afternoon snorkeling

aiminoh

We had to book the 1:00pm zodiac snorkeling tour since the 8:00am one was sold out. I've been reading that it is best to go in the am and hope that we won't be disappointed on our afternoon trip. Is there really that big of a difference in the water quality in the afternoon? Wondering if I should try to book independently instead of going through the ship to get a morning time.

Normally, the water is calmest in the morning. The calmer the water, the farther you can see underwater. When the water is choppy not only is visibility impaired underwater, it takes more energy to swim on the top of the water. If I can't get a morning trip I tend to skip the snorkeling.

Yes it is on Kona. I'm assuming with Captain Zodiac. The cruise line won't release the company they use due to some reason or other. Are there other zodiac tours on Kona? I've only heard of Captain Zodiac. I will try to see if we can get a morning booking somehow.

We did the 1:00 pm Captain Zodiac tour from Kona. The snorkeling was fine, we had a great time and the visibility was great. Of course conditions will vary from one day to the next.

There was at least one other company doing a similar tour with similar equipment. Their rafts are white while the Captain Zodiac rafts are black. We "raced" one for a bit on the way back. I didn't see the name of the other company though.

We are booked on Sea Quest on Oct 4th on our RCCL - Serenade cruise just before yours. After reading the comments we decided to go with them. It looks like they stop at more spots for a lower price. I think the cruise lines use Captain Zodiac where as Sea Quest doesn't. We are doing it on day 2 in Kona so that we can do the 7:45am boarding time. With the coupon on their website, it is $70 per person. We have rented a car and it is still less expensive then Captain Zodiac's. When I called, they seemed very pleasant and even gave me suggestions for other things to do on the islands.

Only the morning tour does more. Almost every cruise only gets one day so they can't do the morning tour. Your cruise is very unusual having an overnight at Kona, so you can do it. Good use of the opportunity. I would also look at the awesome waterfall hike out of kona, that's something you could only do with a second day overnight there...

MikeKaye - How far is the waterfall hike from Kona and how long does it take to complete. We have the rental car from 3pm on the 1st day to 3pm until the 2nd day so that we didn't have to pay 2 days car rental. The only thing that we have planned is the Sea Quest trip that is from 7:45am until around noon on the second day. Thanks for your help.

I have never done this but I would love to!!!

You could do seaquest, this hike, and then city of refuge on your own. That would be an awesome 2 day visit.

If you are interested I would call them on the phone directly to work out whether it is a good fit for you.

http://www.hawaii-forest.com/adv-waterfall.html

waterfall05.jpg

waterfall-slide01.jpg

waterfal.jpg

Look very closely at this last image to see if you can find the tiny people, and give you an idea how big this waterfall is!!

Hope you're not afraid of heights. :)

Thanks for the helpful information. Will we need to provide our own transportation to Seaquest ofc/boat or will they meet us near the pier? If not, are there taxi's nearby or should we rent a car for the day? If we doc at 0700 with NCL POA will we have enough time to make the 0800 snorkel tour? Thank you!

Karen and Doug

Those who don't have a 2nd day in Kona (almost everyone except jake3337) should do Captain Zodiac instead, which leaves from the same pier area the tender boat arrives on. You might as well book it through NCL because the price isn't very different. There's no way you're going to make the morning seaquest run.

Archived