First QM2 Cruise Journal 9/2/06

nuekruizer

I took my first cruise ever on the QM2 Labor Day Cruise from NY to Halifax. Embarkation at Red Hook went fairly smoothly despite the long lines of passengers. As you pull up to the terminal, your bags are immediately wisked away by porters. After processing and receiving my room key , I found my room and attempted to use the key. It didnt work!. Gee, I thought, I am off to a good start. Several stewards were also unable to open the door. Frustrated, we trudged down to the Pursor and was told that our deluxe balcony room had been given away since the ship was fully booked. Would we mind an upgrade to a Junior Suite? Would I mind? I got Room 10051. The room and balcony are 381 sq ft. There was french champayne,strawberries, bowl of fruit and fresh orchids. The balcony seemed huge and could easily fit 6 adults. We even used it in the storm as it was fairly protected from the elements. The views were so spectacular that I could never sail again without a glass balcony. The trip started out rough with 20 foot waves and near gale force winds. As I swayed to and fro on my cane I wondered what agony I was in for., but alas I never got sick and although rainy and windy during most of the trip, the seas did die down and the remainder of the trip was delightful. Channel 39 on the TV has the Captains address each day which was quite informative. You can also get days activities on Channel 33. Each night the next days program is delivered to your cabin so you can plan activities. The great thing about getting into the Princess Grill is that since you can dine from 6:30 to 9:00, it gives you more flexibility in planning more activities and shows. Lunch at Kings Court first day was quite hectic. Agree on a seat and hold a table for each other prior to getting your lunch. The Mayfair shops: some are too pricey, ie: Hermes small suede bag $ 1117.00 ! but Logo shop and others were reasonable. You could get a lovely white wine with engraved model of the QM2 on it for $12.00 duty free. Explored the ship, had dinner at the grill, off to the Welcome Show at 7:45, then Martinis from large menu ( Commodor Club.)Ordered some late night snacks from free room service and sat on the deck listening to the sea roar. The room service menu is small, but the food is delicious and much better quality than in Kings Court. Heavenly!. End of first day. Anybody interested in day 2?:D

We were also on the Halifax Labor Day cruise. First time at Red Hook and loved it...we left home in NJ at 11:20 and were in our cabin just before 12:20...less than one hour door to door. The only problem we encountered was leaving the parking lot. Many people ahead of us didn't realize that they had to pay for parking BEFORE getting their car. Rather than having them turn around and go back to pay, they let them get out of their cars (holding everyone up behind them!), run up to the machine to pay and have the ticket validated, then run back to their car to proceed through the gate. Glad we were close to the front of the line when this started...it didn't take long for a VERY LONG line of cars to build up behind us because so many people hadn't paid before trying to leave.

Loved Halifax, even in the rain, and looking forward to returning some day.

Thanks for writing, nuekruizer. Great start, we're all eager for more. My wife and I enjoyed being in 10051 from May 23 to June 4 this year. Remember, should you feel any queasiness next voyage, that all that crystallized ginger on the side table as you leave the Princess Grill is there because the stuff really does prevent seasickness.

Paul

And we enjoyed meeting Neukruizer!

(Hi, Linda and Julia!)

As for getting your car out of hock, We asked on our way in. They told us to pay at the machine when we drive out. Only problem for me was, I didn't realize it didn't take Discover, and I went crazy looking for my Visa Card- Finally gave the attendant cash. So if I was one of those who held you up, I apologize!) I don't thinkso, as we dawdled around and didn't leave right away.) You should have seen me emptying my entire overstuffed huge bag, looking for the little sports wallet that held my Visa card! I should have remember from January that Port Authority doesn't take Discover!

Karie

Archived