Walking Around Belize City

shorties

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to walk around town or is their specific areas we should avoid?:confused:

Definitely dont walk around in Belize because of The High crime rate there and Drugs! My Neighbor came back from a cruise there last week and he was accosted by 3 Native Islanders and threatened if he didnt buy from them ,so he had to purchase all their junk for The $300.00 he was carrying in his pocket,I advised him not to be walking around off the beaten track or out of the tourist area!

and he shouldnt have been carrying all that cash on him, So stay where its safe!, or book a Tour of the Island and stay where its safe! Walk around Town at your own risk!

Shorties,

You are going to get a lot of different answers. Two years ago, we had to visit a local dentist. (long story, great ending.) The dentist was located on the main street in town. We went by taxi, but chose to walk back. Glad we did. We met friendly people and had lunch at a local restaurant. (Enjoyed watching the local dog stick his head through the door and watch us eat. You don't get that everyday in the states!)

As with any city, stay on the main streets. Yes, we were approached to purchase various items, but politely said no thank you and they walked away.

I just depends on you and your comfort level. We were a family of four. Me, DH, DS 10 and DD 8. Would I walk without DH? nope!

My thought is you visit a country to get it's true flavor. Not the sanitized version provided in the gates. If you only want that, save a bunch of money and visit Disney World. JMHO.

This summer, we had the chance to visit again. We did the Shark/Ray Alley Snorkel trip with beach time in Caulker Caye. It was awsome!

Did not get a chance to go into the city again, and kind of missed it.

Enjoy Belize,

Shorties,

My mom and I visited Belize this past July and we did exactly that, wandered around the city by ourselves. (It was raning in the morning and our excursion got cancelled, so we ventured out rather than stay in the boring port area.) Let me say that some of the locals can be very pushy, but I also met several that were just great! We walked all the way downtown and through downtown by ourselves and I didn't feel unsafe, but I was very careful about my surroundings and exactly where we went. Like we stayed on the main streets and didn't go down any side streets at all. (Those are where the scary stuff is more likely to happen).

This is a very poor city/country and we had several people approach us for money, and my mom gave some to a few but then she began feeling uneasy and I explained to her how to politely refuse and just how to handle herself in this kind of situation. It was really eye opening to see how these people really live, not just what is portrayed in the touristy areas. I also had brought some bags of candy and gave it out to the children I met in the town. They absolutely loved it! (they taught me that they do not call it candy, they call it "sweets" & also they didn't know how to eat the pixie sticks and I had to teach them). It was an awesome experience for me.

I have to say that I really enjoyed just walking around and experiencing their culture, meeting and talking with the local people, children, and buying some of their homemade goods. (they were less than half the price of the same items inside the port area). There really isn't much more than that to do if you're walking. That's something I enjoy doing, so it was great for me. But you have to decide if that's for you or not. But do be careful if you decide to go this route. It's much like anywhere you go, you have your scary characters/thugs and you have the genuinely nice, awesome people. I wasn't going to let the bad ruin the opportunity to get to know the good.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have... feel free to ask! Here are a few of the photos I got with the kids I met.

2m7c2f9.jpg

2u8kqcg.jpg

Michelle

Once you tender to the dock, they've built a huge complex with all the usual ticky-tacky shops full of junk for you to hang around in. They've done everything they can to keep you from actually going into the city. You have to find the way out of the maze of shops and this includes going past gaurds.

Once you do it's very,very poor. I found my way to a flea market not far from the port and got some excellent bargains on little things (purses, bracelets, placemats, etc.) The people we encountered were all amazingly nice. And I wouldn't hesitate to go back there or to venture into a local eatery.

