Hilo Volcano National Park

envy4u

No regular bus or cab, just rent a car and drive the ca. 10 mile rimcrater road with visit to the vistorcenter.

It is easy to find, about 45 minutes west of Hilo.

Entrance fee is $ 10.- or free if you have a NP pass.

The cruise lines offer excursions and there are also independent tour operators that will take you. I think Green Tours was one I saw. Anyone use them?

However, we rented a car from Thrifty and it was cheaper than taking any of the tours we researched. All the rental car companies will pick you up at the pier. It was very easy. We joined Thrifty's Blue Chip program, free and done online, and there was virtually no paperwork when we went to pick up our car. Because we had our own transportation we not only got to see VNP, but Akaka Falls, Banyan Drive, Rainbow Falls Peepee Falls and the Boiling Pots, plus downtown Hilo. It was great just doing everything on our own time schedule.

Public transportation here on the Big Island is spotty at best. The bus system is free, but has VERY limited routes and does not run very frequently or on any type of schedule for that matter.

Best bet is to rent a car to get anywhere. Driving is easy and there are very few roads. There is only one road that goes up to the VNP. When leaving the aiport with your rental car you will make a left at the traffic light onto the main road. The next turn you make will be another left at the entrance to the park....about 30 miles later :D

You CANNOT get lost!

Have fun!!

Thanks for all the tips . I think we are going to rent from Thrifty too .

Are there any beaches that you recommend that we can stop along the way for a dip or do you think there will be no time ?

There are no beaches along the way from Hilo to VNP (BTW, just for clarification, it's Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, rather than Hilo Volcano National Park.) You are driving inland and are not along the coast at all. There are beaches in the Puna area, but they are quite a drive out of the way. I know that there are a few beaches near Hilo, but not on the way to VNP. Also keep in mind that Hilo area beaches will be windward (eastside) beaches that are not typically good for swimming or snorkeling or even just lounging. However, I have heard that a couple of the beaches right in/near Hilo have protected "pools" (or other barriers to the hazardous ocean conditions). Sorry, but I don't know the names of any or how close they would be to the ship.

Honestly though, I recommend making VNP the main focus of your day. It's well worth it. If you feel you just must go to a beach, you could continue on past the entrance to VNP and go to Punalu'u black sand beach. Just don't take any black sand with you--it's the same as, well actually it is, taking lava, which is kapu (forbidden). Then you could drive back to VNP and spend the rest of your day there.

A taxi would be prohibitively expensive. Tour companies make you keep to their schedule. Public transportation is not the way to go (in our experience). We far prefer renting a car. Driving is easy and gives you the flexibility to see what you want to see, when you want to see it.

beachchick

Beachchick is spot on. You have no idea how easy the drive is from Hilo to the park. For a few miles you're in basic suburbia on a wide, divided road with streetlights. Walmarts, Safeways, Pizza Huts (but very lush foliage!!) Basic suburban traffic, very easy cuz you're just going straight and climbing verrrry slightly. Then the traffic thins out and the road turns into a wide, straight 2 lane road without much traffic at all. It slowly climbs to 4000 feet over the appox 30 miles to the park entrance. You really feel the "climb" only the last couple miles. This isn't like driving to the top of Haleakala. It's very straight and smooth. Curves, such as they are, are only slight sways now and then.

It's one of the easiest national parks to get to in the whole US.

It's been interesting to watch how the drive from Hilo to VNP has changed over the years - when we first went, much of the drive was obscured by cane fields and 'Kapu' signs. Now the fields are cleared and there are homes instead, but there's not another national park that offers to its guests what Pele offers to her visitors!

One suggestion would be to stop either at the visitors center across from Volcano House or at the Jagger Museum so that you can learn a bit about the park before venturing off into it. Also make sure you take some time to hike down behind Volcano House - the paths are well marked and you can take a short or slightly long walk, but the views are incredible and the sounds of the forests wonderful. It reminds you of what Hawai'i is all about.

Charlie

Renting a car in Hawaii is very quick and simple.

BUT...

Here is a word of advice...and this goes for renting anywhere:

When you do your walk-around the vehicle to inspect for any damage to note on the form...do it THOROUGHLY AND PRECISE! Don't miss anything, nor note it in the wrong location!

When we rented vehicles from THRIFTY in Hilo, I did the walk around and noted some bumper damage on the form...but marked it on the opposite side of the inspection picture. This caused a HUGE HASSLE! Upon returning the car, they called me over to question me on the damage. I told them it was not my damage...I just marked it on the wrong side. (no damage on other side of bumper) After much discussion, they took some info and said it was ok. It wasn't.

