New Jersey Help

Hi,

Was trying to plan our attack for our cruise out of NJ. We are flying into ERK the day before and would like to visit NYC for the day, was wondering the following:

1) Should we stay at an airport hotel (ERK)and take the train into the city.

If we do, how much would a cab cost to Penn station and thento the Pier the next day?

2) We were also thinking about staying in Jersey city.How much would a cab be to JC from ERK and from JC to the pier the next day?

Thanks very much.

Rance

Rance....I'm also going on a cruise out of NJ. I'm not sure about prices for cabs and such but wanted to tell you about a great hotel deal. I was able to get the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City for $44 a night through priceline.com. They are very close to a PATH station that takes you right into NYC. I think the cost is something like $2. The port is less than 10 miles from the hotel so a cab shouldn't be too much. Good luck and have a blast on your cruise.

Anne

The above poster is right, if you stay in the Jersey city area, you can take the Path train into the city, and take a cab for the port the next day, not sure of the cost of the cab to the port, think less than 20 dolars. There is so much to see in NYC that one day, will hardly give you a start. Empire State building, United Nations building, Times Square, Chinatown-Little Italy, Soho, Fifth Ave., Rockerfeller Center............It possible I would, try to come in a day earlier, to see the sights...............Also NYC has the best jewelry shopping on 47th street and some of the best shoping anywhere for everything else period. We live around a hour North of the city, and love going in for the day..............there isi just so much to do

Try to get tickets to a show. You can go to the ticketbooth on Broadway and see what is available. If you have children the Toys R Us flagship store is in Times Squrae. It is worth the trip. We don't have any kids and we've been there twice.

I agree, stay in Jersey City and take the path then a cab to the pier.

You can also go to www.broadwaybox.com for discount codes. If you stay at the Jersey City Hyatt, you can also take the ferry to NYC. If you take it to wall street, you'll be near the South Street Seaport, where there is a TKTS booth. TKTS handles all of the discounted broadway shows. It's a lot less crowded than the one in Times Square. In case you didn't know, the Yatt in jersey City is directly across the Hudson River from the World Trade Center. Many people make the visit to pay respects and see the site. In any event, enjoy New York!!!

If you are cruising later in the summer- be sure not to miss the re-opening of the statue of liberty. You will only be able to go into her pedistal- but I think it would be well worth it. You can catch the subway anywhere in NYC and take it to battery park- and you can catch the ferry over from there.

Also, a great thing to do- is to go to the loebs boathouse in central park- you can rent row boats there for $10 an hour- it is such a romantic setting and the scenery is just beautiful- you pass by the famous bethesda fountain- and the views of the trees with the NYC skyline on top of it is just great!! It is not something that a lot of tourists know about- well worth a visit.

A great resturant is right in Times Square- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. has opened up there - across from ABC and beside MTV- the prices are not bad for NYC and the food is excellent. It is also fast- we went this past Saturday night and they said the wait would be 35 minutes and 35 minutes later we were already at our table eating our appetizer. It is great if you are trying to catch a show.

Speaking of shows- I would suggest seeing : Wicked, it is very good! A Tony winner this year- Kristen C- who plays Glinda- has the most enchanting voice and is so funny. I would also recommend, Mamma Mia- this show will leave the theatre wanting to go dancing - it is so lively and is just awesome!! I was not too impressed with Aida-

If you are looking for something off broadway- on 42nd Street (which is also an awesome show) is the off broadway production of "Toxic Audio"- they are a great accapella group- that we actually got introduced to this past March on the Navigator of the Seas- they had come aboard for our entertainment one night- our cruise director Mark sure picked a great one that night. I was transported back to our wonderful cruise when we went to see them.

Have a great time on your cruise- and enjoy the city- it has so much to offer.

Archived