Port Canaveral - How does it work?

Melianne

My husband and I are sailing on the Zaandam on 12/11 leaving from P. Canaveral. Before we've always sailed from San Juan and the cruise line (Princess or RCCI) has carted our luggage off and we've reuinited with our bags several hours later.

If we're parking at Canaveral and wheeling our baggage to the terminal, does our luggage stay with us as we board the ship? 'Just asking because I always have this fear our baggage will be lost somewhere - even tho' this has never happened. But it is a little disconcerting while waiting to hear the wonderful sound of your bags being plopped outside your cabin door.

Also, is there a designated/recommended place to park for this ship or cruiseline? Does anyone know of an on-line map that gives explicit directions to the terminal? Does anyone know the cost to park?

Thanks a bunch, guys!!

You will take your luggage to the embarcation terminal where the steveadores will take it from you to be loaded onto the ship. All you keep with you is your carryon, purse, and other personal items (which will all have to go through x-ray as you board the ship.)

Can't tell you where to park. Someone will be along shortly, I'm sure, to help out.

If you are coming in to Cape Canveral early, you might want to check into a hotel that will accomidate parking and free shuttle to the pier. Sometimes it's cheaper. I read on another board that prices for parking at certain Cape Canveral piers have gone up to $15.00 per day. Hopefully HAL's isn't one of them.

When I sailed the Zaandam a couple of years ago, the parking area was right next to the pier. I was on the HAL bus from the airport, though, but did notice many cars driving in and parking. The pier area was fairly easy to negotiate, but I've heard lately that there's a long waiting line to park. Did the parking really go up to $15.00 a day? I thought it was $10.00. I do remember that one of the Disney ships and a Carnival ship were there at the same time, and the Z was the last to leave. You'll love this ship!!!

We cruised Zaandam last December and used the parking. "Very Easy" Drop one person and bags at the terminal, the workers will take any luggage on to the ship immediately. The other person drives only a short distance to park in a secured lot, which cost us $7.00 a day. Any Florida map will direct you to the terminal. From I-95 take Bee Line Expressway East, which is state road 528, until you see hugh signs directing you to the correct exit to the terminals. We had a terrible experience with the "Comfort Inn" Cocoa Beach. Don't ever use their "so called" deal to park your car and stay at the hotel. The hotel is very old, smells like mold, and the staff did not honor the car parking arrangements.

Thanks, everyone for the info. We're driving down to P. Canaveral from Savannah GA (4 hrs or so), so we'll forego spending $$ on a hotel and spend it on the ship instead.

How early can we board?

Parking is now $10.00 a day. Pay in cash rather than a credit card and you should have little or no wait to park. There was a golf cart driving around to transport people from the parking lot to the embarkation area. We walked as the golf cart was always full. Not that long of a walk, anyway.

You will love this ship!

There is some good information about parking at Port Canaveral at http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/directions.htm#parking

We have been on the Zaandam and although it is $10/day and the fact that it is not covered parking, it is in a very safe place. I agree with a previous poster that said that it might be cheaper to stay at a local hotel (Cocoa Beach has lots of hotels with shuttles) and have the hotel get you to/from the pier.

I've read many times that the Comfort Inn is a terrible place to stay before a cruise. Old, smelly, terrible employees,,, I've not stayed there, just relating what I have read on previous postings for HAL and Carnival. We plan on staying at the Radisson, and I have heard there are other nearby places to stay including RonJon.

When you get to the exit off I95 you will have no problems finding the correct pier. Very well laid out and you can tell they have been hosting cruise ships a long long time.

Jim

Archived