P and O gay cruise

kaseyoz

In today's paper there is a story about P and O having a "gay cruise"

it is next years threedayer. The passengers who had orginally been booked have been given alternative options.

I just wonder what "today tonight" will make of this, i hope they dont try and run a smutty "look what p and o are doing now" story

It sound like a riot with bingay instead of bingo, showbags etc

I would love to be there on formal night:)

I read somewhere that the 3 nighter back in August was a gay cruise. Many of the other cruise lines have them too. I personally don't have a problem with gay people on a normal cruise but I suppose some people would. There are some very narrow minded people out there.

Karen

Hi All,

Below is the article from www.news.com.eu for those who want to read it. I wonder how the ship's staff will react to this? The last comment about the cruise repairing the sleazy reputation almost made me laugh!!

Cheers,

Chaz:(

Gay tour group forces families off P&O cruise

By Gemma Jones

September 11, 2006 01:00am

Article from: h14_dailytelegraph.gif</IMG>

A P&O cruise ship will be transformed into a floating Mardi Gras after a gay tour group chartered the liner, forcing families to cancel their holidays.

The NaviGAYtion cruise will head out of Sydney next March for a three-day cruise with 1800 people on board.

Bingay will replace bingo on P&O's Pacific Sun and condoms will be handed out in gift bags.

Organisers All Gay Cruises initially booked 300 places on a scheduled cruise, prompting P&O to begin negotiations to allow the company to charter the entire ship.

P&O suspended sales in May and struck a deal on Friday to charter Pacific Sun, with families who had booked before May told they needed to choose another cruise.

"There was confusion in the market regarding what the cruise was. At that stage it was just a normal three-night cruise," a P&O spokesman said.

"If a particular group wants to be dominant we would prefer a charter because we don't wish to have people who may have booked a particular cruise thinking it is just a normal product when it isn't."

The spokesman said it was the first all-gay ship charter in Australia.

Families have been contacted by P&O, alerting them to the changes.

"They said they knew there were men booking in a lot of cabins, men galore, they didn't know what was going on and they said they found out this gay company was advertising it as a gay cruise," one married woman said.

"So I said, 'Because I am straight, that's not a cruise for me' and they said, 'That's right'."

About 600 gays from as far afield as the US - and some of their straight friends, including one married couple - have already booked to sail. Suites with jacuzzis have already sold out.

The ship will not sail to a port but will be at sea for 65 hours.

Dance parties will be held on board and special events organised by staff employed by All Gay Cruises to "encourage everyone to mingle" and relax.

The company website promises an unparalleled experience and "65 hours of non-stop fun".

All Gay Cruises said it would encourage safe sex, with gift bags containing health information.

All Gay Cruises' Dave Drummond said the gay community would promote a caring environment on the ship and would welcome straight passengers.

Mr Drummond said he hoped the cruise would help repair the sleazy image of the industry following the death of Dianne Brimble on the Sun's predecessor, the Pacific Sky.

He said most passengers would want to "relax and enjoy the cruising experience, like fine dining" rather than partying non-stop.

All I can say is good on them.I reckon it is a great idea and they would make the most of it and party hard..:D And there will be people who think this should not happen, but hey GAYS are still people and bleed like all of us so all i can say is go for it and party hard;) ;) ;)...

I have to say I reckon that cruise would be a blast.

We had always wondered what the "Meet Bill W" thing was on the cruises. Then someone had worked out it was a meeting for gay people. Once we hit the US ships they had "Meet Bill W" and "Friends of Dorothy" now we were confused, was there one for guys and one for gals?

A little googling and now we know better. That "Bill W" was a founder of AA and it is a meeting for them and on the US ships they do have the meeting "Friends of Dorothy" for gay people.

(Mr Drummond said he hoped the cruise would help repair the sleazy image of the industry following the death of Dianne Brimble on the Sun's predecessor, the Pacific Sky.)

Well, I really don't think that comment will repair anything and I am one of those against such tours. Would they have a Hetero only cruise?? I think not. That turns me right off going on the Pacific Sun.:(

(I will now go away and put on my flame proof suit.)