I WOULD as a precaution leave any nice jewelry (I didn't wear my wedding ring and my husband left his Rolex) on board. You may want to take one emergency credit card (you'd be surprised how many street vendors whip out a Visa terminal on you) and some cash and put it in a pocket that can't be picked without your notice. My husband wore cargo shorts and had stuff stashed in about ten different pockets, all buttoned. We never felt in danger or even like we were being targeted. I don't think Belize is any more dangerous then say Antigua or Jamaica but downtown is not a pretty site and left me feeling rather ashamed of floating around on what the local kids call "The Palaces".

MsMiMi, thanks for the info on walking around Belize City. It's one of two choices I have for the day in Belize. The other is snorkeling at one of the Cayes, but I do like to walk around and do exactly as you described your visit. My wife and I also liked your idea of taking some candy and distributing it among the chiildren. Oh, by the way, thanks for the photos. My wife loved your top and wants to know where you got it since we are from Northern Kentucky and she visits Lexington alot.:)

Take a look at the State Dept guidelines for Belize City. I was first there about 15 years ago, and noticed a bobby(cop) following us about--later realized that he was there to protect us, not just being wierd. More recently, more wierd guys and fewer cops. In 3 trips, apparent homeless guys have called the women whores, in a loud voice, twice. This is 2 different women, wife and sister, conservatively dressed on trips many years apart. The first time, the guy was taken in by police, the second in the same area; no cops around that I saw.

All are at risk in Belize City. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to arrange a trip with a private company online or on the dock, or a taxi driver out front of the cruise terminal, for a daytrip.

Cheese and crackers. Belize is one of the few countries (English speaking, no less) in the world the United States has not pissed off.

Are there isolated incidents? Yes. Are you safer there than in your hometown? Probably.

If the State Dept were allowed to issue warnings about travel inside the 50 states? Don't want to go there!

We were there last month and walked all around the city, we also found the flea marlet and got some really great deals (much cheaper than the pier shops) I never felt unsafe but i did feel uneasy a few times, we had a few people follow us around either wanting money are trying to sell us trinkets, one woman asked us if we wanted our hair braided we told her "no thankyou" and kept walking, she followed us around for 10 minutes calling us names because we did not want our hair braided, we just ignored her and kept walking.

MsMiMi, thanks for the info on walking around Belize City. It's one of two choices I have for the day in Belize. The other is snorkeling at one of the Cayes, but I do like to walk around and do exactly as you described your visit. My wife and I also liked your idea of taking some candy and distributing it among the chiildren. Oh, by the way, thanks for the photos. My wife loved your top and wants to know where you got it since we are from Northern Kentucky and she visits Lexington alot.:)

Ahhhh, you're most welcome. Candy was a great idea that I also got from CC. If you decide to do this, here's another suggestion: one thing I wish I had brought but didn't was dog treats too. The dogs were soooo skinny and they would have really loved 'em.

The shirt came from Kohl's, which I'm sure you probably have in Northern Ky. Hope you guys have a great time no matter what you decide to do, and make sure you let us know how it goes... lemme know if you have any more questions!

Michelle

My husband & I are going to go snorkling and want to walk around with any time we have left. I have heard good & bad about Belize City. It is a 3rd world country with many poor people, but that is what I find unique & a special. I haven't been to Belize yet, but we have been to Jamica and went off the beaten tourist path of Cancun.

DON'T !!!

my husband is sheriff's deputy

and we were both very uncomfortable to put it mildly

we were hounded by people wanting handouts, the only way to dodge them- even after saying no- was to duck into a shop- then hard to get out of the shop with out buying anything!

the city was filthy and smelled

and the shops weren't anything you couldn't miss

most looked like pawn shops to me with strange mishmash of products

enjoy an excursion!!!

the one plus was in the tourist village at the wet lizard- the taco's are great!

My husband and I did an excursion to Altun Ha and then spent the rest of the time in Belize City walking around in 2005. I felt fine.

I live and work in Wilmington, DE, which is also fine, but can definately have its "bad" neighborhoods (my husband works in one). I felt like Belize City was much like Wilmington in terms of safety. We walked really far back in to the city too -- not just in the places close to the port.

