Tendering in Grand Cayman

mowrider

Need info from those that have been to GC in early Jan. Has tendering in been a problem due to rough water ? Thanks in advance, Chuck

We cruised to GC New Years Eve 2003 and actually did have a problem tendering. I had forgotten about it. I purchase a Rolex earlier in the day and was going to return to Kirk's to have one more link removed that afternoon..only to be told that no one else was being allowed off the ship. They were only tendering folks back on board...due to the rough water.

I have a friend who is a jeweler...so I just had her do it...at no charge of course...cause she's a friend~~

We cruised to GC New Years Eve 2003 and actually did have a problem tendering. I had forgotten about it. I purchase a Rolex earlier in the day and was going to return to Kirk's to have one more link removed that afternoon..only to be told that no one else was being allowed off the ship. They were only tendering folks back on board...due to the rough water.

I have a friend who is a jeweler...so I just had her do it...at no charge of course...cause she's a friend~~

LHP -

I am looking to purchase a ladies Omega for myself in Grand Cayman. I have heard about Kirks, are there other jewelry stores I should consider? I have also heard that the price is about 20% less than US stores and no tax, is this correct?

We sailed in early April, so it is of little comparison. However, I have read of hit or miss tendering in Grand Caymen. (We actually missed docking in Costa Maya due to waves though.) What I can tell you is how the process worked on the Carnival Miracle. (This was our first cruise requiring tendering and quite nervous about making excursions on time.)

We read about times that cruise sponsored tours would meet (all in main show lounge early), we looked up the "earliest tour" and blended with them. No tickets were required. This group happened to be the Snubba group, they said ok as small group anyhow-

Things to remember: Some ports tours thru ship may actually head to the tour directly and not just shore, verify this especially in Belize. Our time zone changed on Sunday due to daylight savings, thus ship time was an hour earlier in grand caymen than local time. We got onto our tender as the sun was just breaking horizon. BUT, we arrived at our privately booked Capt. Marvins in plenty of time.

Beginning of Jan.2001 with Princess=too rough(although it was barely wavy in my opinion!!lol) to tender.

Jan.23 2005=Valor we got tendered in.

Next cruise Jan.7/07 on Valor I am certainly hoping we get to GC again!!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

LHP -

I am looking to purchase a ladies Omega for myself in Grand Cayman. I have heard about Kirks, are there other jewelry stores I should consider? I have also heard that the price is about 20% less than US stores and no tax, is this correct?

I did a lot of checking locally (a lot) before we sailed on that cruise. I had been to Grand Cayman many times and "looked" but never bought....because I did not have my facts. Well, this time I was prepared. Based on what the local stores were charging, (let me add, the best as I can rememeber), I saved $1,200.00 - 1,600.00 plus paid no tax. These are sometimes hard to price, because I got the "logo" face in gold that was not offered locally and every little change adds to the cost.

These are brand new "real" Rolexs. Corey Schmidt (Cruise Director ~ Conquest at the time) told me he bought all 4 of his there~ and his family is in the jewelry business here in the US. Now there is a jeweler here in the US named Furman's that does discount Rolex's. I don't know if they are new or used. But if I were you, I would price it at that website as well...just to have a good understanding of the "discounted" price here in the US.

We are headed back in October and intend to seriously look at a watch for hubby. I have already priced it retail and Furman's.

I don't know about the other stores there, but Kirk's is a reliable, reputable store that carries many brands. I did not look for Omega when I was there. I would be happy to look in October if that would help.

Thans to all of the people who have posted here. We really like cruising on Carnival, Would really like to get "best" chance of getting to GC on a cruise. Is there a time of the year where the odds are good for tendering there? Again, thanks !

We cruised the Inspiration in Jan.05 and went to Grand CAymen. Had a great time. Tendered in and snorkled at Eden Rock, A short walk from the pier. No problem with weather or rough seas. You should be just fine unless a storm comes up. Enjoy your cruise.

Thans to all of the people who have posted here. We really like cruising on Carnival, Would really like to get "best" chance of getting to GC on a cruise. Is there a time of the year where the odds are good for tendering there? Again, thanks !

It's just the luck of the draw, the seas can be rough or calm any time of the year. We have been to GC 4 times and have always been able to tender easily but i did hear on our last cruise, the week before CG had to be cancelled.

We read about times that cruise sponsored tours would meet (all in main show lounge early), we looked up the "earliest tour" and blended with them. No tickets were required.

I was on Valor last month and you had to show your ticket to get on the tender with the tour group.

If you get to the lounge for no tours earily, you will be given a number for your group, usually you won't have to wait and can leave with a group on the 1st or 2nd tender.

Last November, when the seas were too rough for us to tender at Georgetown (on the southwest side of the island), Liberty (and a Princess ship) both anchored on the more protected south sound side of the island. Not only did tendering take much longer due to crowded piers but everyone also had to spend 15 min more in shuttles to get to Georgetown, 7 mile beach, Stingray City, etc. It was a big hassle.

It seems to be hit or miss. 2 years ago in March we missed stopping at GC because we were told tendering would be too dangerous that day...even tho it was a beautiful sunny day without any noticable high winds. Last Aug. we got into GC without difficutly

We are headed back in October and intend to seriously look at a watch for hubby. I have already priced it retail and Furman's.

I don't know about the other stores there, but Kirk's is a reliable, reputable store that carries many brands. I did not look for Omega when I was there. I would be happy to look in October if that would help.

That would be wonderful, as we don't sail until the end of October. I have been checking prices online and in jewelry stores in the DFW metroplex. I have even printed pages online of the watch I am seeking, showing model and make numbers, and have checked ebay too. Thanks for the information, I will check the Furman link and see what I can find.

when doing the 8:30am Stingray City excursion through Capt. Marvins? Would really like to do the early morning one so we have more beach time later, but aren't sure about the timing. Does anyone know if you book the 8:30am but then miss it due to tendering if they are good about letting you do the 11:15am one, given there is still room? We really do not want to miss out on this excursion!

Thanks! Tobsterz

Archived