Vancouver Airport to Canada Place Questions

OldCodger73

Does anyone have recent experience on how much a taxi from YVR to Canada Place would be? The YVR site shows C$23-26 to downrown. Does this sound about right? I have C$42 left over from a previous trip and need to know whether to stop at an ATM or not.

Also, we'll be arriving at YVR at 9:30AM on a Sunday, a day that happens to have five cruise ships in port. Anybody have an idea about how long it usually takes to collect your luggage and go through customs and immigration?

Thanks in advance.

We flew out of Vancouver last Sunday morning. The taxi fare from our hotel (walking distance to Canada Place) to the airport was about $25. There was no traffic and it took about 20 minutes. I am not sure how many ships were in port that day, but on THAT Sunday morning, the airport was not crowded at all. We did not have to wait in a single line, for check-in/security/AND customs, and the plane even took off 15 minutes early.

I have no idea if that is normal, but it sure was nice!

We were just there on Aug 18th. The cab fair was 25$ to our hotel a few blocks from Canada place. Don't worry about getting more canadian money. The cabbies take US dollars and the 42 canadian you already have should cover you anyway.

We came in on a Friday evening around 6pm. We had no holdups at all. We walked right through customs (we even beat our luggage their). From picking up the luggage you walk straight outside and they have it very well marked as where to go. You will get into a line for the taxis and a man there will be to tell you which taxi to go to. (There was a long line of taxis waiting so we didn't have to wait in line at all)

Good Luck and have fun!

I learned on this site about the limos at the Vancouver airport and it was a great way to start our vacation................

right outside the door, no waiting, $39. CAD plus tax

I was really glad I'd planned to do that.

They also take credit cards and/or a mix of Canadian and US bills.

Does anyone have recent experience on how much a taxi from YVR to Canada Place would be? The YVR site shows C$23-26 to downrown. Does this sound about right? I have C$42 left over from a previous trip and need to know whether to stop at an ATM or not.

Also, we'll be arriving at YVR at 9:30AM on a Sunday, a day that happens to have five cruise ships in port. Anybody have an idea about how long it usually takes to collect your luggage and go through customs and immigration?

Thanks in advance.

I just cruise out of the Canada Place a week ago. You can take the shuttle fron the Airport to Canada Place (Pan Pacific Hotel) for $40 CAN round trip for family of four. The shuttle leaves every 30 minutes and takes about 35 minutes to get there, you take the shuttle back whereyou get off when you finish your cruise. Hope this will help.

Between our 7 days in Vancouver last summer and 1 day this year, we probably used $20CAD cash over the entire period! From my experience using credit cards whenever possible, you really need cash only for tipping bellmen and maids--that's it! Even taxis, street vendors and airport eateries all take plastic nowadays.

We walked right through customs (we even beat our luggage their).

Just so there is no confusion, I think you meant that you went through immigration and got to baggage claim before the luggage arrived. Then you cleared customs with your luggage.

Why has it been posted that you can't get luggage for 4 in a limo? Can't you put the xtra luggage in the passenger section as well as the trunk? From what I've read we'll need to get a van for 4 ppl.
I think it is first useful to clarify what "luggage for 4" means to each of us. Our family of four packed 2 ea 42" pieces, 2 ea 24" carry-ons & 3 backpacks. All this fit into the trunk of a standard mid-size taxi vehicle (although the driver did use bungees to secure the trunk lid). Thus if you accept our load as comparable to yours, you should have no problem fitting your luggage into ANY vehicle at the airport, and especially a full-size limo. :)

Between our 7 days in Vancouver last summer and 1 day this year, we probably used $20CAD cash over the entire period! From my experience using credit cards whenever possible, you really need cash only for tipping bellmen and maids--that's it! Even taxis, street vendors and airport eateries all take plastic nowadays.

You are absolutely right about the convenience of using plastic. And everyone accepted US dollars as well, giving change in Canadian currency. One little note, though: Different credit cards charge different international service fee percentages. My Wamu card charges 1%, while my husband's BofA charges 3%. The 3% adds up, especially on top of the GST (sales tax), so if you have a few cards, you may want to see who charges the lowest percent.

You are absolutely right about the convenience of using plastic. And everyone accepted US dollars as well, giving change in Canadian currency. One little note, though: Different credit cards charge different international service fee percentages. My Wamu card charges 1%, while my husband's BofA charges 3%. The 3% adds up, especially on top of the GST (sales tax), so if you have a few cards, you may want to see who charges the lowest percent.
Very true however, when compared with the $19 in fees Suntrust charged me to exchange just US$250 to CAD$ (that's 7.6%), for example, the credit card exchange fees are a bargain by comparison. Also remember the foreign currency you exchange invariably will not be completely used and the unspent cash usually ends up sitting around as "souvenir money". Thus cash is not very efficient and ultimately costs most people much more in the end. For example, we had $20CAD left at Vancouver airport this year, and we ended up getting various Starbucks beverages (including fruit drinks and muffins for the kids) that we otherwise would not have wasted money on!

I do agree that the credit card foreign currency exchange rate surcharges can vary widely and some are pretty bogus IMO. It is a very good idea to check with your credit card IN ADVANCE regarding what their surcharges are!

WARNING - Stay Away from LimoJet Gold !

Arrived at Vancouver Airport, had pre-paid for limo for 5 + luggage to Canada Place, they were refusing to take us. Too much luggage they claimed (we all had 1 bag and 1 carry-on)

They knew way ahead there would be 5 passengers + luggage going on a cruise. Didn't tell us when we reserved there would be any problems.

I couldn't believe it, when I talked to management on the phone, the only solution they could give us, was to just rent another limo. By the way, I would have to take a cab downtown to get a refund from there accounting department.

Should have just gotten 2 taxis from the beginning - less cost and trouble.

Archived