Although, I will say that many people thought my husband was from Belize, so that may have made a difference.

Do the daily reports of robberies keep you from visiting places like Philly, NYC, DC etc....?

My husband and I did an excursion to Altun Ha and then spent the rest of the time in Belize City walking around in 2005. I felt fine.

I live and work in Wilmington, DE, which is also fine, but can definately have its "bad" neighborhoods (my husband works in one). I felt like Belize City was much like Wilmington in terms of safety. We walked really far back in to the city too -- not just in the places close to the port.

Although, I will say that many people thought my husband was from Belize, so that may have made a difference.

Do the daily reports of robberies keep you from visiting places like Philly, NYC, DC etc....?

"YES"!

Well that says a lot about your background and upbringing!:rolleyes: The typical NY Snobbish better than you attitude;) Id rather have my Backwoods than your Overpacked City anytime! No disrespect to the other good New Yorkers who treats others as they would be treated! And BTW theres "ZERO" Crime and congestion in my Backwoods!;) :p

Well that says a lot about your background and upbringing!:rolleyes: The typical NY Snobbish better than you attitude;) Id rather have my Backwoods than your Overpacked City anytime! No disrespect to the other good New Yorkers who treats others as they would be treated! And BTW theres "ZERO" Crime and congestion in my Backwoods!;) :p

And another thing I never made a rude remark about NY or Philly! Only Yes to your Question if I would be safe walking around in your state I didnt cal it a Dirty City Crime Ridden Packed city or any of the other things I could think of You Insulted me and My State by Calling it Backwoods so Thats why I posted to you my feelings in response to your Insult! To all other New Yorkers I Apologize but that was a severe Insult to me! I hope all of you Other Good New Yorkers Understand! My Sister was Raped and Robbed in New York and I really didnt want to put that down! If you all want to jump on me go ahead and get your Pound of Flesh I dont Care!

I was there last week. We took an excursion that took us through the city and then out. There is no way I would have walked around in the city. It was very poor, very run down, and lots and lots of people around (it was Belize Independence Day, so lots of people were out in the streets).

Our guides for the tour were wonderful, but honestly, I did not feel safe in the city itself. I felt pefectly safe outside the city and it was very beautiful. Take a tour. The country is beautiful.

• 3 months later...

We went on a west carib. cruise in july of 06. Our excursion to the ruins was cancelled due to rain, so we walked through belize city. We loved it, yes we had a few people approach us to buy some stuff, but just say no and they left us alone. We saw one of the most interesting churches, St john i believe, me being an amatuer photographer, I was in heaven. We wandered around and it had its nice areas, and not so nice. But me being from Camden NJ, and working in wilmington de, ive seen alo worse! All in all, we had a great time, and i cannot wait to get back to belize soon!

As others have said, it all depends on your comfort level.

My wife and I have went to Belize in 2004, and the city area is really very rundown, I would not feel entirely comfortable having wife subjected to being confronted by angry locals.

I am not sure where all the millions of dollars that the cruise ship industry brings in, is going but it really isn't helping the majority of the population.

We'll be there in February again, on the NCL Sun...and we have booked a shore excursion to XUNICHTICH (sorry about the misspelling)

Summing up...Belizeans are friendly folks, who are proud of their country, and while rundown is probably no more unsafe than if I were to walk around southwest Little Rock.

Bad example I'd be dead in 5 to 10 mins.

I wouldnt walk around the city. We have been there twice. The first time we made the mistake of leaving the secured port area and were hounded the second we left the gates by several locals. We looked around the street market and went into a few shops. We didnt find any great buys outside the port. When we tried to return to the port area a couple very large Belizian's blocked the sidewalk and were trying to keep us from re-entry into the port. A police officer that was guarding the gate quickly and not so gently removed them from our path and ushered us inside the gates. I would not leave the port area without a reputable quide.

We enjoyed the port area and found the shops, restaurants, entertainment to be very good. The prices were very moderate.

Archived