St. John HELP!!!! PLEASE

goober1102

I am going to be docking ini St. Thomas Next Tuesday on the Caribbean Princess. I am assuming that we will dock at Havensight Pier. I would like to go to St. John for the day with my family. My question is what is the correct way to get there. I know a taxi from the Pier to ?????, and then a ferry from ???? to ??????

Please help. I would love to snorkel on St. John's and see the Sea turtles. My kids would absolutely die!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Just tell the taxi driver that you want to go to the ferry to St. John, once you are on St John tell the driver what beach you want to go to, also tell them what time you would like to be brought back to the ferry and they will be there waiting for you.

We have been to St. John a few times this has never been a problem, the total time from the ship to St. John beach is about 40 minutes.

Just tell the taxi driver that you want to go to the ferry to St. John, once you are on St John tell the driver what beach you want to go to, also tell them what time you would like to be brought back to the ferry and they will be there waiting for you.

We have been to St. John a few times this has never been a problem, the total time from the ship to St. John beach is about 40 minutes.

There are actually two ferries to St John, one from Charlotte Amalie, the other from Red Hook; both arrive in Cruz Bay, St John. The CA ferry is closest to Havensight (and to Crown Bay as well); about 5 min by taxi. It is about a 45 min ferry from CA to Cruz Bay. The RH ferry is farther from the cruise ships; about 20-25 min by taxi. The RH-Cruz Bay ferry is about 15-20 min.

It is probably best to decide which ferry to take based on your debarkation time. The ferry schedule and fares are as follows:

From Red Hook:

Rates: One-way, $5/Adults, $1.00/Children under 12 and $1.25 for Seniors (62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2/piece for luggage/boxes.

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas:

6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John:

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

From Charlotte Amalie:

Rates: One-way, $10/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11. There is a charge of $2/piece for luggage/boxes.

Time: 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas:

9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm

4:00 pm

5:30 pm

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

7:15 am

9:15 am

11:15 am

1:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:45 pm

My husband and I have been snorkelling many times on St John. I am a turtle lover. The only place I have seen turtles in a public area is at Watermelon Cay which is next to Leinster Bay. I have also seen turtles at Caneel Bay but not at their public beaches (they have seven beaches but only two public access beaches).

At Watermelon Cay I saw sting rays, turtles, barracuda, star fish and large tarpons. I saw all of this within 30 minutes of getting in the water. It was a great day. If you can handle a dingy, when you get off the St John Ferry, go to the right and go to the end of the beach and rent a dingy. These people are nice and they will tell you where to go. I think the place is Little Noah's Arc. It is on the beach. You need to find their number and book the dingy. I think it starts at 75.00 dollars or so depending on the size you need.

If you don't want to do that, do not take a taxi, rent a car. We have seen so many people stranded at Leinster Bay! There is parking at Annaberg Ruins/Sugar Mill. You take the trail to Leinster Bay and then on around to Watermelon Cay. You will need to be on the trail to Watermelon for about 25 to 30 minutes depending on how fast you walk.

If you drive, keep to the left! St John is really pretty easy driving.

Another option is to book a St John snorkel trip. These people know where the sea life is at any given time and your are sure to see what you want.

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

goober,

catch a cab at the havensight pier and tell him/her you want to go to the Red Hook Ferry.

Once @ RH ask for a roundtrip ticket to Cruz Bay, St. John.

Try to claim a seat on the upper deck if you can. The view going over to cruz Bay is beautiful from up-top :-)

Once you arrive at Cruz Bay, catch a cab to Trunk Bay. It's been voted 1 of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world in a recent travel magazine. The water is VERY clear, and VERY calm. You can actually walk w--a--y out and still only be chest deep. (makeing it safe for your family members).

Trunk Bay offers chaise lounge chairs & floating mats for rent, and has a snorkle trail that I've been told is AWESOME!! They also have restroms/changing rooms & showers onsite as well as well as a snack bar.

Taxis are readily available when you're ready to return to the ferry terminal.

I was able to find a online Red Hook Ferry schedule which I'll include in my post. I like to print this schedule and take it with me when I ferry to St. J.

Enjoy!

Annie

http://www.varlack-ventures.com/vvfiles/4_ferry-schedules.htm

Archived