. We still have a "rough draft" on our Things to See list! We do have rental cars booked in every port though and won't be doing any ship excursions.

Susan

One of the many tips I've learned is to bring a blow-up pool that you can put on the pool deck beside your chair (or on your balcony if you have one) and add an inch or two of water. Have never been on a cruise where a baby not yet trained can use the general pools and it can become an issue. I live in a beach resort and always brought a small pool for my babies and they would sit for hours. I've seen it done on ships and the parent(s) were able to enjoy themselves with a cocktail without worrying about the child in the pool or near the pool for that matter.

And yes, I know that babies can drown in an inch of water:rolleyes: I'm not suggesting they be left without supervision.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again to you both---

I am working on rental car reservations now. Will likely do one in most ports. Probably no excursions. Doesn't really interest me even without a toddler. (I like my freedom) ;)

Susan- can't wait to hear about your trip!

Julie

Archived