Carnival Legend 9/1/06-9/9/06

battersea

Right on mamaskittles....you said it all!! Although we don't cruise often, as we enjoy other types of vacations also, and I probably will never have any more to say...I was quite offended to be called a racist. I have never experienced such rude people in all my life. Most of them were african americans, but some were white. We will cruise again, never on Carnival. We have used both Princess and Royal Caribbean and never had such an experience. However, on those cruises we left from Ft. Lauderdale & L.A. I realize that things can go very wrong...but where was ship security when people where having sex in a public hot tub??? We watched a security officer on the adult aft pool look at people coming and going for 3 to 4 hours. There was nothing to watch on that deck and pool. Seems security needs to be revamped on this ship. And mamaskittles, we too needed to save for this trip. It has been planned since February, 2006. I am a daycare provider...my husband a postal employee. We are not "sailing" in money. Normally one vacation per year!! However, my main concerns are still lack of music in the Golden Fleece and the horrible beach trip in Tortola. These issues I will address to Carnival. I have enjoyed the several times I have both sent and received messages...and wish everyone happy vacations....free from racial stress!!!!

Right on mamaskittles....you said it all!! Although we don't cruise often, as we enjoy other types of vacations also, and I probably will never have any more to say...I was quite offended to be called a racist. I have never experienced such rude people in all my life. Most of them were african americans, but some were white. We will cruise again, never on Carnival. We have used both Princess and Royal Caribbean and never had such an experience. However, on those cruises we left from Ft. Lauderdale & L.A. I realize that things can go very wrong...but where was ship security when people where having sex in a public hot tub??? We watched a security officer on the adult aft pool look at people coming and going for 3 to 4 hours. There was nothing to watch on that deck and pool. Seems security needs to be revamped on this ship. And mamaskittles, we too needed to save for this trip. It has been planned since February, 2006. I am a daycare provider...my husband a postal employee. We are not "sailing" in money. Normally one vacation per year!! However, my main concerns are still lack of music in the Golden Fleece and the horrible beach trip in Tortola. These issues I will address to Carnival. I have enjoyed the several times I have both sent and received messages...and wish everyone happy vacations....free from racial stress!!!!

You know what, I saw nothing wrong with your posts or Mammaskittles for that matter. You posted your thoughts on what you experienced on this cruise. If someone took offense to it then they are the ones that need to learn to deal with it, get over it or not read the boards.

I will say in defense of Carnival that large groups can be found on any cruise line and regardless of what type of group is on board they can affect other guests overall experience on board at times. It would be nice if the cruise lines would let us know when this was going to be the case but the cruise lines are smart enough to know that they would be dealing with cancellations if they did. I do think that Carnival should have dealt with any passengers that were doing inappropriate things. I'm sure that you have seen the video on Cruise Critic of the recent Crown Princess August sailing where young punks took over the atrium. This is another example of groups gone wrong and the cruise line refusing to deal with it. I would not write off a cruise line over one bad cruise. Just my two cents!!:)

You know what, I saw nothing wrong with your posts or Mammaskittles for that matter. You posted your thoughts on what you experienced on this cruise. If someone took offense to it then they are the ones that need to learn to deal with it, get over it or not read the boards.

I will say in defense of Carnival that large groups can be found on any cruise line and regardless of what type of group is on board they can affect other guests overall experience on board at times. It would be nice if the cruise lines would let us know when this was going to be the case but the cruise lines are smart enough to know that they would be dealing with cancellations if they did. I do think that Carnival should have dealt with any passengers that were doing inappropriate things. I'm sure that you have seen the video on Cruise Critic of the recent Crown Princess August sailing where young punks took over the atrium. This is another example of groups gone wrong and the cruise line refusing to deal with it. I would not write off a cruise line over one bad cruise. Just my two cents!!:)

Well said. I have been reading these reviews from the 9/01 cruise with great interest and sympathize with the frustrations of the behaviors encountered on this trip. I don't know of all of the problems, but it seems there were some that were definitely boorish behavior on the part of the cruisers. This could have happened anytime, not just with a group although sometimes being part of a group leads people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

What I don't understand is why these passengers are saying never Carnival again, or never out of New York again. These things could have happened on any ship at any time.

It seems that the advice of searching for large groups on your cruise is something worth considering. Other than that, I'm not sure how to avoid this because it just seems to be a matter of circumstance.

Is there any way to find out if a large group is booked on a cruise you are planning? I'd like to avoid large groups if possible. I really don't care what the group is I want to avoid any of them. We've stayed at Disney hotels when large convention groups are there and I know they can really seem to take over many areas, pools, restaurants, public areas roped off. Kids in the groups tend to have built in "friends" and can sometime exhibit behaviors that would be unthinkable if there were only a few of them. Adults often will too. There is anonimity in numbers.

We used to go to soccer tournaments when our kids were young, looking back on that time I don't think I would have liked to be staying in the same hotels or going to the same restaurants as our group. With so many people we just kind of took over without even thinking about it.

I don't think New Yorkers are ruder than others, I just feel that a group mentality, whether 70's soul, nascar fans, celtic dancers, red hats, Amway salesmen, ministers, or even a large wedding can adversely effect others enjoyment of the cruise. Since I'm paying mucho bucks for the experience I'd just like to avoid large groups of 200 or more.

Is there any way to find out if a large group is booked on a cruise you are planning? I'd like to avoid large groups if possible. I really don't care what the group is I want to avoid any of them. We've stayed at Disney hotels when large convention groups are there and I know they can really seem to take over many areas, pools, restaurants, public areas roped off. Kids in the groups tend to have built in "friends" and can sometime exhibit behaviors that would be unthinkable if there were only a few of them. Adults often will too. There is anonimity in numbers.

