Jewl in a Couryard Villa, Need Thoughts!!!

Glenn925

Hi all,,brand new to this great site!!! Me & my family (2 adults, 3 kids, 11, 10, 7) are going on a cruise on 3/18/07. We live in Tampa & were originally booked on the Carnival Miracle out of Tampa. We have cruised Carnival twice before & were happy with the food, accomodations (2 units to fit the 5 of us), and especially the price. The price on Carnival was $4,700 for 2 balcony rooms connected. I then found out about NCL & the Freestyle cruising, the great restaurant choices, and the private courtyard available. I booked a 2-bedroom courtyard villa for $9,000 ($9,700 on the website, personal advisor saved us $700 & said the price will probably come down). But they are out of Miami.

My question to you experienced cruises is 1) Is NCL worth traveling from Tampa to Miami (5 hours) instead of Carnival which is 15 minutes from our home. 2) Thoughts on Freestyle Cruising over traditional cruising. 3) Thoughts on spending the extra $$$ for a Courtyard Villa. I can have a 2-bedroom penthouse with butler/concierge for $1,800 cheaper or 2 connectiong balconies for about $5,000 ($4,000 cheaper). I think the concept is great, but my kids will definitely want to use the slide @ the main pool alot...I need to determine if it is worth dropping $9k on a cruise to the Eastern Carib for 7 day!!!

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Glenn

I was on the Jewel 11 day, Owner's suite.

Beautiful ship, excellent staff.

The owners suites can also use the amenities of the courtyards. Is is a beautiful area.

Many pictures are posted if you do a search.

Can't help you with the prices, you just have to keep checking.

Good luck:)

Just returned from POH in a garden villa with another couple. Before leaving to disembark, we toured most suite catagories as we are booking a large group for next year.

IMHO, the courtyard villa for your family will be cramped. HOWEVER, the service you recieve on 14 versus another deck will blow your socks off.

The best staff onboard is assigned to these premier accomodations, and it really shows.

Your kids will be catered to in these villas and it will be like a dream to them. The slide is still very close and easy to get to from the 14th level.

Accomodations "too small" for 2 adults 3 kids???? I am a bit confused,,we stayed in 2 oceanview rooms on Carnival & the 2-bdroom villa is bigger then the 2 of them combined! Does anyone know the dimensions of the 2nd bedroom? Also, does the room have a pull-out couch or can we request a roll-away for our youngest?

Also, for those of you who stayed on Deck 14. Is it worth paying $1,800 more then a 2-bedroom Penthouse on a lower deck or $4,000 more then 2 balcony connecting rooms? Like I said, $9k is a lot to drop on a 7-day cruise for a villa.

Any & all comments greatly appreciated.

Glenn

OK - my $.02

The courtyard area is fabulous but I would not call it kid friendly. I have not stayed in an A3 but have spent time in the courtyard area. It normally a quite relaxed area. If you like spending time at the main pool the ABs on deck 11 are exactly the same size.

Here is the floorplan for the A3/AB

16_s2.gif

Here is a detailed overview of an AB from the Star. The Jewel has some updates but essential the same. I love the ABs and the service has always been outstanding. I am sure it is a bit better in the A3 but I have not been able to justify the price delta

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

The down side of the A3 or AB two of your kids will need to share a double sofa bed. There is no room for a roll away. The sofa in the living room is not a sleeper. Here is one of the pictures from the link above showing the second bedroom with the sofa bed and bunk.

The upside as you will see from the pictures the master bedroom and bath are fabulous.

girlsroom2.jpg

What ever you decide enjoy the cruise. I would book the AB let the kids "suffer" a bit, get all the perks and service, save a little $, and enjoy the view from your whirlpool tub.

2059955750_Dawn2005ABBath.jpg.30f47c8656d2ea9042add78bf77473b9.jpg

I have never been on the Jewel, but, I do know that the Courtyard Villa is the EXACT SAME SIZE AS AN AB ON THE DAWN.

The ONLY DIFFERENCE is the added bonus of the "Courtyard".

That said, I will tell you what I know. In my personal opinion, the cabin will probably be a little tight for two adults and three kids. The little bedroom IS VERY, VERY SMALL and so is the bathroom.

This past February, we cruised on the Dawn, in an AB with two teenage girls (both 13). One had the top bunk, the second had the bottom bed (by day a sofa, by night, not quite a full size bed). The space was fine for two.

Maybe your 7 and 10 year old can sleep in the bottom bed and the 11 year old in the top bunk.

I have read that you CAN ASK for a ROLL AWAY BED though. Your sofa would be removed and the bed put there (for the duration of your cruise).

How about ANOTHER OPTION......:D

Instead of a Courtyard Villa, how about an AB with a CONNECTING AF.....????!!!!icon5.gif

That way, the kids can be in their OWN space. The little bedroom and bath in your AB I am sure won't go to waste..... You KNOW how kids like to spread out.

And, even though they are in an AF, they ARE INCLUDED in your AB "Lifestyle" too. icon14.gif

Just some "food-for-thought".......:D

Archived