Haleakala Skyline Tour - Zipline

CSloan

Hi Cathy,

I will be doing it during my 7/18 cruise and are very excited about it. Going with husband and 15yo, 12 yo and inlaws are hiking the trail while we zip. If you go after we do, I will post a review for you. We booked it on our own as we have a rental car and want to do some additional exploring.

Patty

Patty -

We won't be going until November, so I'd love to hear from you when you get back re: your experience with this company. Zipling was a lot of fun (and easier than it looks) in Costa Rica. We will also be renting a car. Since our ship is in Maui for 2 days, we'll do the Road to Hana the first day, and the ziplining the second day - and snorkeling in between. That's the plan anyway. Any other tips you have when you return would also be appreciated.

Have a great trip - you must be excited since it's so close!

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from POA. DW & I and her Parents(70's) did the zipline. It is about 30 minute drive from the pier. We had a group of 11, all ages & sizes. After getting suited up & helmeted we hiked maybe 1/3 -1/2 mile to 1st zipline. Only about 25 ft above the gulley and 50 ft across. It was a blast. Lines 2 & 3 cross the same gulley after very short hikes (30-50 yds) Each line is longer & higher. The final line has just been opened for a month.. It is 710 ft across & over 100 ft above the gulley. You actually zip to end of line, come back out over the gulley and back again to landing spot where you are guided to a platform ladder to ascend to get unhooked from the line. It was a blast. I highly recommend it. Lani & Max were great guides. The hike consist of walking from start of zipline 1 down the side of the gulley to end of zipline 4 so the hikers get a close up view of all four lines and zippers.

I contacted Skyline zipline tours with a few questions regarding transportation, etc. Anyway, I was surprised when they said that anyone on NCL HAD to book through the ship. Did anyone else run into this?? Of course, if you book through NCL you do get transportation to/from zipline so maybe their price isn't too far off base.

Just back from POA. DW & I and her Parents(70's) did the zipline. It is about 30 minute drive from the pier. We had a group of 11, all ages & sizes.

Have been considering this zipline excursion and am worried about my 60 year old arthritic knees. Will they be a problem?? They bend, just can't go to a full squat with weight on them. What do you think????

How about kids w/zipline. My son is 10 and weight 60lbs. Is there any company that will allow him to zipline? I have found age limit at 10 okay but he does not weigh enough per their rules.

How about kids w/zipline. My son is 10 and weight 60lbs. Is there any company that will allow him to zipline? I have found age limit at 10 okay but he does not weigh enough per their rules.

Outfitters Kauai may take your son - see http://www.outfitterskauai.com/KipuFalls_ZiplineTrek.htm

We plan to take their tour in /December. Hawaii magazine has an article out on the Maui zip guy and his tour - sounds excellent - good for the environment, etc - cant wait! Have fun if you go!

Virgenia,

You should be fine. The off ramps are very tame. You do have to go all the way to the end before jumping into space.

The ramps that catch you are inclined with just a little slope for easy exit.. You have a guide to help catch you if needed. You will have a great time.

Mike

I did this on my 7/18 cruise and second the review of Coach21. It was fabulous! We had 6 people with us, 3 zipped (my youngest didn't meet the minumum weight) and the other 3 hiked along and got some great photos/video of the zippers.

My daughter weighs about 90 pounds and she got "stuck" on the last zip. She made it to the end and then back past the platform, but then just stopped. They had to use a hook to pull the line down so that she would go back to the platform. I guess she didn't have enough weight to make it in on her own. I think the zipline in Kauai has an even higher minimum weight because we would have rather done that but she did not meet the weight.

We booked it on our own, but pretty much right after we booked the cruise and well before shore excursions were available. I do know that NCL sold out of the excursions, so maybe they have contracted exclusively with them for days the ship is in port. What happens if you try to make a reservation without saying you are on the ship? We rented a car to get there-doesn't seem like you would be able to get public transport, but it was a very pleasant drive and we combined it with a visit to Tedeshi winery.

I don't know about arthritic knees on this-have you contacted them directly and asked? I don't recall any problems with landings, but I have no knee problems so it would be hard for me to judge.

Patty

I think NCL contracts with the above linked zipline (Kipu) in Kauai, and according to their brochure, you must be 10 years old and 80-265 lbs, same as the one in Maui. I don't know why I thought it was a higher weight limit. I don't know if NCL is setting that weight, different from the company itself, but that was the same weight info I got when I booked the Maui one myself. They didn't weigh anyone, so maybe you can do it. They had to use the hook to get my 90 lb daughter off at the end in Maui, but she didn't mind.

My 12 year old, 75 lb son was really dissapointed that he couldn't do it, but it was because we didn't want him to, not because they turned him away.

Patty

We did a tour with the folks from Kauai Outfitters through Kipu falls - it is a beautiful area where we were kayaking on the way up, then hike, then on a rope swing over a waterfall area - lunch and flora and fauna (even wild pigs) and it was great - I highly recommend it!

• 2 months later...

Aloha - has anyone else done this zipline tour on Maui thru Princess? I am interested in recent reports, or more detailed accounts of the tour itself. Do the guides discuss botanical aspects of what is viewed along the trail? Lunch? Level of difficulty? Trail conditions? Legends or lore or anything more????? Mahalo nui loa in advance!

We just did the Haleakala Zipline (on my 65th birthday). There was about 1/2 mile hike on a trail, some level, some upwards slope, to the first platform. There was about 10 of us. The first line was the shortest and we were all apprehensive to be first. Noone backed down and it was a real rush. The young guides are very competent. We worked our way through the next two lines then got to the longest and most thrilling. Once again, we were all apprehensive but had a ball and uniformly said we'd love to do it again. A little scary at first but an awesome experience. DO IT!!

mahalo cdkempton! I appreciate your input and encouragement - we have this tour booked for our Christmas/New Years Voyage with Princess aboard the Island Princess - I think its going to be a lot of fun! And THRILLING! Should make interesting conversation at dinner that evening!;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the impression that there are only 4 ziplines at the Maui Canopy tour? Will I be disappointed? We were in PV last week and did the Los Veranos Canopy tour. There were 15 lines with the longest being 1/4 mile and 100 feet high over a river. We'll be on Maui in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth doing - has anyone done both? How do the two compare?

Archived