Volcanoes NP, Haleakala NP or Both?

Madeline's Human

I'm taking the family on NCL's PoH on December. We will visit Volcanoes NP in the Hilo day. We are going to Lanai on Maui Day 1. That leaves us Maui Day 2. We will rent a car, and we are trying to decide whether to visit Haleakala NP or do something else on Maui.

I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who has been to both Volcanoes NP and Haleakala NP--are they much alike? If not, how are they different?

Unfortunately, while I would love to see the sunrise on Haleakala, that wouldn't be a practical trip with the kids.

Thanks.

Aloha and welcome to the boards.

First off, as you suspect VNP and Haleakala are two completely different experiences. Yes they are both worth doing. It's hard to describe the differences clearly, but I'll try.

Haleakala is a very large dormant (for now) volcano with a large caldera that is layers of colors and shades and shapes with little cones all through it. It's beautiful. There's a small visitors center and several overlooks. Some people hike down into the caldera. (We did not go at sunrise because we just don't care to get up that early.) The drive up to the summit takes you through all kinds of different flora. I believe the summit is about 9000 ft (I could be wrong; if so, someone is sure to correct me).

VNP is many different things besides just the main Kilauea crater. First of all, it's not dormant. Second, it's huge and has vents and secondary craters. Third, you can drive down to the end of Chain of Craters, which is a fascinating drive on its own. You drive on a road carved through old lava flows with sometimes bizarre shapes and burned trees. At the end of the road, it's literally the end of the road. Some people hike out to wherever the current flow is to watch an active volcano at work (or that is Madam Pele at work). (Sometimes there is no visible flow; sometimes it's inaccesible for safety reasons; sometimes the hike can be several miles over fairly challenging lava fields.) If you want to invest that much of your day, do an advanced search on this board for things like "lava hike." It's a real undertaking. Up on top (about 4000 ft) along Crater Rim Dr., you have the secondary craters/caldera; sulpher vents; the lava tube; hikes long and short; a good visitors center as well as a neat little museum; Volcano House lobby with a gorgeous fireplace holding the longest burning fire (more than 100 years I believe) and sculpted figure of Pele; and more.

Because you are on a cruise with limited time and because you are going to Lanai for your first Maui day, I have to say no, do not do both. Spend your entire Hilo day at VNP. Make it the focus of your day. Do the drive down Chain of Craters Road (and maybe even walk out on the beds a little bit). Don't rush, stop and see and feel the power. (I know that sounds overly dramatic, but the fact is that VNP is a very powerful and awe-inspiring place.)

Regardless of time constraints, if I was forced to choose one it would be VNP. Of course, this means that you will have to come back to Maui so that you can see Haleakala.:D

Hope that helps.

beachchick

I

I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who has been to both Volcanoes NP and Haleakala NP--are they much alike? If not' date=' how are they different?

Thanks.[/quote']

Beachchick is correct, both are worth doing. We took the NCL excursions to VNP in Hilo, and to the Haleakala Crater in Maui. The Haleakala Crater trip will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours up to the 10,000 ft visitor center, and 1-1/2 or so down. So if you want to work it into your day 2 Maui, you will need 4-5 hours at least.

We were amazed with both experiences, so personally we can't recommend one over the other. But, if you want to see some pics we took of the 2 parks, here are the links. They might help you decide.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jwpullum/HaleakalaNationalParkAndMauiValley

http://picasaweb.google.com/jwpullum/VolcanoNationalParkHawaiiBigIsland

JW:cool:

Actually, I honestly think with the limited time on a cruise that doing VNP is the crucial one and Haleakala is only if you don't have something different that you want to do. Don't try to cram Haleakala into your Maui day 2 if you have other interests (such as Iao Valley/Needle, the beaches, Lahaina walking around town, the road to Hana, and so forth). If you don't find other things to interest you on Maui, then by all means visit Haleakala on day 2.

beachchick

Considering that my DH was seriously injured (would probably have been killed if not for his helmet) riding his bike safely in a bike lane during the day on a straight, flat road, I think it's safe to say that we will never being doing the Haleakala downhill.

beachchick

Archived