New to Snorkeling - Need Advice

dougnliz

We will be in St. Thomas & St. Marrten's in about 2 weeks. We are new to snorkeling but have been reading everything here. We have our own snorkels and masks but would like to rent fins and vest. Also, what do you do with your personal items, towels, shoes and etc. We will have money and ID with us at all times. Have read that you do not want to leave anything on the beach. Thanks for any replies.

We will be in St. Thomas & St. Marrten's in about 2 weeks. We are new to snorkeling but have been reading everything here. We have our own snorkels and masks but would like to rent fins and vest. Also, what do you do with your personal items, towels, shoes and etc. We will have money and ID with us at all times. Have read that you do not want to leave anything on the beach. Thanks for any replies.

It probably depends mostly on where you are snorkeling. If it's coki beach, then no, do not leave anything on the beach of value. Sapphire is a little different and probably safer.

Before leaving for your cruise, go buy yourselves waterproof sealed cases made by Witz. They come in all sizes and you'll be able to find the best that suits your needs. Only take what you absolutely need.

We're just back from Coki Beach, where I snorkeled for the first time (I don't even swim). I found a waterproof case on Amazon.com for less than $15 that was large enough to carry our S&S cards, cash, an inexpensive watch, and would have even held my cellphone if I'd had it with me. I was able to tie it to a loop on my swimtrunks and stick it into one of my velcro-fastened pockets. My digital camera was around my neck in a terrific DiCaPac waterproof case I found on eBay.

I doubt anyone would steal your towels, beach blanket, etc. Of course, you never know, but, I don't know that it's worth worrying over too much. If it comes to that, I suppose you could take turns in the water, while one guards the stuff.

Oh, and at Coki, they ask you to leave an ID as a deposit for any snorkel or fins you rent. I didn't feel comfortable doing that, so they let me leave a $10 deposit instead. Whereas at Virgin Gorda in Tortola, they ask for a $30 deposit for rental, but if you're short, they'll let you leave ID instead.

Coki beach has lockers for $5. You can also rent chairs at $5 a piece. the beach is small but if you want to snorkel this is a great place to do it. You will see tons of fish by the rocks on both sides. We saw parrot fish, snappers, trumpet fish, needle nose gar, sergent majors, squirrel fish and even a trunk fish on the far side opposite of coral world. Have fun!

JMO- go to St John While you are in St Thomas and snorkel Trunk Bay...its a national park and they have lockers there. Also they have a great snorkel "path" with signs on the bottom of the ocean floor....

Archived