Bringing Irons Onboard - Is it really prohibited?

mskita

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Have you checked out how many electrical fires have been started versus the number of fires started by cigarettes?? Apparently the engineers that built the cruise ships know a little something... the stress on the system, current, etc. If your theory is correct, why in the world would they have laundry rooms with irons in them on every deck??? They don't charge for the use of the irons... and they are in rooms that are designed to be laundry rooms.

Do you know enough about the electrical systems on the ships to make that statement??? :confused: It doesn't matter what YOU think is a fire hazard... cruise lines consider an iron a fire hazard... to any reasonable person, that would be all they needed to know.[/quote]

According to the statistics in Finland, there are roughly equal amounts of fires started by cigarettes than there are fires starting from electrical appliances. Most of the cigarette fires on ships are avoided with the flame retardant materials in decoration, but so are most of the electrical fires by not having stoves or hot plates in cabins (those account for more than a third of the appliances), and by examining the electrical systems a lot better than they would be at buildings.

The latest Carnival ships on which I was an electricial (The Spirit-class, see my signature) have better electrical systems than your average home, and that includes selective automatic breakers. There are automatic breakers in the cabins for both socket types and lighting, and a main breaker for the entire cabin. If you plug in enough appliances at the same time (around 3kW I think, depending on the voltage) or there is a short circuit somewhere, [B]your [/B]cabin will lose its power, not the neighbour.

The design basis of the electrical distribution in the cabins is an assumption of 200 watts for power sockets in addition to the lighting. That's roughly what the TV and VCR take, or if one in ten cabins have their hair dryers on. This is the average consumption, which is about 40% of what the next step of the distribution system is rated to withstand. If more than 1/3 of the cabins have their hairdryers on at the same time continuously, the circuit breaker in the electrical distribution room will cut off an area of 20-50 cabins because of the excessive power consumption and suspected fault.

In conclusion I would say... The ban on irons is both to prevent the electrical distribution system from cutting off the individual cabins where people want to use irons and hairdryers at the same time, as well as reducing the fire hazard in the cabins with at least a few more percent. Laundry rooms are inheerntly safer because the irons have their own circuit breakers (no fear of overload), the room has a lot less flammable materials, and since there are so few of the rooms it's easy to check on them every 15 minutes or so when crew members are passing by. I also seem to recall from the crew laundrettes that the irons have a timer on them, so you can't leave them on indefinitely... I don't know if that's true in the passenger areas.

We've had the same type of heat and steam produced on posts on the Celebrity sites in the past. I no longer ask nor tell because of posts being deleted but here is a site I found in my research about ships sinking by ironing while at sea..
This is the only way to make ironing safe::rolleyes:

[URL="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/07/1099781246299.html?from=storylhs"]http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/07/1099781246299.html?from=storylhs[/URL]

Just got off the Imagination yesterday, all passengers were informed that stewards would be looking through entire cabin for prohibited items, irons, candles etc. that were fire hazards. This was a refreshed policy and was being strictly enforced due to the Star Princess fire.

There was a rumor that the x-ray team were looking for them in luggage as well. "Got the dope through, but the iron was confiscated...":p

So, unless you can fit it in your safe...

[quote name='mrdood']Just got off the Imagination yesterday, all passengers were informed that stewards would be looking through entire cabin for prohibited items, irons, candles etc. that were fire hazards. This was a refreshed policy and was being strictly enforced due to the Star Princess fire.

There was a rumor that the x-ray team were looking for them in luggage as well. "Got the dope through, but the iron was confiscated...":p

So, unless you can fit it in your safe...[/quote]

[B][COLOR=purple]So from now on be sure to pack your iron in a different bag than your smuggled booze. :D :p [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#800080]I am glad they are taking steps to enforce their rules. Who knows maybe the dress codes will be next. :eek: [/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='mskita']I cannot imagine not being able to utilize an iron for 5 days. I have taken my iron on several cruises on another cruise line. Does Carnival really prohibit passengers from bringing irons onboard?[/quote]

Just want to let you know that last week on the Pride while doing alittle bit of Laundry on Saturday, the last Sea Day. A lady came into the Laundry room to iron her skirt or something. After she left, she left the Iron [B][COLOR=red]ON[/COLOR][/B] !!! at the highest setting. The Iron was stowed into a metal box to prevent burns and to help cool it down. Luckly I checked the iron.

Fred

[quote name='Wennfred']Just want to let you know that last week on the Pride while doing alittle bit of Laundry on Saturday, the last Sea Day. A lady came into the Laundry room to iron her skirt or something. After she left, she left the Iron [B][COLOR=red]ON[/COLOR][/B] !!! at the highest setting. The Iron was stowed into a metal box to prevent burns and to help cool it down. Luckly I checked the iron.

Fred[/quote]

I thought they were on a timer and went off by themselves??

[quote name='Wennfred']Just want to let you know that last week on the Pride while doing alittle bit of Laundry on Saturday, the last Sea Day. A lady came into the Laundry room to iron her skirt or something. After she left, she left the Iron [B][COLOR=red]ON[/COLOR][/B] !!! at the highest setting. The Iron was stowed into a metal box to prevent burns and to help cool it down. Luckly I checked the iron.

Fred[/quote]

She was in a hurry as her cell phone was ringing.:(

[quote name='vincenzo0506']It depends on the color...

vincenzo:)[/quote]

[B][I][COLOR=purple]How about these for formal night? They are tuxedos so nobody could possibly complain about someone wearing these to dinner. :D :p [/COLOR][/I][/B]

[IMG]http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/dumb_and_dumber/_group_photos/jeff_daniels2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Mysticks1'][B][COLOR=#800080]I am glad they are taking steps to enforce their rules. Who knows maybe the dress codes will be next. :eek: [/COLOR][/B][/quote]

[I]Dateline: New York City[/I]
[I]Staff Reporter.[/I]

[I]Today, the NYPD SWAT team was called out to Pier 92 when during a routine xray search of checked baggage, a pair of jeans and a "tuxedo" T-shirt were discovered packed in a suitcase.[/I]

[I]The owner of the suitcase was given the "bums rush" (def. [/I][URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bums+Rush"][I]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bums+Rush[/I][/URL][I]) into the back of the SWAT wagon which sped off at high speed.[/I]

[I]At the site of the passenger being hustled off the pier, some 300 other passengers were seen opening their luggage on the pier and discarding their jeans.[/I]

[I]It wasn't long before a fire was started and the FDNY had to be called to put it out.[/I]

vincenzo:)

Archived