Beware of the 8I "upgrade" on the Spirit

travlnglfer

This is one of those questions based on perception, but I thought I would ask anyway and gather some views.

I am booked on an Extended Balcony (9' x 6') on Pride (Spirit, Legend, Maricle) and am trying to figure out if that is really what I want... or do I want a regular balcony (9' x 4').

I will be sailing down the Pacific Ocean coast to Mexico and back from Long Beach California.

Some pros and cons I've been thinking about are:

Extended Balcony

Pro's:

1) Large balcony that allows you to actually walk around each other... or maybe use a lounge chair (if they provide them).

2) More room for sex... :p

Cons:

1) View down below balcony is of the life boats... not the water.

2) Less than 180 degree view from railing.

3) Possibly more shade (it will be Mid May).

Regular Balcony

Pro's:

1) Better 180 degree view when at the railing.

2) Better view of the water below you racing away from the ship.

3) More sun to sit in (it will be Mid May).

Cons:

1) smaller balcony makes it more difficult actually walk around each other... and no lounge chair available.

2) less room for sex... :eek:

3) Less bragging rights.

Let's here what you have to say...

I would go for the extended balcony..........can't give up those bragging rights:p

This is one of those questions based on perception, but I thought I would ask anyway and gather some views.

I am booked on an Extended Balcony (9' x 6') on Pride (Spirit, Legend, Maricle) and am trying to figure out if that is really what I want... or do I want a regular balcony (9' x 4').

I will be sailing down the Pacific Ocean coast to Mexico and back from Long Beach California.

Some pros and cons I've been thinking about are:

Extended Balcony

Pro's:

1) Large balcony that allows you to actually walk around each other... or maybe use a lounge chair (if they provide them).

2) More room for sex... :p

Cons:

1) View down below balcony is of the life boats... not the water.

2) Less than 180 degree view from railing.

3) Possibly more shade (it will be Mid May).

Regular Balcony

Pro's:

1) Better 180 degree view when at the railing.

2) Better view of the water below you racing away from the ship.

3) More sun to sit in (it will be Mid May).

Cons:

1) smaller balcony makes it more difficult actually walk around each other... and no lounge chair available.

2) less room for sex... :eek:

3) Less bragging rights.

Let's here what you have to say...

Spirit class is the only one I am familiar with. I say go with the extended balcony, but get an aft cabin. They are definitely the best. Won't cruise in anything but aft, aft, aft!!!

It's unfortunate the OP had to learn the downside of the guarantee gamble.

Since you booked a guarantee, Carnival owes you nothing. By purchasing said guarantee, you agreed to take a cabin in any category 8A or higher. They gave you the best upgrade possible without upgrading in category. In your situation, I too would've been disappointed. That's why I will book a specific cabin when we finally book our Alaska cruise, because I know the view will be important to us.

I would be upset at your TA, but not Carnival. They did nothing wrong here - your TA should've never let you book a guarantee.

Heres a picture of the cabin, its looks to me like its totally blocked on the right side, this you can see on Carnivals website under Spirit Deck Plan, Im sure your TA gave you a copy of the Brochure?

This is exactly why I switched my 8A GTY booking on the Legend to a selected cabin . I can totally understand the OP's point of view about the view (:) ) because I really like to be able to look down at the water and also to see all around me.

In a perfect world it is up to the TA to understand this and ask your needs/desires before suggesting what you should book. The problem is that in this day and age that kind of service and knowledge is not always there.

Personally, I take matters like this into my own hands. I had booked the 8A Gty and then I took a good long hard look at the deck plans and I knew I would be disappointed if I had some kind of obstructed view so I opted to "upgrade myself".

Based on the fact that the OP booked a GTY I DO NOT think Carnival is at fault at all. I would also certainly look for a TA who was more knowledgable about the Carnival Fleet AND use what you have learned and study deck plans with your wants/needs in mind next time.

We loved our extended balcony on the Pride! We were on the Panarama Deck and the overhang was a bit of a drag, as was the constant noise from the Lido deck until after midnight (Scrape, BANG! Scrape, BANG! every night after midnight and every morning about 6:00 a.m. as they stacked the deck chairs and then put them out again in the morning! We were right under the main pool area!) For those reasons, we are still doing extended on our Spirit Cruise, but will be going one deck down to the Verandah deck!

Don't get me wrong, loved our room, loved our cruise - but see room for improvement by going down a deck! ;)

(I have pictures of our cabin and balcony in the link below (Embarkation and Sea Days Album) and you can see the overhang in many pictures! I had to really work at keeping it out of the pictures by shooting straight out, aiming more at the water, less at the sky, and by squatting down to rail level.)

Archived