a few notes about our day in Halifax

chessie68

Just want to give you a few notes about our day in Halifax on the Dawn this past week. ( tuesday 9/5) We had a down pour of rain when we left NYC. We did not stop at Martha's Vineyard because of the rain, gale winds and 12 to 18 ft waves. The captain was able to sail us out of the rain and gave us a nice sea day but they were calling for rain in Halifax. I believe they said 30% chance of rain. We put our rain ponchos in our back pack and off we went. There were venders set up in the terminal. I believe they all took American money but I had decided to use my credit card for purchases in Canada. We first stopped at the visitors center in the terminal. I told them we had intended to take the FRED bus to the citadel and to the public gardens. She gave me a detailed map of Halifax and drew the bus route and indicated all the stops. The FRED didn't start till 10:30 so we shopped at the pier till then. FRED stands for Free Ride Everywhere Downtown. The Hop on Hop off bus was $38. I'm sure there was more commentary about the town and the history but our FRED driver gave us a bit of a commentary too. We got to the Citadel just in time for the change of the century. Note: They have walkers with seats and wheel chairs at the visitors center that you can borrow. We picked up a walker with a seat for my mother. She has trouble with long distances and needs to sit now and then. The Citadel is pretty big and really not many places to sit. The walker worked out great. We watched the noon cannon presentation and the mini concert they give afterwards, and had lunch in the little coffee shop they have there. The coffee shop takes cash only but they will take American money and give you back change in Canadian money. The key is to use small bills.

Our next stop was the public gardens. The FRED bus stops are marked with green banners hanging from the light pole. The gardens were in full bloom. Beautiful! We walked about the garden for a while. There were plenty of benches for my mother to rest. We would park her on a bench and explore that portion of the gardens and then walk a while with her. When we left the gardens we saw FRED approaching. We had to cross the street twice, (Waiting for lights) and go up the block a bit. We knew we would never make it so we turned around and spent another 20 minutes in the garden. FRED comes every half hour. The hop on hop off stop was at the same place. I'm sure there were some advantages to taking the hop on hop off but we just needed transportation and FRED served out purposes.

We had intended to spend the rest of the day on the boardwalk but by this time we had worn out my mother. and it was already 3:30. We had to be back on board by 4:30.

It was a wonderful day and it did not rain a drop. I started out with a lite jacket and ended up taking it off.

We had a beautiful time in Halifax

Thanks for your review. We leave in a week. I am glad to hear that FRED worked out well for you. We are taking a ship's excursion but will have the afternoon free to explore Halifax and your review helped a lot in helping us decide about what to try to see and how to do it. Thanks!:)

This FRED bus, did you need any kind of ticket or anything. I know you said it is free, but wondering just how it works. Sorry I live in New York and we have absolutely NOTHING free here. LOL

I am trying to plan just in case my Bermuda cruise this Sunday ends up in Canada instead.

Do you take a specific bus # to the Citadel? How about the gardens

The FRED bus stop is right across the street from the terminal. You'll see a green Banner hanging from a black lamp post. The FRED Bus is also green with FRED across the side in large letters. The driver talked about each stop before we got there so we knew exactly where to get off. The Citadel was before the gardens on the route. The lady at the information center inside the terminal was very helpful.

The FRED bus was absolutely free, no ticket no nothing. You just stand at the bus stops and it will stop for you. It's paid for by the downtown business association.

I am trying to plan just in case my Bermuda cruise this Sunday ends up in Canada instead.

If they change the itinerary, you will definitely have to change you packing list accordingly :D When someone want to escape to hot weather and ends up in Canada, it's probably not very fun but there are very nice cities to visit here too.

If they change the itinerary, you will definitely have to change you packing list accordingly :D When someone want to escape to hot weather and ends up in Canada, it's probably not very fun but there are very nice cities to visit here too.

We are driving to the port so luggage weight is not an issue. We actually have a "just in case bag" packed with cooler weather clothes. If we dont need it we will just put it under the bed and not even unpack it. Otherwise the clothes are easily accessible.

Sue

Did you notice any car rental agencies in the dock area? We've been to Nova Scotia before, and we'd like to rent a car for the day and show our friends some places we enjoyed.

Hertz is located in the Train station about 100 yards from the terminal. Budget is on Hollis Street little more than a 1/2 mile away. Budget is less expensive.

Weather---it depends some times it will be in the 80's...

Archived