Guardian letter?

star10

Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone had to show this notarized letter? My husband and I have a different last name than my son, and they never once questioned it. My son's father is not part of our lives, and he has my maiden name...

I will certainly take a letter just in case... but I was just wondering if anyone was specifically asked for it.

It seems to depend on who is checking you in. Sometimes I've been asked for it and sometimes I haven't. I never wanted to take a chance and possibly be denied boarding so I always bring one. Also, one time, returing from Mexico, I was asked to produce it at customs.

If you're traveling with a child's friend also make sure to get copies of thier medical insurance cards and a signed, notarized statement from his or her parents authorizing you to seek emergency medical treatment for their child if necessary. Hopefully you won't need it but its a good idea to have it. Also check to see if the child is allergic to any foods or medications.

My husband and I have taken our granddaughter on cruises and each year we get both a notarized letter stating that we have responsibility for medical decisions should it be required, and another notarized letter stating that her mother (no dad) has allowed us to take her out of the country. We include the dates (we add a week or so extra to the time, since we cruise with her during hurricane season and you never know what can happen) and list the airlines, cruise line, and all ports we are to be visiting, including embarkation and debarkation ports. We have never been asked to show any of the above. But we get it everytime just to be on the safe side. I would hate to get to the embarkation line and be asked for it and not be able to produce anything. I think it's important to cover every base you have. :)

Ok I guess Iam going to have to call Carnival again. I called this week to see if we would need anything from my step sons mom and the rep told me no. But then again we will be cruising after Dec when you will need a passport which she will have to sign papers for so maybe that is why. Ill have to call and make sure again with them just to be on the safe side.

When we traveled and we took DS friend with us, Carnival required us to send a noterized letter of release to them 2 weeks prior to departure and then again asked to see it when checking in.

When we booked our TA specificly told us what the release needed to say and told us when Carnival needed it by. HTH

If you go to the Cruise Diva website- scroll down to the search box and enter 'Permission Letter' you will find what you need. It includes authorization for medical treatment. If you are a member of AAA they also have them and will notarize them for you.

Don't forget to take his medical insurance card also.:)

I always take this form and I have been asked several times if I have it with me at checkin, but only asked to show it once by RCCL.

It's like everything else you don't need it until you need it....

When we traveled and we took DS friend with us, Carnival required us to send a noterized letter of release to them 2 weeks prior to departure and then again asked to see it when checking in.

When we booked our TA specificly told us what the release needed to say and told us when Carnival needed it by. HTH

I guess that just goes to show that it all depends on who you are dealing with. There does not seem to be any set policy regarding the letter.

When I take my nieces and nephews on trips, I always make sure I have a notarized letter from their parents with me (a form I downloaded off the internet). Two of them went to the Bahamas with me and immigration/customs in either direction never asked to see it. One went on a Carnival cruise and again no one anywhere, airlines, cruise line, immigration ever asked to see it. I chalked it up to them being my brother's kids and having the same last name as me. But I took my sister's son (different last name) on a cruise this summer and again, no one anywhere ever asked to see it.

Perhaps it was because of their age. Yes they were minors, but each was 13 at the time.

I guess it's a crap shoot. But as the other say, better safe than sorry. And if, God forbid, a medical emergency had come up, I definitely would have needed it.

Laura

Archived