What is the absolute BEST beach in Barbados?

Tristan

We will be in Barbados on the Noordam, and we are looking for a beach with crystal clear water that is great for swimming.

We prefer calm water, as opposed to waves.

Thanks very much. :)

Hi Tristan,

There is no such thing as a "bad beach" in Barbados:). All will have crystal clear, warm, calm water for your enjoyment.

The waters are all pretty calm except for parts of the east coast where the surfers frequent.

Enjoy your visit to the island.

well here is the problem.. As Bajan Keith has said, there really isn't a bad beach in Barbados. the majority of the west coast beaches are going to have calm clear waters without much wave movement.. however. the day the next poster was in Barbados, the sea all around the island was rough every where.

so.. here is the problem. I can tell you that I love going to Accra/Rockley Beach as well as Paynes Bay.. and that both places for the most part have fairly calmwaters and fairly clear as well. But the day you arrive, if it's rainy, or the winds are up, may mean a bit of a wave action going on.

So you have my 2 votes. You also have the Boatyard beach which is also Carlisle Bay, and you could try Mullins Beach, further up the west coast.. and hopefully the day you come, any of those will be just perfect for what you are searching.

We went to Malibu beach cuz it was quite near the pier but the surf was very rough and consequently the water was very cloudy. It was nice but I'm sure there are better ones.

stprdi....I think the day you visited may have just been a bad day weather wise as normally that beach is quite calm and it is VERY popular with the locals.

Tristan: I personally don't have a favourite...I like them all...so I will only reiterate that they are all VERY nice. You will not be able to make a bad choice.;)

We were in Barbados 1-2 days ahead of Ernesto. Even Malibu beach in Aruba was choppy. Maybe the storm was part of the reason for the rougher than normal seas. Oh well, still enjoyed ourselves. We;re hoping to rent a car next time and set off to find those postcard beaches. That pic of the Boatyard is very tempting. Gorgeous.

Beaches and snorkeling might not really go hand in hand. if you want snorkeling you might want to go to Folkstone Park. They do have (or did have) a "course" you can follow under water for snorkeling. That might be your best bet.

for the beach on that side, I'd pick Paynes Bay, which might give you a little snorkeling, but the beach itself is very nice.

I'm originally from Sanford, went to NCSU and moved here 13 1/2 years ago.

Sounds like you got hooked! If there were some way to get my boys there I'd move in a heartbeat. All of the islands we have visited are like paradise! My youngest is at Campbell, we're in the northeast corner, Colerain. I love crusing you just don't get but one day on each island and it's hard to know where to concentrate your efforts:confused: I heard of Folkstone park, also swimming wiyh the turtles and green tail monkeys....Any chance these are anywhere near each other?

You mean your son goes to UCLA... University of Campbell between Lillington and Anger.. Sorry.. it's an old joke..not sure if he even knows that one..

I met and married a barbadian, so it made it that much easier to live here. with 3 children under 11yrs of age, and a great educational system, it would be difficult for me to return to the states.. but one never knows..

Folkstone and Paynes Bay are not tooo far from each other.. The best thing might be trying to find a glass bottom boat that would allow you to snorkle and swim with the turtles....

When will you be here.. Maybe we can meet up..

any tips on a glass bottom boat ride???? this is exactly what I have been looking for? Also, does anyone know if the harrison caves will be open?

check out the following links...

http://justbreezingwatersports.com/glass_bottom_boat.php

http://westwater-adventures-barbados.com/

There is another boat.. Mamzel (I think).. I know the owner, however, I think he is exclusively with Almond resorts at the moment.. doing their glass bottom boat tours.

and there is a new one.. ultra modern - very bizzare looking boat.. not sure how to get to this one..

Hi Sunniebgi

We will be in Barbados on Good Friday- April 07. Can you recommend a beach that is best for young children (2 & 4). We were thinking Sandy beach (Worthing) or Paynes Bay. Also will the stores in Bridgetown be closed? Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Hi Sunniebgi

We will be in Barbados on Good Friday- April 07. Can you recommend a beach that is best for young children (2 & 4). We were thinking Sandy beach (Worthing) or Paynes Bay. Also will the stores in Bridgetown be closed? Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Good Friday in Barbados has always been for me, about the quietest day on this island. (that includes Easter Sunday/Monday and Christmas). Nothing is open.. ok..Gas stations and the stores attached to them, but not much of anything else. I'm not even sure which restaurants are any more. and you may not see many Bajans out on the beaches that day.. some but not many.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend Sandy Beach, only because it's not really sandy anymore. Beach Erosion has become a real problem at that beach. Move closer to Bridgetown and go to Accra/Rockley Beach. there is a great swimming area for kids on the east end of the beach. And Cheffette (fast food, mostly chicken) might be open for food. I'm not even sure the little beach kiosks will be open on that day. Paynes Bay is great as well, so unfortunately I've made it difficult in terms of where to go.. but either one would be fine.

Archived