Rhapsody a big disappointment

jen79

I agree with the vibration on the Rhapsody. I've been on the Rhapsody 6 times over the past 4 years. Sometimes I would feel vibration more than other times especially in the dining room and Schooner Bar. I do believe this needs to be noted on your "Comment Card" because I think the problem needs to be addressed.

Does it stop me from going on the Rhapsody? - No. I love the Rhapsody and the crew and staff. A fun ship and the Rhapsody is beautiful. As far as the itinerary, Costa Maya and Belize, I've been to both and had an absolute blast.

To each his own

Linda

Sorry, I didn't realize I was going to offend people by posting about my experience.

I was in the center of the ship on deck 3. I understand that I was on a lower deck, but I don't think I should expect to get a poor-quality room on a Royal Caribbean cruise. It's not exactly like a cruise is a cheap vacation.

My previous sailings were on Sovereign & Adventure, and I never felt any vibration. In case it wasn't clear, I loved my first two cruises, which is why I went on a 3rd cruise. By the way, when I say "vibration" I mean that the ship was vibrating, not that it was swaying back & forth. And due to the changed itinerary, we weren't anywhere near the hurricane, so weather wasn't the issue.

I mentioned the unsatisfactory port substitutions because I thought Royal Caribbean would have been better prepared for hurricanes during hurricane season. Belize City was a dump, and the beach at Costa Maya was not much better than Galveston (although to be fair, the water didn't burn my skin so that was a nice change).

I'm glad some of the other cruisers weren't affected by the vibrations, but I wanted to share my experience so that people would at least be warned. As I said, I was not the only one in my party who had an issue with the vibrations, and I was taking motion sickness medicine the whole week. Even though the crew was fantastic, the vibration was significant enough that I would not sail on Rhapsody again. This shouldn't be an issue though, since apparently Voyager is replacing Rhapsody out of Galveston next year.

Thank you for coming back and elaborating on the vibration you felt.

Port substitutions are not that easy. It depends on what other ports are open, have available berths, and can be reached in the length of your cruise. Many times substituting ports isn't possible at all, so you end up with a sea day instead. From Galveston you are more limited than from the Florida ports. You had few alternatives, and believe me if you didn't like Costa Maya and Belize, you would've hated Progreso and Veracruz, which are two of the more commonly substituted ports for Galveston cruises. I'm sorry you didn't like the substituted ports.

Just got off Rhapsody on 9/10....Yes there is vibration. However, in my experience, limited thought it is, it is NOT any worse than any other RCL ship that I have been on. EACH one has had vibration.

Sorry the OP didn't enjoy the cruise, but hey...it's better than a day at the lake and the last time I was on the lake I sensed a bit of vibration from the boat too. :)

Rhapsody is scheduled for dry dock in February 07 for 9 days. Maybe that will be an issue addressed there. Give her a try again.

Best Regards

Sorry, I didn't realize I was going to offend people by posting about my experience.

I was in the center of the ship on deck 3. I understand that I was on a lower deck, but I don't think I should expect to get a poor-quality room on a Royal Caribbean cruise. It's not exactly like a cruise is a cheap vacation.

My previous sailings were on Sovereign & Adventure, and I never felt any vibration. In case it wasn't clear, I loved my first two cruises, which is why I went on a 3rd cruise. By the way, when I say "vibration" I mean that the ship was vibrating, not that it was swaying back & forth. And due to the changed itinerary, we weren't anywhere near the hurricane, so weather wasn't the issue.

I mentioned the unsatisfactory port substitutions because I thought Royal Caribbean would have been better prepared for hurricanes during hurricane season. Belize City was a dump, and the beach at Costa Maya was not much better than Galveston (although to be fair, the water didn't burn my skin so that was a nice change).

I'm glad some of the other cruisers weren't affected by the vibrations, but I wanted to share my experience so that people would at least be warned. As I said, I was not the only one in my party who had an issue with the vibrations, and I was taking motion sickness medicine the whole week. Even though the crew was fantastic, the vibration was significant enough that I would not sail on Rhapsody again. This shouldn't be an issue though, since apparently Voyager is replacing Rhapsody out of Galveston next year.

The Voyager will only be there for about 41/2 months (at least initially) starting Dec 23rd 07...and only sailing into April.

Sorry you were disappointed.

We have sailed Rhapsody 4 times...And have loved it every time.

We were on during Ivan in 04...and even in 30 ft waves vibration was no big deal...

We had the same ports substituted on our cruise...And like Wrona said...Just thrilled not to go to Vera Cruz or a cruise to know where..

Our crew did not know of the change until about 3 hours prior to sail time.

And I was amazed it the job they did re-arranging everything..We had new correct compass printed by Monday Am...Shore excursions available by mid-morning Mon...And despite the fact the a day and a half was spent in Hurricane conditons..at one point 150 miles from the center.It was one of the best sailings I have been on.Maybe because it was more like an adventure..Not a pre-planned cookie cutter cruise..

Again,as Wrona mentioned...Other than your original Itinerary,and the ports you visited ..Sans Progresso and VC...Theres just no where else for the Rhapsody to get to on a 7 day crusie...And that was not potentially in the path of the storm.

Yes,we were disappointed at first,as we love Key West,and we still have not been able to swim with the Stingrays...But I would not hesitate to book Rhapsody at all..

Having said all that...Why don't you join us on our Group Cruise from Galveston on the Voyager...??:)

We cruised on Rhapsody out of Galveston on Aug. 27. This was my 3rd cruise (all on RC) and I was very disappointed. The itinerary was changed because of Hurricane Ernesto, which I was actually expecting since we were cruising in August. But the excursions that were offered at the last minute were really lame, and the substituted ports (Belize & Costa Maya) were not very appealing.

The worst part, though, was that the ship vibrated the entire week. I'm not sure if it was because they had to push it harder than usual or what, but the vibration was significant. I missed a few nights of sleep because my bed was shaking so much. Also, the Schooner Bar vibrated so much that one of my friends couldn't hang out with us in there one night (it made her sick despite her seasickness patch).

Hopefully it's not so bad now, but I thought I would warn anyone who might be cruising on Rhapsody soon.

The Rhapsody is a much smaller ship than the other two you cruised on. Were you near the back of the ship? We never felt anything on the Rhapsody being towards the front but on the Radiance in April we were at the very back and felt a lot of vibration especially when he was going all out to make port. The closer you are to the engines the more vibration you would feel.

We are booked on the Rhapsody Nov 07 because Princess is no longer sailing out of Galveston. No way would I go on the Voyager. It's too large for me and a lot more expensive.

Are you assuming the engines are "near the back of the ship". Methinks they're more midships.

The engines are usually in the rear third of the ship. The propellers are in the rear. As you move toward the mid section of the ship it gets quieter and less vibration. We have been in the dining room which is in the rear and everything vibrates something awful when a ship is leaving port (sometimes, not all the time). You can see the water rippling in your glass, the china and silverware clattering. That can happen on any ship.

We have sailed Rhapsody many times and felt vibration a couple of times while in the Gulf enroute to Key West. I think it does have something to do with weather/sea conditions, but hey, I'm no expert.

We went to Majahual both times while in Costa Maya and loved the beach. The water was clear and snorkeling great. Of course my DW will disagree a little since I almost drowned her while on a SeaDoo.

You can't just go wandering around Belize and expect to enjoy it. We went to the Zoo and it was very enlightening. We are going again in Jan 07 and plan on going cave tubing.

I have been severely seasick on Rhapsody one time but still loved the cruise.

A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work. It is what you make of it.

Archived