Best Snorkeling

goober1102

Based on the ages of your children I would recommend Coki Beach on St. Thomas. There is practically no current to be worried about. You step in the water, stick your head under the water, and it's like you're in an aquarium. You don't have to swim far from shore to see any underwater life.

Trunk Bay on St. John is also nice, but I would not recommend it for an 8 y/o or 6 y/o for snorkeling even with a vest. It's a long swim to the snorkel area.

You can see photos of those two beaches and others here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

I don't know about sea turtles, though. One of the locals may be able to advise you better on that than I can.

Waterlemon Cay is lovely. But there's a considerable current between the cay and St. John. For that reason alone I would not recommend it for kids, especially beginner snorkelers. Also, it's not a short swim to the cay, either. The hike to the beach is great, but Waterlemon is a bit off the beaten path and difficult to do within the time constraints of a shore excursion. We went there on a land-based vacation to the Virgin Islands and LOVED it!

More Virgin Island Beaches are listed on http://www.*****

Hello,

There are no snorkel spots where you are guaranteed to see turtles... some places you might have better chances but its still a chance. There are charters that go out to Turtle Cove/Buck Island; a small island not far from St. Thomas, and I've heard that there are pretty good odds of seeing turtles there.

In terms of first time, child friendly beach snorkeling on St. Thomas I'd say Coki Beach. If you wanted a less 'touristy' sort of beach you could try Secret Harbor.

On St. John based again on the ages of your children and that its there first time I'd say Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay.

A quick note: Cinnamon Bay is a ways from Salt Pond Bay... about a 25-30 minute drive. They are both beaches you can snorkel at; you would drive to the entrance of either. There is a hike/trail from the Salt Pond Bay parking to the beach. I think both Salt Pond Bay & Waterlemon Cay would be too much for a 6 year old in terms of the hike, plus no amenities (bathrooms, food etc.), plus the snorkeling is not first time for a small child locations because of swimming distance to the snorkeling, currents, depth (more so at Waterlemon). They are good spots though. ;)

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived