oceania insignia to S. America

howardatl

We, too are sailing in January. We are on the 1/3 trip. We had originally been on the SA/Anartica trip but my Mother is 94, and we wanted to be with her over the holidays. I know we will get to go to Antartica another time (at least I hope so). Which date are you sailing.

I've not been on this line, but the owners have the right combo to put a successful line together. Mr. Watters was with Crystal, and we sailed her several times. Never sailed with Ren, but I understand Mr. Del Rio is excellent, and the two combined should bring a successful line to us that is not one of the mega ships.

We love Princess also, and we did Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess which was a former Ren ship. We loved her. Just our size. Of course you may already know all about these ships.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy to find someone else on this cruise-I was starting to think we were the only ones. Are you going to BA ahead of time? If so, did you make your own hotel arrangements or use Oceania? I need to get more info out of my TA to make a decision. Thanks.

We are also on the 1/3 cruise out of BA. Due to time constraints, we are spending only one night in BA and none in Santiago. I booked the Oceania pre-cruise because it was price competitive and convenient. Using Oceania's package allowed us to avoid a $50 per person air deviation charge so the $250 per couple charge for one night was not out of line.

You will get other opinions on this subject. Just do your research and make an informed decision on what best meets your needs.

We are also on the 1/3 cruise out of BA. Due to time constraints, we are spending only one night in BA and none in Santiago. I booked the Oceania pre-cruise because it was price competitive and convenient. Using Oceania's package allowed us to avoid a $50 per person air deviation charge so the $250 per couple charge for one night was not out of line.

You will get other opinions on this subject. Just do your research and make an informed decision on what best meets your needs.

A voice of reason in our midst..an informed decision based on your needs !

Thanks so much !!

Jan

We chose the 2 pre in BA and 2 post in Santiago via the cruise line. With all that is going on in the world these days, I felt comfortable with their bookings, and those Marriotts, I understand, are very nice. We did some research on the accommodations, but then discussed it, and when our TA contacted us, we chose the Oceania package.

Sure look forward to meeting you all.

Thanks for the info - I'm waiting for my TA to confirm availability at the BA Marriott hopefully for 3 nights. We took the "free" air from Oceania but then was quoted $69. pp for transfers. If we take the hotel package which includeds transfers it really makes the package price even more attractive. Looking forward to discussing this trip with all of you over the months to come.

There are cheaper ways to do transfers in BA than the $70 per person that Oceania is charging, but having them included in the pre-cruise package is certainly a plus. It was one of the features that made the pre-cruise package attractive for us. Another is the hotel tax, which is 21% according to the Marriott site, and also included in the package.

Yes, hotel tax in BA is 21%!!! So always make sure to figure it in - or see if it's included - when making your decisions.

Also find out if breakfast is included in the tarif. That can also make a big difference in your daily rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off the boards for a while, and I have learned that Oceania now has the Iguazu Falls tour for the 1/3/05 cruise. Does anyone have any comments about Iguazu Falls? I'm not sure we want to do that but maybe tour Buenos Aires. I don't want to miss out on an interesting trip, but I would be interested in what you all have found out about this trip.

I've been off the boards for a while, and I have learned that Oceania now has the Iguazu Falls tour for the 1/3/05 cruise.
The Iguaçu Falls excursion is offered during the Feb 2 cruise (BA to Rio). On that itinerary it fits in during the 2-day stop at Paranagua. The price is shown as $799.99 per person. I don't see such a trip listed for the Jan 3 cruise yet, but there is a post-cruise trip described in the Feb 2 itinerary that might be what you are talking about. This post-cruise trip to Iguaçu Falls is not priced yet and per the description, would depart from BA.

Does anyone have any comments about Iguazu Falls? I'm not sure we want to do that but maybe tour Buenos Aires. I don't want to miss out on an interesting trip, but I would be interested in what you all have found out about this trip.
We would love to go to Iguaçu Falls. We are booked on the Dec 17 cruise, and think that after a 17-day cruise and a couple of nights in BA, we would probably be better to postpone our plans for Iguaçu Falls to a later date.

We chose the 2 pre in BA and 2 post in Santiago via the cruise line. With all that is going on in the world these days, I felt comfortable with their bookings, and those Marriotts, I understand, are very nice. .

I can't imagine what you mean about what is going on in the world as far as booking hotels with the cruise line. What's the connection? I also booked 2 days in Santiago and 2 in BA, but did the booking myself saving a lot of money for luxury accomadations. In Santiago I will be at the same hotel Oceania uses (Ritz) at a much cheaper rate. The hotel will arrange the transfers at a good price.

What I meant by referring to what is going on in the world today was independent travel. Perhaps you are in a protected environment somewhere, but the world is not as it was years ago. You must be considerably younger.

Should something happen that creates a problem with us getting to or from our destination, the cruise line will carry that liability as opposed to booking independently. I find that even booking separately, they have obtained excellent prices and travel arrangements. We are quite pleased with them and our agent. I travel extensively, so I must say that I feel I am pleased with Oceania's rates and service.

But that is differing opinions, so I am pleased that you are happy with your arrangements. Have a nice and safe trip.

What I meant by referring to what is going on in the world today was independent travel. Perhaps you are in a protected environment somewhere, but the world is not as it was years ago. You must be considerably younger.

