Dress Code on Dawn Formal Night question

lsabe

Do many people dress in tuxedo's on formal night. The reason I am asking is because I own a tuxedo, but if the majority of cruisers do not wear one, I would rather not wear mine. Would a suit be appropriate. I know that you can wear whatever you want, but please advise if formal attire is more abundant. It's one big pain putting on a tux, but the wife is pestering the heck out of me. Would appreciate your response.

1. All men look great in Tuxes.

2. less than 1/2 of the men will be wearing them. The warmer its outside the less likely you will want to wear it.

3. If you want to use the formal dining room you should be dressed in a suit(IMO anyaway).

4. Some people won't be wearing a suit or tux but will be in the formal dining room anyway.

5. Its only for a couple of hours. Unless you are traveling a long distance, I would do what the wife asks.

6. I have been on the Dawn twice and I own two tuxes(for when I am skinny and when I am not). I didn't take them either of them either time. However we go to formal tux events 3-4 times a year(or more) so my wife and I get to dress up a fair amount. Both times I wore a dark suit and definitely wasn't out of place.

That's my opinion!

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse (or reason) to go casual, which is normally fine on a Freestyle cruise. However, it certainly seems like your wife is not going to like that decision. Your dress will be fine no matter what you decide. Unfortunately, that may not be the answer that you're looking for.

We were on the Dawn 6/20/04 and it was hot. Actually an oven on broil felt like a fridge compared to the heat and humidity outside. Our waiter said it definately gets more casual on the one formal night the hotter it is outside.

That said what I saw a lot (all throughout the week in fact) of on our sailing was people dressed formally for their pictures on the staircase, then running back to the cabin and changing to resort casual to eat in the dining room on the formal night. Even though the AC cranks in the dining rooms, many men didn't want to sit in a tux when it was that hot out.

My husband wears a suit and tie all week and was so grateful that he didn't have to dress up to eat or even pack any of that stuff. In fact he, his father and his BIL never got more dressed up than a Friday collared casual button down and khaki's, even on formal night.

HTH,

Leenie

I thought the whole point of freestyle was those who want can leave the tuxes and gowns at home. Take your wife to a fancy restaurant the night before your cruise to celebrate the start of vacation and then secretly remove the dresses and gowns from her suitcase and replace them with capri pants.

Isabe

I thought one of the main selling points of freestyle was the option to dress as you want. If you want to eat in the dinning room on formal night you could wear your tux but you would definately be fine in a nice suit. If your wife wants you to wear a tux it is up to you if you want to please her or not I don't think we on the cruise bpards should be advising you on that;)

Gizfish

If my husband unpacked what I had packed without telling me and packed his choice of clothes for me, he would have a bigger problem than what to wear on formal night! The condescending attitude that he knows what I should wear better than I do, would not go down well here. At the same time I would no more remove his nice suit and pack a tux in order to force him to wear that.

Have not been on Dream, but on Sea. I loved seeing the tuxes and gowns even tho we chose not to dress that formal. It seemed to me that most who did dressed for the pictures more than anything. Maybe your wife wants a picture of you in a tux...you might ask her.

It also seemed that just about anything goes in dress now days. I will say this, I did wear a long black (very simple) dress to dinner (not formal nite) one nite and felt a bit overdressed..but then I am shy and do not like to attract attention. One thing is for sure, if you do wear a tux you will have all the all the women looking!

gardencat

:D You certainly took the words right outta my mouth.

I'm sure gizfish was "kidding" - I hope anyway. I know alot of women pack for their husbands. I do the "packing" but he decides what he's bringing and I decide what I'm bringing. A good friend of mine does all the deciding for herself and her husband. Her hubby has no clue what he is wearing on vacation or on a business trip. When he gets where he's going and opens his suitcase that's the first time he see what's in it. That wouldn't work well for me. LOL :eek:

Tks for all your feedback. Guess I will NOT bring my tux, but will wear my suite on formal night. The wife does not mind and quite honestly, I would rather be comfortable.

Archived