No Help From Ports of Call Board

sandydownunder

Sandy

The Russian submarine in Vladivostock is out of the water, and open to the public. It is a WW2 Memorial, down near the Town Square, and a couple of blocks from the aquarium.

Vladivostock harbor was full of Russian Pacific Fleet ships when we there in 1997, and most of the fleet appeared to be in rather poor shape. One cruiser did leave port as we pulled in, and it was smoking mightily: if diesel, it suffered from clogged injectors; it oil-fired, too rich a mixture. All the fleet appeared to be almost derelict, and reminded me of the beached submarines and cruisers outside of St. Petersburg, just rusting away with no maintenance.

Michael

Hi Sandra- We are on this cruise with you in April 2005. Nice to see some information is available from others that have stopped at these remote Ports. I have printed out the posts --we are so far out from sailing that I will certainly forget what I read by the time it's necessary to remember!! around November I will get serious about the cruise Ports. We (have been before and) are flying into Osaka in less than a week to spend a few days before boarding the Pacific. This visit we have arranged a "goodwill" guide for the weekend in Osaka. We plan to go to Himeji to see the famous White Heron Castle. Nagasaki is easy to do on your own "walk about" .... a very lovely city....We used Pusan as the gateway to Konjyu (sp?) a facinating day to be spent there - we took a ship's tour - it was a full day of sightseeing. Siberia and Dutch Harbor will both be new stops for us - not often that we get to a "new" Port - (spent way too many cruising days, I think!!) ..hope the weather behaves for us. We've been to Alaska a few times - the last on the Dawn about 3 years ago, with 2 grandchildren....We have plenty of time to decide what we'd like to "re-visit"......keep in touch via the Roll Call...Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Archived