Children QM2 Caribbean sailings

bcruiser

We are considering cruising the Caribbean on the QM2 with our children age 7 and 8. I would like any thoughts as to the quality of the kids programs and activities. Cunard has assured me the children will have a great time. Thanks In Advance Bryan

We are about to book for the 12/23 Caribbean with three teenagers- 15, 17 and 17. Only concern is will there be other teens to hang with and will there be stuff for teens to do. Is there going to be much formality which neither the kids or we like? Is the QM2 really special?

Can't speak to those with children but I know the ship has activities for the young. As for teens, I'm not as sure of things. My first sailing on QM2 was a Caribbean in November 2004...it is a formal ship (you'll see tuxedos and evening gowns on formal nights). We ate in the Britannia Restaurant and found the food very good to excellent. The buffet (Kings Court) can be a bit of a zoo but the food was fine especially breakfast. The shows on QM2 are OK...I would rate them as your average cruise show. There are lots of string quartets around the ship so the setting is very sedate and "civilized." No hairy chest contests or newly wed games on this ship.

The only problem for us on the QM2 Caribbean itinerary is the ship's inability to dock at many islands due to her size. Tenders add alot of time when going to and from the islands and I sometimes found myself getting frustrated by the wait (especially on the ship).

I hope you enjoy your time on QM2.

We were onboard for 24 or 25 days in June/July with our kids (6 and 9) and it was fantastic! They loved the Kid Zone. They loved all the other stuff they could do during the day and at night. And if we wanted time without them the Kid Zone was/is open at convenient times.

And they NEVER got bored.

What's more, the crew were especially nice to our kids. As were the other passengers. On the last evening, while we were leaving the dining room in a little group, one man at another table stood up, grasped my arm and thanked me for bringing them on-board. After I thwacked him ;) , I thanked him and looked around to see other smiling faces. So, the kids are warmly welcomed by all.

And the kids LOVE the whole experience. Our kids still put on their "White Star" pins (gifts from crew members) to serve us dinner, still recall often their many experiences aboard and cannot wait to get back aboard.

Maybe that's the only "problem" - once they're aboard, you'd better plan on making a habit of it. :)

We have just booked for xmas 2007 and are taking our 5 year old so we would also be very interested to hear about the kids programme.

Is it open all day, is there a charge of port days etc.

Thanks

I've been bugging my wife for weeks to agree to take our kiddo on the Christmas cruise in 2007 and she wont give in. She thinks Christmas is for being at home with family. I read your post and told my wife that 'this woman is taking her child on the Christmas cruise'. She told me to marry you then.

I cannot get this wife of mine to bend on this being away from home at Christmas thing.

A Christmas cruise with kids is a lot of fun. The ship is all decorated, Santa came down the chimney by way of a glass elevator. The decorated Christmas cookies in the atrium, gave gifts to the kids and sang Christmas Carols. You can also bring Christmas stockings for the cabin. Last Christmas was on a Princess ship, but we have done other lines as well.

As far as the kids zone on the QM2, they have British nannies and the kids love them.

Archived