West Caribbean Temps in December- Grand Princess

hurstbear

Hey there -

We are sailing on the Grand Princess on 09 December 2006 and were curious about the tempratures( land and sea) at the ports. We are wanting to do some of the excursions that are water related but based on the average temperatures we find were wondering if it might be too cool to enjoy.

thanks in advance..

Hey there -

We are sailing on the Grand Princess on 09 December 2006 and were curious about the tempratures( land and sea) at the ports. We are wanting to do some of the excursions that are water related but based on the average temperatures we find were wondering if it might be too cool to enjoy.

Hurstbear, you might want to come over to the Roll Call and ask your question. Quite a few people on the sailing have done this itinerary before and will be able to answer this for you.

See you there.

Becky

I was on the CCL Victory xmas cruise back in 12/4. Cozumel was less humid than in the summer, but still warm. The water was cooler, but still nice, although wife said it was too cold for her (she does have thyroid problems). Grand Cayman was warmer (we all enjoyed swimming there).

We didn't swim in Jamaica, but did the falls. Jamaice was the one place where thought it wasn't warm; it was hot!

I think that in December, the western is a bit warmer (maybe by a couple of degrees) than the eastern. I do know that I heard people returning on the then brand Valor that the easern carribean was cool, with cool water and rough going for snorkeling.

We were on the Grand the week after Thanksgiving last year and it was warm in all the ports, which are the same as this year except for Roatan instead of Grand Cayman this year. We swam at Cozumel and Costa Maya and I'm not much for cold water but I found it very comfortable. I can't imagine it would be much cooler just a couple of weeks later unless they have an unusually cool fall.

Hey there, hurstbear! Here's the link to our roll call thread, if you want to come back and chat with us. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269198&page=559

Like Becky said, several of us have sailed to some of the same ports in December before. I myself sail that same week every year and I've never had a problem with the water being chilly. It's usually pretty comfortable...and on land the temps are somewhere between 75 and 85. Last year it rained a bit while we were in Cozumel, but it was still warm. I couldn't tell you what the water temps were, but I do know that I have snorkeled both from shore and from a boat and it was never cold. And I HATE cold water!

Anyway, nice to see that you're still out here posting! Hope to see you on the other thread again soon.

We went to the W. Carib in February of 2005 (actually on Carnival). The water at Progresso was absolutely freezing(could barely dip our toe in!).:eek: Did not snorkel that time in Cozumel, but the water was really nippy and I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Water was good in Belize. I'm wanting to take a December cruise next year so can't wait to hear about the water temps! :o

I was on the CCL Victory xmas cruise back in 12/4. Cozumel was less humid than in the summer, but still warm. The water was cooler, but still nice, although wife said it was too cold for her (she does have thyroid problems). Grand Cayman was warmer (we all enjoyed swimming there).

We didn't swim in Jamaica, but did the falls. Jamaice was the one place where thought it wasn't warm; it was hot!

I think that in December, the western is a bit warmer (maybe by a couple of degrees) than the eastern. I do know that I heard people returning on the then brand Valor that the easern carribean was cool, with cool water and rough going for snorkeling.

I was on this same cruise! I would agree for the most part about the temperatures. Cozumel was very pleasant; the oceanwater was a little cool at first, but I adjusted very quickly. I found Grand Cayman a bit too hot for my liking (not a lot of shade) but the water was very comfortable. I also did the falls in Ocho Rios and thought the river was kind of cold. I never made it to the beach there. The air temperature in Jamaica was quite warm and humid but we spent most of the time in the shade, so it wasn't too bad. I live in Atlanta so I'm accustomed to heat and humidity.

Archived