Freedom Eastern Carib or Mariner Western

panam22

1st time posting - just started researching cruise for our 10 year anniversary next May. Paying with AmEx points and have narrowed down the list to two options.

First - Freedom: San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten out of Miami.

Second - Mariner: Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown GCM and Cozumel out of Port Canaveral.

Other considerations:

- We can book a Grand Oceanview suite (w/ conceirge service) on Mariner or a Junior Oceanview Suite on Freedom. These are what is available in our "points range". Mum-in-law just came back from a cruise and she loved conceirge service. What are your thoughts?

- Comparing the itineraries - we'd like to do a little shopping, hit a beach and maybe do one or two tours.

- Freedom just sounds amazing - is it that much more impressive than the Mariner?

- Flying into Miami (nightmare of an airport) or Orlando (45 minute shuttle) direct flights available to both. Is Miami really that bad?

- We are a 40 year old - very active couple who need a combination of activities and relaxation. DH only wanted to cruise if it was on Mega ship! We have been on one cruise before - to Bermuda and it rained the entire trip.

Anyone having any thoughts? I really appreciate your help!

Happy anniversary and best of luck with your choice. The good part is you really can't go wrong. Here are some specific thoughts:

+ Do NOT fall for the hype around Freedom. Both FOS and MOS are beautiful ships, and they are much more alike than they are different. The biggest things that FOS has which MOS doesn't are the Flowrider and H20Zone; there are several minor differences, but basically, they are the same ship providing the same cruise experience.

+ Personally, I prefer the eastern itinerary, but I have done the western much more (just the way it's worked out). I think the eastern islands offer better beaches and shopping.

+ Keep in mind that if you go eastern, San Juan is really a throw-in port. Not too much to do or see for the veteran cruiser, but still worth the trip for the first timer. To me, that itinerary boils down to 2 stops: St M and St T.

+ While MCO is a good, well run, busy airport, I've never had a problem with MIA, and I would never allow an airport to determine which cruise to take. My worst airport experiences have been with FLL, and I'd still use it.

+ Concierge is very nice, but again, IMO, not something that will make or break your cruise. It's a great perk, but I'd base my choice on other things.

If I were you, I'd select Mariner. You'd be getting a spacious suite on a beautiful ship that's in great shape and the itinerary is very nice with 4 good ports that provide a lot of variety. You can have very good beach days in Cozumel, GC and Labadee, and do a bit of shopping (with decent prices and selection - nothing incredible) in Jamaica, GC, and Cozumel.

Tough choice. we sailed the western a few times, shopping is good depending on what your looking for, jewelry (gems) reasonable in Mexico. I just returned from the Eastern on the explorer, skipped St Thomas due to the hurricane in our path. I absolutely loved St Maartan, Orient beach is gorgeous. Shopping was good as well.

San Juan, not one of my favorites, dont care if I ever go there again, wasnt comfortable at all. Dirty, actually I found it filthy. They do have an exursion to see old and new San Juan but we didnt book it.

We also went to there private island Labadee, thats a must see, really had a great time.

Although I'd love to try Freedom myself, I love Port Canaveral... We did the Western on Mariner in February and it was great! For almost the same price you get 4 ports and only 2 days at sea instead of 3.

My vote is for Mariner unless you are sailing with a lot children, than Freedom might be the way to go...

I have sailed on both ships. I have sailed both itineraries. For me I prefer the Eastern Caribbean. I also prefer Freedom and was just blown away with the beautiful ship, so many amenities and wonderful comfy beds. I don't consider what is said about Freedom to be "hype." Both my husband and I simply loved the ship.

But if you find that you do choose Mariner of the Seas, that is a great ship too. It isn't Freedom of the Seas, but it is still a great ship and very comfortable. I don't know if it has the new bedding yet, though.

I think you'll have a great cruise either way. Some folks get so involved in having EXACTLY the right cabin and PRECISELY the right itinerary, but I honestly think cruising is such a pleasant experience that there is no need to be so terribly concerned about such details. You can have a "good enough" cabin and a "good-enough" itinerary and still have a memorable time.

Maybe I am being too cavalier, but I believe you could almost flip a coin between the two choices you described and have a wonderful cruise, no matter which one the coin "chooses."

Thanks so much for the quick replies - I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. And, no - no kids so that is not a factor. Leaning towards the Mariner because of the itinerary but then again my DH is leaning towards the Freedom as he wants the biggest and best ship... It may just come down to flipping a coin!

Archived