We used to go to soccer tournaments when our kids were young, looking back on that time I don't think I would have liked to be staying in the same hotels or going to the same restaurants as our group. With so many people we just kind of took over without even thinking about it.

I don't think New Yorkers are ruder than others, I just feel that a group mentality, whether 70's soul, nascar fans, celtic dancers, red hats, Amway salesmen, ministers, or even a large wedding can adversely effect others enjoyment of the cruise. Since I'm paying mucho bucks for the experience I'd just like to avoid large groups of 200 or more.

I actually did a google search as some have sugested, but came up with nothing. When I went to the Classic Soul Cruisers website, it was listed there. I have no idea how to find out if google is not going to work.

vincenzo:)

Let me put some light on this..(Not sure if you were on this cruise but I was)...this was my 10th cruise and never had I had to deal with fould mouthed, obnoxious ghettoness while on vacation. Before you flip out I am a minority but I call it as I see it. I was raised poor but had a good upbringing. These individuals who seem to be part of one group that came together, were OUT OF CONTROL. Downright embarrassing! I cannot say WHO the thugs belonged too...but I was completely annoyed, embarrassed and just out right pissed off at how many of the ppl on this cruise acted like animals. These are the same ppl that would be the first to bitch and moan about why they are being stereotyped. It is ppl like this (the ones that were rude, obnoxious, thug like, very ghetto) that give us minorities a bad name. You may not like what I am saying but a duck is a duck. I just hope that the others who shared this experience with me on the ship will remember that one batch doesn't make all of us bad.

I have been reading this thread and so agree with you. I am not a "minority" and I have some very good friends that are. I am not a racist and know that I will be bashed by this.

BUT....I am so sick of hearing all of this "poor little me stuff" and all the "slave' stuff. Have any of you actually been a slave? Have I or anyone else that you know kept you in bondage? If people in this world would just get over all of the black/white issues it would be a much happier place to live in.

One of my good friends jokes around and says she was a slave....not.....she was born here and has a heck a lot more than I will ever have...and she is very sweet and would give the shirt off her back for you.

It goes both ways you know..for those of you complaining that it is only because you are black that things are being said,well, what about O.J. for example. We all know he was guilty as he@#$ but he got away with it...anyone wonder why? It wouldn't have mattered if he got caught with the knife in his hand and in her heart...because the jury was mostly slaves...

I know that sounds bad so let me put it another way. A lady that I know has a son that molested his daughter. She doesn't believe it. Even though he was caught and his daughter told about it and he spent several years in prison.

This lady was called for jury duty ( by the way, she is white) against a child molester. Because her son spent time in prison for something that she feels that he didn't do, no matter what, she would not vote guilty against this child molestor. Just like O.J. People have been done wrong, IN THE PAST, and are carrying it on to the present. Leave it in the past where it belongs.

Get over it.....let's live together, not as black, white, green, purple or whatever. We only got one life to live...let's make it a good, happy, one instead of fretting about stupid little things.

I went on a cruise that had a group too. And it was disappointing as they took over everything. They were also obnoxious, not fun, obnoxious. I prefer not to cruise with large groups.

I have to agree. It's not so much the reference to the "group" but the references to "gangsta" or "thugs." My nephew wears baggy jeans and t'shirts and a large necklace around his neck (a cross btw) and has cruised twice in this attire. He does smoke, drink, or use other drugs. He is a customer service rep and a talented musician (plays for the church), not a thug. I have cruised several times--I hate to think my race is a question or that people look at our clothing and make judgements? Call out the behavior as inappropiate for any race, but leave the racial stereotypes and generalizations out of it!

From someone completely on the outside looking in, I'm sorry shabcruzn but I disagree with your take on this completely. The term "gangsta" has become widely accepted as describing a particular style in today's culture. If your nephew is choosing to dress that way, whether he's black, white, purple or fuschia, folks are going to describe his look as "gangsta". If he's foul mouthed and strutting with attitude no matter what color he is people will describe him as acting like a hood. My son is 16 and my house is full of teenagers most weekends. As a mom I can learn a whole lot just by being in the background putzing around. They talk about their peers at school all the time. This one looks goth, this one looks gangsta, this one wears her mom's clothes from the 70's, this one thinks he's a hood. Seriously, the world needs to freaking lighten up on this stuff or it's going to implode. Not every single term that comes out of people's mouths is racially motivated but just about any of them can certainly be construed that way if it's the way we choose to live our lives. Peace people. FTLOG.:(

Also, every single thread I've ever read on this site and others that talks about cruising on the same ship as a large group, whatever the group may have been, refers to the facts that large groups often seem to take over the ship and leave other passengers feeling pissed about it. It's never mattered which group of people it is, the story's always the same.

Seriously, the world needs to freaking lighten up on this stuff or it's going to implode.

Not every single term that comes out of people's mouths is racially motivated but just about any of them can certainly be construed that way if it's the way we choose to live our lives.

Do I hear an AMEN!!!!!!!!! Very well said!!!

If people in this world would just get over all of the black/white issues it would be a much happier place to live in.

Get over it.....let's live together, not as black, white, green, purple or whatever. We only got one life to live...let's make it a good, happy, one instead of fretting about stupid little things.

I agree!

This Black, White, Red, and Yellow thing is nuts. Personally, I was born in the US but Grandparents were born in Italy and the Ukraine!! OUR ancestors didn't even KNOW what the heck a servant was.

We happen to be "white". Friends in DH's fishing club happened to be "black". I don't get why people keep dragging up ancient history that we weren't involved in. Manners mean Manners in any color.

Archived