Princess -vs- Royal Caribbean

Zaffaris

I will be cruising the Eastern Caribbean in January. I am undecided on Royal Caribbean or Princess. I have not cruised with either of these companies before, although I have heard pros and cons about both. I would be either taking the Star Princess or the Explorer of the Seas. Has anyone cruised with both companies and/or both vessels? Anyone have any preferences and why they prefer one over the other?

It really doesn't matter which ship you choose. We like Princess best as the ships have a better feel to them for us. We like the food and service in the dining room better and the entertainment is good. The buffet on RCL is better than Princess. The ships on RCL are very nice but I think the cabins are slightly larger on Princess in the same categories. The Star doesn't have the rock climbing wall or ice skating but it does have fresh water pools whereas RCL uses salt water. I would choose whichever itinerary is what you want at the price you want to pay.

I prefer princess for a few reasons. The biggest reason is personal choice dining. I really like being able to eat in the nice dining rooms anytime I want and with anyone or just the 2 of us. It really gives flexiblity and I don't feel like my vacation is timed around meals.

I also feel princess has a more glamourous appeal. Royal has really positioned themselves as a family ship. Hence it is more casual. Princess just has more elegance. The pools thing is also great. The non salt water is awesome!

Archived