IWe had always wondered what the "Meet Bill W" thing was on the cruises. Then someone had worked out it was a meeting for gay people. Once we hit the US ships they had "Meet Bill W" and "Friends of Dorothy" now we were confused, was there one for guys and one for gals?

A little googling and now we know better. That "Bill W" was a founder of AA and it is a meeting for them and on the US ships they do have the meeting "Friends of Dorothy" for gay people.

Yes the Bill W meetings are code for AA meetings. I remember we often wondered what it was for too. My Mum (Suey) reads the daily newsletter cover to cover, every word! and was trying to work out who Bill W was and why he was on every cruise we had been on. She decided to "stake out" the meeting one time which was scheduled to be held in the library. A few people walked in and out with Mum sitting in a chair looking at them all but nobody stayed. She was very embarrassed when she realised during a trivia quiz a few days later that Bill W was in reference to Bill Wilson the founder of AA and that she had been staking out an AA meeting. Then she got worried that people might think she was an alcoholic!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Reading the replies to the "Gay cruises". reminds me of a cruise last year on the Sun.

A notice in the morning daily said there would be a "tropical fruits " meeting at 10.30am . Being interested in tropical fruits I proceeded with two friends to the meeting being hosted by Demo. We soon left the room when we realised it was not the kind of Tropical fruits we imagined.

I think it is a good idea for P&O to have a Gay cruise. They have cruises for kids finishing school that they alone enjoy.

regards, Lorraine

I guess it is one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations. I see someone above was very muh against it, is that because you feel segregated and everyone should be treated equal? or is it because you just don't like the idea of it? I think the segregation needs to stop but unfortunately a gay or lesbian couple doing something as simple as holding hands in any straight environment can lead to abuse, segregation, assault and even death....terrible. SO what do they do? do they run around conforming to what others believe they should be or does someone like P&O offer them something where they can also have a holiday without having to worry about their safety. Good for you P&O although I don't think it will do anything towards instilling acceptance in the population

Rockie, you are free to choose not to go on this cruise on Pacific Sun if you feel you are going to be in a "minority" on the ship.... In much the same way that a lot of gay people choose not to go on any other cruise because they don't want to be the minority on board.

Remember though, that given the law of averages, there will be gay people on every cruise; both passengers and staff.

We are lucky enough to live in a free society where everyone is entitled to make their own decsions.

When all is said and done, P&O operate Pacific Sun, and Pacific Star, as a business, and they have every right to charter their ships to any group who is willing to pay the price. I don't see this cruise as any different to the Schoolies cruises (which aren't open to the public) or the Rugby Charter in NZ last year.

By chartering the entire ship out to the company organising the gay cruise P&O are removing the "risk" of passengers not in that group from having their cruise experience being spoilt by not getting what they expected.

On a lighter note - hopefully while this group is on board they'll do a Queer Eye for the Straight Ship makeover of the Atlantis Lounge - and indeed the ship overall :) :) :) :)

Kym

I guess it is one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations. I see someone above was very muh against it, is that because you feel segregated and everyone should be treated equal? or is it because you just don't like the idea of it? I think the segregation needs to stop but unfortunately a gay or lesbian couple doing something as simple as holding hands in any straight environment can lead to abuse, segregation, assault and even death....terrible. SO what do they do? do they run around conforming to what others believe they should be or does someone like P&O offer them something where they can also have a holiday without having to worry about their safety. Good for you P&O although I don't think it will do anything towards instilling acceptance in the population

Very very well said Linniee.

