Stateroom Size QM2 and QE2

qm2fan

I am looking for clarification on stateroom square footage on QM2 in particular. Can someone provide the size of a D4 and a D8 on QM2? I always heard it was 194. Now people tell me 157. Understand my confusion - this is no small difference and makes a big difference in what room I ultimately buy.

As for the QE2 - Can someone provide the footage of 4009 and 4016? Also am I reading the chart correctly that they have 3 lower beds?

Thanks for everyones help.

Cabins 4009 and 4016 on the QE2 are both 208 sq ft.

For the QM2 somebody else might give a better answer but here is my understanding: Cunard originally pretended the inside cabins had the same size as the outside, 194 sq ft. Yet, just one look at them or even at the photos or layouts reveals that this is not true. Now the official size given is 150 something.

QM2 inside cabins (D grades) are 157 sq ft.

The 194 was a mistake - they took the size of a balcony cabin and subtracted the balcony, but in fact the cabin itself is a lot smaller than a balcony cabin is. The balcony cabins have a sitting area; the insides don't.

These cabins are fine but they are definitely not large; don't buy one if size is important.

As for "three lower beds", that's really two lower beds and a sofa which becomes the third lower bed if there is a third person.

Hi ... Several years ago, we stayed in cabin 4009 on the QE2 ... it is very spacious, but very oddly laid out. There are two twin beds in the "usual" place; the third bed is a large sofa against the outer wall (just below the two, as I recall, portholes).

Beyond the second bed, but before the sofa, there is a second wash-stand area with its own sink and running water. That was occasionally useful for two folks, and would be even more so for three.

I was travelling with a mobility impaired person who mostly used a wheelchair, so the large size was a plus for us.

HOWEVER: the bathroom door is just inside the main door, and there is hardly any clearance between the door and the washstand (the door opens inward) ... we got the giggles every time we had to get into the bathroom ... it was like doing the "vertical limbo" ... it was REALLY tight ... If you are not petite, you might want to give this some thought ... (we were not petite and we survived, however).

NOW: This may all have been changed in a recent refit, but that's how it was two or three years ago. Hope this is helpful.

Actually, I remember 4009 with some fondness precisely because it was "quirky" ... Also, it is near the elevators to the Mauretania Dining Room "rear entrance" ... very convenient for us.

YankeeClippr

I looked at the deck plans and was concerned since our B2 5135 wasn't showing on deck 5 (its showing as a B4) In any event I called Cunard and they are B2's - apparently they redid the cabin #'s a while back and this particular 'plan' doesn't show the updates. It is very helpful though and I appreciate having it.

apparently they redid the cabin #'s a while back and this particular 'plan' doesn't show the updates.

It's not a matter of the cabin numbers changing; rather, the categories have been changed.

As far as I can remember, QM2's cabins have been re-graded twice already... First, after they realized that Deck 8 balconies had obstructed views, and second after Princess took over to add their customary "loss-leader" categories.

Possibly there have been even more re-gradings - I haven't kept track of her categories that closely.

So it is necessary to have the absolute latest plan in order to get your categories right.

I say "los leader" purely as a figure of speech - I don't think they're actually losing money. But Princess have for many years had a minimum category of each type of cabin (inside, outside, balcony etc.) that has only two cabins in it.

For QE2 these are: M7, M3, C6 and P4. (They didn't create a Q5.) These particular cabins were formerly M5, M2, C5 and P3 grades that were taken out of their original categories to create new categories with only two cabins in them.

Very often when they need to clear out some inventory they will flash specials that apply only two M7, M3, C6 and P4 grade guarantees. Of course with only two cabins in each category, most people booking an M7 guarantee wind up in an M6, people booking an M3 guarantee usually wind up in an M2, and so on.

Archived