Refrigerating medication in my cabin

cls45

A group of us will be cruising New England/Canada on 9/23/06. One lady in our group is diabetic and will need to refrigerate her insulin. Does anyone know if balcony cabins on the Veranda deck have a refrigerator in them :confused:

I believe you'd be sailing on the Victory- if that's the case, only suites have refrigerators in them. I've also heard from nurses on these boards that insulin doesn't have to be refrigerated. You can always bring a cooler on board and put the insulin on the top while icing down your canned sodas and bottled waters though if that makes your friend feel more at ease.

A group of us will be cruising New England/Canada on 9/23/06. One lady in our group is diabetic and will need to refrigerate her insulin. Does anyone know if balcony cabins on the Veranda deck have a refrigerator in them :confused:

I suppose it either depends on your doctor or your medicine! I'm diabetic and I'm on insulin. The first type of insulin I was on HAD to be refrigerated (that is, if you belive what my doctor told me).

Now, I'm using Levemir, an injectable pen. Again, according to my doctor (and the brochure that comes with the medicine), it has to be refrigerated until it's opened and then it does not.

But, in answer to your question, I've always been able to leave my meds with the ship's infirmary. They will refrigerate it for you, or you can purchase a special insulated diabetic pack that will keep the meds insulated for several hours (check ebay or a medical supply store). Your room attendant will also provide you with ice and probably a cooler.

To be safe, I'd call Carnival's special needs department and ASK what options are available on your sailing/ship. It's always better to know in advance and the special needs people are very helpful!

Karen

Also be aware that if there are fridges...they don't keep things very cold. (at least that has been our experience) So allow me to forward a suggestion I read. Pack some ziplock bags in your luggage and when you board...fill them with ice and put them in the fridge to assist keeping things cold. They should not have to be refilled more than twice a day....and for the proper encouragement ($$$) I am certain your cabin steward would give you a hand.

Archived