Thanks Sky. I think it's a great idea but unfortunate that it has to be like that. I am cruising next week and as excited as I am I am also very nervous as my partner and myself are same sexed. History shows us that some where along the line some person/s will realise we are lesbian and we will be either verbally abused, shunned or discussed like we are meaningless individuals, while other couples are dancing together, snuggling and and kissing under the stars and generally showing their adoration for each other we will have to sit at a reasonable distance from each other, would never dare to be seen even giving the other a kiss on the cheek and we have learnt a long time ago never to dance together in a public place. We have been together longer than the majority of marriages last, we both have very respectable, responsible jobs serving our local community and we raise two beautiful children, we are buying a home together and we have nothing but respect for each other and everyone else around us. SO a gay cruise would mean that the things that others take for granted, like showing affection for each other could also be experienced by the gay and lesbian community. It sometimes amazes me how people who show caring and affection for each other are shunned and ridiculed...........and yet those who treat those different from them in terrible, disrespectful ways often do so in the name of decency, religion and protecting values. I know which values I am proud to say I have.

Jumping off my soap box cause I got a cruise to pack for!!!!!!!!!

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Hi Liniiee. Hope you and your partner have a wonderful time. Whilst I myself am not gay I'm with you 100%. We had a lesbian couple on our cruise in April and yes I did notice it but didn't think much of it. I think that seeing a "straight" couple behaving in a romantic manner is almost as sickly as seeing a gay couple that way (there's a time & place for everything). I truly hope you enjoy your holiday as much as anybody else would.

Karen

We are leaving on the Sun on Sunday, my first holiday outside of Australia!!! I am so excited and I have so many things packed that I'm sure the airline is going to charge me a fortune to fly it all to Sydney. Are you booked on a cruise as well?

Thanks Sky. I think it's a great idea but unfortunate that it has to be like that. I am cruising next week and as excited as I am I am also very nervous as my partner and myself are same sexed. History shows us that some where along the line some person/s will realise we are lesbian and we will be either verbally abused, shunned or discussed like we are meaningless individuals, while other couples are dancing together, snuggling and and kissing under the stars and generally showing their adoration for each other we will have to sit at a reasonable distance from each other, would never dare to be seen even giving the other a kiss on the cheek and we have learnt a long time ago never to dance together in a public place. We have been together longer than the majority of marriages last, we both have very respectable, responsible jobs serving our local community and we raise two beautiful children, we are buying a home together and we have nothing but respect for each other and everyone else around us. SO a gay cruise would mean that the things that others take for granted, like showing affection for each other could also be experienced by the gay and lesbian community. It sometimes amazes me how people who show caring and affection for each other are shunned and ridiculed...........and yet those who treat those different from them in terrible, disrespectful ways often do so in the name of decency, religion and protecting values. I know which values I am proud to say I have.

Jumping off my soap box cause I got a cruise to pack for!!!!!!!!!

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I've been on 3 cruises with my male partner, and we've not experienced anythng negative from fellow passengers or crew. In fact, in our everyday life we been lucky not to experience this either.

We don't overtly "advertise" or relationship when we are out in public, holding hands and the like, even though it would be nice to live a world where we could openly do this, but on the other hand we don't try to hide it either.

On one of our cruises we went with my mother and my partners mothe, the four of us sharing a 4 share cabin, and it was interesting to gauge people trying to work out what the relationship between the four of us was.

You'll have a wonderful time on your cruise..... And you'll probably be surpised who many other gay couples there will be. I know we certainly haven't been the only couple on any of the cruises we have done.

I hope you don't mind me asking Liniiee but the 2 children you raise, did you adopt them? Are they going on the cruise with you? My DH works with a lesbian ( his best friend - who's partner - also a very good friend - used to work with them). They have a 15 y.o son that one of the girls had with their hubby. They are a lovely couple and they both love my DH to death. I have nothing whatsoever against gay people and generaly they are the nicest people you meet.

Karen

Well I guess it depends on what you classify as romantic, staring lovingly into each others eyes for hours on end and feeding each other their meal and then trying to chew it for them is certainly a little too romantic for me even *L* And one thing we always do is have a wonderful time where ever we go. That last post sounded very negative but it wasn't meant to but I think it's good for people to have some perspective and you know what!?!?..........................some of my best friends are straight, and all of my brothers are straight so I rather like straight people, even my kids are straight!! *chuckle*

Archived