Should something happen that creates a problem with us getting to or from our destination, the cruise line will carry that liability as opposed to booking independently. I find that even booking separately, they have obtained excellent prices and travel arrangements. We are quite pleased with them and our agent. I travel extensively, so I must say that I feel I am pleased with Oceania's rates and service.

But that is differing opinions, so I am pleased that you are happy with your arrangements. Have a nice and safe trip.

I'm 62 although I don't know what that has to do with it it! I have traveled to 6 continents. Does that count as 'extensive?' This will be not be my first trip to South America. If terrorists were to blow up our hotel, I don't think who booked the room would matter much. I also think a bus full of American tourists makes a far better target than a private car. Come to think of it, a cruise ship full of 'wealthy' Americans might be considered a prime target. Living in the middle of a major US city, as I do, doesn't seem like a very 'protective environment' to me. I returned in May from a 3 week trip to Europe during which we traveled independently after a 12 day cruise. Luckily, there were no problems during either part of the trip.

As you say, just a different point of view!

The last time I can remember reading about a cruise ship being the target of terror was the Achille Lauro incident back in 1985. Gosh, that's in the same time period that the US (Rumsfeld) was trying to butter up Saddam Hussein. My how things have changed!

To add the Iguazu Falls trip for the pre cruise for 1/3, they want $999 per person for one night in BA, one night at Iguazau Falls and the tours, and then back on the 3rd to board the ship. I must say that even on Silver Seas, Crystal, etc. I have never heard of such an outrageous price for a side two-day tour. When checking rates on the web, they aren't anywhere near these. I am truly disappointed. Guess we will stick with our original 3 pre and 2 post and spend a lot less.

Is Oceania really that expensive for their trips? I am sooo surprised and disappointed. I changed from the Amsterdam to the Insignia because of the owners and having been on Crystal with their superb service and benefits, but now I am having serious second thoughts.

Even for business class upgrades on the other lines, we never paid more that $500. Hummmmm what is going on?

To add the Iguazu Falls trip for the pre cruise for 1/3, they want $999 per person for one night in BA, one night at Iguazau Falls and the tours, and then back on the 3rd to board the ship. I must say that even on Silver Seas, Crystal, etc. I have never heard of such an outrageous price for a side two-day tour. When checking rates on the web, they aren't anywhere near these. I am truly disappointed. Guess we will stick with our original 3 pre and 2 post and spend a lot less.

According to HAL's web site (http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/excursion.do?tourId=1067&dest=070000), their Iguacu Falls tour is $799 per person for a one day trip (no hotels). Is the Oceania $999 for a hotel in BA and then at the falls really outrageous in your opinion? I wasn't able to find prices for Silversea or Crystal. Do you know how much their tours to Iguacu Falls cost?

One night hotel in BA at Marrriot on your own is about US $160 plus 21% tax.. no transfers from here to there.. ( i.e. airport to hotel and hotel to ship or which ever way)...

Iguazu falls, Sheraton which has the views was charging $ 250ish last check per night and up plus that 21% tax... one night..so assuming $799. Ship transfer to airport,air lines to the falls area with transport / airport to hotel, gratuities, dinner/breakfast, tour to falls transfers, to airport to ship again.. um probably a bit over a bit but probably when you get down to it not much.. and it's a no brainer.. & if there is a glitch at least with the ship tour the ship will be waiting for you..

Everyone seems to have great questions relative to cost comparisons. I guess I am just used to being taken care of by Crystal, Seabourn, Princess, and Silver Seas, and I really didn't question their difference except that it seemed quite reasonable. I'm not complaining, please understand that. I only voiced an opinion and asked a question. Seems these board become quite "offensive" if there is a question about anything. There aren't any constructive evaluations--just defensive remarks. I've used this board for some time, but for some reason recently, everyone seems to be on the defense.

I apologize. I will no longer comment, but just continue to do my own thing as I have for many years. Somehwat disappointing; however.

Guess too many lines went to the $399 groups and now those folks are jumping in questioning everything.

Have a great day.

Seems these board become quite "offensive" if there is a question about anything. There aren't any constructive evaluations--just defensive remarks. I've used this board for some time, but for some reason recently, everyone seems to be on the defense.
Spindrift,

I hope you don't think my response to your previous post was "offensive". With respect to the Oceania Iguuca Falls trip, you said "I have never heard of such an outrageous price for a side two-day tour." This statement didn't put me on the "defensive", it only made me wonder what specific information you used to make the statement. I would still like to know how much the tour costs on the other cruise lines. If the information I found for HAL is not correct, please let me know where the correct information can be found. If you have the costs for the other cruise lines, I would certainly find that to be of interest.

I would hope that most of the folks on this board are open minded. After all, we are all searching for the most satisfying cruise experience, and the more we know, the more likely we will get what we want.

phlewt

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since reviewing the comments of others about the costs of the trip to Iguazu Falls and their responding to my feelings about the cost, I did extensive research, and I wish to offer my apologies for reacting to the cost of the trip. It seems that they are right in line with what is available should we chose to do it on our own.

I know some lines offer a comp trip relative to the trip they are doing, so maybe I thought that might happen. No, I did not expect it, so again, don't get me wrong. Anyway, to those I might have offended about the rate, I apologize. They were, in fact, somewhat reasonable for that trip.

Archived