Need your help choosing

gamommyof3

This board is just so informative. I've already had great help on just getting started! I have been reading and reading! But, today for some reason my searches aren't working well, and I can't read some of the threads I am trying to pull up. So, I'm just going to post my questions. AND LET ME GO AHEAD AND SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO READS AND RESPONDS - I APPRECIATE ALL OPINIONS AND ADVICE!

We are going on our first family cruise in July 07...me and DH and 3 children - DS 16 yo, DD 5 yo (almost 6 yo), and DS 3 yo at the time of the cruise. The only time I've cruised was as a teen and I don't even remember it all that well.

Anyway - to the questions...I was all set to go on a 7 night, but now am even considering a 5 night. Please give me your thoughts. The ports vary slightly as well. Also, can you put the kids in AO while you visit the port? I want my DH to get hooked on cruising (I know I will).

Okay - here's what I'm looking at:

5 night on Enchangment - either

-Ocho Rios, Georgetown, 2 sea days

-Key West, Cozumel, CocoCay, 1 sea day

-Key West, Cozumel, Belize, 1 sea day

7 night on Mariner or Freedom - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2 sea days

7 night on Liberty - goes to Montego Bay instead of Ocho Rios

I have read that Ocho Rios is a better port - more to do. If so, that knocks out Liberty. So, then I just need to decide 5 or 7 days. If 5 days, which itinerary is best? If 7 days, is Freedom worth the extra $$$?? Or will we be just as wowed by any ship?

Thanks!

Kathy

I personally would not bring my kids on anything shorter than a 7 night cruise. I feel that all the planning and packing that you do, a 5 night is too short. I would pick the Freedom. I'm sure you kids will love it so much they won't care which ports you are visiting.

As you can see by my "signature", I've got a 5-nighter AND a 7-night Liberty of the Seas cruise both coming up...and, just so you know, I've taken a lot of cruises with kids--mine are now 20 and 22, but we started taking them when they were 3 and 5...

Here's my take:

When there's a choice, I really don't like cruises of shorter than 7 nights...seems like you get on and then get off too soon...I take short cruises largely because they're cheap, quick getaways...and the prices and experience beats the alternative--driving several hours in the car, checking into a hotel, eating out a lot and trying to figure out how to entertain yourself...

BUT, it really takes 7 days (OR MORE) for the cruise to feel really special...

Plus--

--the cruise lines seldom put their nicer ships on the shorter runs, and

--the crowd (without trying to sound too snobby) tends to be a little less desirable (a lot of folks looking for a CHEAP party boat)...The longer the cruise get, the more of those folks are weeded out...

As to the precise ships, I have not yet been, but am looking forward to the newest megaships--and all the amenities they have...and I'm WAY to old to surf, rock climb and ice skate! But...Your 15 year old son should be in absolute HEAVEN on either the Freedom OTS or Liberty OTS...Your 5+ year old should be pretty happy as well (the 3 year old may not be ready to fully comprehend much of this, of course)...

One of the reasons I opted for the Liberty next June is that it will be virtually BRAND NEW...and there's something pretty nice about being on a brand new ship...I haven't been to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, so I really couldn't or wouldn't know the comparison...but I think the itinerary looks pretty nice either way...

Good luck...

Thank you glndr and Steve for responding! I appreciate your opinions about the 5 vs. 7 day cruise. Looks like the 7 day has it so far.... Steve, I didn't see your signature line....not sure why it didn't show up.

I know - my first choice would be the Freedom too - it just seems so expensive - but I've never been on a cruise, so I didn't know what to expect. The Mariner is about $1,000 less than the Freedom. Oh, decisions, decisions.

Again, thanks for the input!

K

First hello neighbor.:)

Out of the choices that you listed, I would pick the Mariner. The itinerary is nice and I like Ocho Rios much better than Montego Bay. The Marnier will give you just about everything the Liberty has with the exception of the Flow Rider and H2O water park. The Voyager class ships have a great "wow" effect. The kids will love it.

Also not sure if you are driving from the Atlanta area or flying but Pt. Canaveral is only about a 7-8 hour drive from the Alpharetta area. Miami is about 2-3 more hours south.

I really love Cococay. Great option for a port. The whole private island deal is very fun for all ages. I like both 5 and 7 day cruises. We tend to go with the 5 day (nothing like the 3 or 4 day party cruises) because we can get away more often. As for things for the kids to do--I would think the only ship that you might feel limited on is the Empress--as it is the smallest of the fleet.

I really love Cococay. Great option for a port. The whole private island deal is very fun for all ages.

Linda, Labadee, which is a port on the 7-night routes is a similar deal to CocoCay...it's CCL's private facility on the North coast of Haiti...

Steve, I didn't see your signature line....not sure why it didn't show up.

There is a filter thingee which you must have turned on which prevents the display of "signatures"...What mine says is this:

Next up:

*RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1/3/07 - 5 night Baja

*RCCL Liberty of the Seas 6/30/07 - 7 night Western Caribbean

*Carnival Liberty 7/7/07 - 8 night Panama

Past cruises: Oceania Nautica, 14 night Mediterranean, 7/2006---RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja, 4/2006---Celebrity Constellation, 14 night No. Europe, 7/2005---Celebrity Constellation, 7 night So. Caribbean, 3/2005---Celebrity Summit, 13 night Alaska Cruisetour, 7/2004---RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja, 1/2004---Celebrity Millennium, 13 night Mediterranean, 8/2003---RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, 7 night Mexican Riviera, 7/2002---Crown Princess, 10 night Baltic/Russia, 8/2001---Carnival Elation, 7 night Mexican Riviera, 8/2000---RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, 7 night Eastern Caribbean, 8/1999---Carnival Jubilee, 7 night Mexican Riviera, 7/1997---RCCL Viking Serenade, 4 night Baja, 7/1996---RCCL Viking Serenade, 3 night Baja, 6/1994---Norwegian Southward, 3 night Baja, 12/1992---Premier Big Red Boat Atlantic-Disney cruise, 3/1989

I wouldn't choose based entirely on itinerary, as that may change.

I would take my children on a 7 day over a 5 day for the reasons previous posters stated... too much work for just 5 days.

AND I would choose the Mariner over the brand new ships. It would be less overwhelming AND probably a little less expensive. I think the Voyager Class is the perfect size (along with the Radiance Class), and should keep you & yours perfectly content and occupied... Save the Freedom Class for a future cruise!

Finally, I do believe you can keep the kids in AO while at port. But if you are planning an excursion, I would do one of the ship sponsored ones so that in case of an emergency, they would know where you are. Personally, I would not leave the little ones on board while I was on land, but that's just me.

Good luck with your decision!

A~

Archived