Brooklyn Red Hook Questions

smeyer418

someone emailed me and asked me some Brooklyn questions. I want to make sure my answers aren't different than others.

1. Are Taxicabs readily available at the LIRR station in Brooklyn at Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues?

2. Are taxicabs available at Smith and 9th Street stop of the F train on a Sunday morning?

3. Is there a reason not to use the Smith and 9th Street stop?

4. If you had to name one Brooklyn subway stop that had taxicabs readily available which one would you choose?

I'll give you my answers after at least 5 people list their responses.

Thanks!!

someone emailed me and asked me some Brooklyn questions. I want to make sure my answers aren't different than others.

1. Are Taxicabs readily available at the LIRR station in Brooklyn at Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues?

2. Are taxicabs available at Smith and 9th Street stop of the F train on a Sunday morning?

3. Is there a reason not to use the Smith and 9th Street stop?

4. If you had to name one Brooklyn subway stop that had taxicabs readily available which one would you choose?

I'll give you my answers after at least 5 people list their responses.

Thanks!!

1. No. Taxicabs aren't "readily" available anywhere in Brooklyn. If a fare has taken a cab into Brooklyn, then you can hail the cab and take it somewhere else, but they will be making a bee-line back to Manhattan rather than hanging out at a spot in Brooklyn. Cabs that find themselves in certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn will head down Atlantic to get to the Brooklyn Bridge, so along Atlantic near the LIRR station will offer some chance to flag down a passing cab, but it won't be a sure thing.

2. No. Nor at any other time.

3. In what context? In the context of getting to the Red Hook pier, it's too far away to walk with luggage, even though it is the closest subway. In the context of visiting your friend who lives nearby, it's perfectly fine.

4. None; see #2. The Clark St. station in Brooklyn Heights has the best chance of having a passing taxi, as residents of the Heights are most likely to take a taxi to their home. But probably not on Sunday morning.

You could always use a local car service in Carroll Gardens to get you from Smith/9th to the pier.

Archived