Cruise Insurance

lookin4ward

We always use http://www.insuremytrip.com

They give you rates of many different companies and you can pick the one you want. We always go with a large Med evca plan at least 50 thousand. Might sound like a lot but if you need it you will be so glad to have it behind you. We buy right thu them. I have gone to the insurance site after thier quto and found that they really do offer a good price. WE have use travelsafe, travelex. and traveguard.

good luck

andra

Most recommend that you not use the cruise line's insurance company because if the cruise line goes under (so to speak) so will their insurance company. Of course, I don't think you have to worry about that with the larger cruiselines like CCL and RCCL.

How late can one order travel insurance? We are going on our cruise Oct. 8th, what is the latest date I could acquire insurance?

From insuremytrip.com FAQ:

Q. What is the latest date I can purchase travel insurance?

A. You can purchase a policy up to the day before you travel. However, our recommendation is to purchase as soon as possible to maximize your benefits. If you wait, you always run the risk that something will happen before you buy your insurance and you won't be covered.

I've used TravelSafe,as have many of my friends i travel with. Never any problems and their rates are usually much better than Travelguard and Access with better coverage. They're a smaller company but the service is great. Had to file a claim once and it was handled quickly and professionally. I highly recommend TravelSafe.

AAA referred me to Access America. They don't charge for children. I had never taken the insurance before, but after seeing somebody get air lifted off of the ship I thought it would be a wise investment. I paid $107.00 total for my upcoming 8 night cruise for a family of 4.

I hope this helps

Seems like I recall something about it being best to purchase the insurance within a certain number of hours of initial deposit or coverage changes? Was it about pre-existing conditions? I can't remember.

Help us out here! Somebody knows what I am trying to remember...

I'll let you know how mine works out! I (fortunately) purchased insurance with Travel Guard for a Glory cruise we were supposed to take 9/9/06. My daughter (age 27) was hospitalized with a DVT the Sunday before the cruise (making it during Carnival's 100% cancellation period). She has still not returned to work yet, but got out of the hospital the Thursday before we were to leave on Friday to go to Port Canaveral. I obviously could not go and leave her.

I filed the insurance paperwork through Travel Guard as soon as I could get all of the info together and fedexed it to them on Monday. They tell me it takes a month or so for it to be reviewed. They were very sympathetic, friendly and quick to get me the paperwork. Hope my refund goes as well!

Valerie

Seems like I recall something about it being best to purchase the insurance within a certain number of hours of initial deposit or coverage changes? Was it about pre-existing conditions? I can't remember.

Help us out here! Somebody knows what I am trying to remember...

Yes, it varies by insurance company/policy. It's usually something along the lines of paying for insurance within 0-20 days of your first cruise deposit, and they wave any pre-existing conditions. Otherwise it can be like 180 days you have to wait PRIOR to your trip to be covered for pre-existing conditions. So it's in your best interested to do the insurance when you put your deposit (if you have a pre-existing condition and are sure your going on that cruise w/ no changes).

I've filed a claim in May w/ Travel Guard on a land vacation and had a check in 2 weeks, was very satisfied.

Archived