Upon getting home from vacation, THRIFTY HILO was trying to charge us for the damage. After lots of paperwork...I think the matter is settled. It really was just a bad stroke of the pencil...so BEWARE! The picture you note it on can be confusing...because it's an 'exploded-view' type thing.

Just be careful. Renting cars is really a great way to see things and get around. Don't let this discourage you. THRIFTY KAUAI was EXCEPTIONAL!

I left a brand new FRS Radio in the car and returned to the ship. We were half way to the next island before I noticed it missing. I called them and asked them to look. They found the radio, and shipped it to my home...at no charge!

That's the good and the bad. Enjoy Hawaii.

I had just the opposite experience. We rented a brand new Chrysler 300 from Thrifty in Maui and drove to Hana. We got out and spent some time in a busy little general store there. When we came back out, someone had keyed a deep gash into the driver's door. It was very obvious. We even went to Walmart and bought some scratch remover and it did nothing. The metal was exposed from the scratch. We supposed that we would be charged for the gash, but when returning the car, the inspector looked at it and his supervisor said "Dont worry about it. Let it go".

We were relieved and extremely surprised.

I am sold on Thrifty.

• 8 years later...

Hello,

I am travelling with an elderly couple and planning to rent a car to drive from the cruiseport to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (VNP). To plan for delays, including due to unfamiliarity with the area, I am thinking we should not be out for more than 5 hours.

1. Once you get to VNP, will one be able to see the park without having to walk far from the car? Or do we need to park the car then walk a distance (if yes, how long and how strenuous) before we see the sights? If some walking/hiking is required, would there be a waiting area for the elderly couple to sit and wait?

2. Since my elderly companions would not be able to walk much, are there parts of the VNP visit that would be more suitable to them than others? I understand there are two possible routes to take, the Crater Rim Drive and the Chain of Craters Road. Which one would be more scenic and which one would be more suitable for the elderly (e.g. views can be seen without having to walk much)?

3. I am sure we can stay much longer, but what would be a reasonable amount of time to spend at the VNP? Would one hour be too rushed?

4. In addition to the VNP, we were hoping to visit the Akaka Falls and Banyan Drive, and maybe the Boiling Pots, plus downtown Hilo. I have read that combining VNP with Akaka Falls may be too far of a drive. Would this be an ambitious itinerary if we are planing to be on the road for around 5 to 5-1/2 hours in total?

5. Any other places to visit on the way to/from the VNP that you can recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

For "AtSeaForever":

I think that trying to do VNP, plus going the opposite direction to Akaka Falls would be too much to do comfortably with an elderly couple in 5 hours or so. Also, Akaka Falls has a trail to the viewing area from the parking lot that could be difficult for them. You can see waterfalls many places in the world, but there aren't many places where you can see a volcano field up close like on the Big Island.

One idea - does the elderly couple have a handicapped parking placard from their home state? If so, have them bring it with them and you probably wouldn't be questioned parking in handicapped spaces in the park.

One place to consider stopping is Akatsuka Orchid Nursery, on the main highway going to/from the park, between mile markers 23 & 24 (Hawaii highways have markers every mile). Heading back to Hilo from the park, it will be on the right side of the highway. It's a spectacular site if you have any interest in orchids, and they can ship plants to the US if you choose to buy something.

Edited by Kartgv

AtSeaForever: I agree with kartgv's advice and would recommend sticking to VNP - and possibly a stop on the way there or back - but I think Akaka Falls in the time that you have is a bit much - and the walk to see the falls might prove too challenging for your elderly companions.

If you have extra time after VNP, suggest doing the 4 mile Onomea Bay Drive - it's a wonderful drive through a tropical rain forest. The Hawaii Botanical Gardens are off of this road, but I don't think you'll have time for it - but the drive is a highlight on it's own. It's only a short distance from Hilo and would be a good 'add on' to your VNP outing.

In VNP you can see quite a lot by just driving Crater Rim Drive (stop at Kilauea Iki overlook, and Jagger Museum where there's an overlook to see the gasses pouring out of Halemaumau Crater from the lava inside.) Along the way you'll see steam vents. You can do some of Chain of Craters Road without having to do it all (and I would recommend doing some of it) - wonderful views of the lava fields and distant views down to the ocean. There are some scenic viewpoint stops which only require a few steps - or you can just stay in the car. You might also enjoy a stop at the VNP visitor's centre when you arrive at the park.