Beach Access for physically challenged?

stacieps

I'm cruising on the Glory in December with my mother and grandmother. This is my grandmother's 1st cruise. At home she uses a walker and when out she uses a wheelchair. Is there anywhere that you think we'd be able to access for her to go swimming? Swimming is something she would love to do. I'm hoping to find out if there is a beach that isn't too wide that she might be able to walk to the water with assistance or if there is a beach that has beach wheelchairs that we could use to get her down to the water.

Do the beaches have chairs available to rent? Can you bring into shallow water?

Thanks for any info!

Magen's Bay would be your best bet. The access to the beach from the parking is flat and the water fairly close. I would think a walker would work and it can go right into the water. No one will take it! I have seen this done several times. If she can stand ( with help) from a swimming position she should be alright. The water is shallow for quite a ways out and is usually very calm, no surf. I hope it works for her.:)

B.

Hello,

You might also consider Secret Harbor. It has a relatively flat path to the beach and then short distance of sand to the water. Also they have a dive shop there that specializes in dive instruction for people that are mobility challenged. They have wheelchairs that can go in the water; they are focused on diving however you might contact them and see if they might rent them for use on that beach. Here is their website http://aadivers.com/disabilities.htm. I can't think of any other beaches that have beach wheelchairs.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived