La

offwego

We will be getting off the Star on Oct. 5 and then flying out of LA early on the 6th. There are 3 of us (a 16 year old and 2 adults) and we are hoping to see as much of LA as possible in the time we have there.

What I was hoping for was maybe some of you could point us in the direction of a hotel not too far from the port that offered shutle service to the airport?

Also, would it be better to take a cab or is there a shuttle or public transportation that would be easy to use when going from place to place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give us!

We will be getting off the Star on Oct. 5 and then flying out of LA early on the 6th. There are 3 of us (a 16 year old and 2 adults) and we are hoping to see as much of LA as possible in the time we have there.

What I was hoping for was maybe some of you could point us in the direction of a hotel not too far from the port that offered shutle service to the airport?

Also, would it be better to take a cab or is there a shuttle or public transportation that would be easy to use when going from place to place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give us!

Problem is that you're not going to find a port-area hotel with a shuttle to the airport (I am assuming LAX, correct?)...LAX is 20 miles from the pier in San Pedro...

With the parameters you gave, I wouldn't recommend staying near the pier at all...

You are probably best off getting some sort of transportation (Super shuttle, ship's transfer, taxi) back to LAX, renting a car there and checking into an airport area hotel (many large chains on Century Blvd.)...

Going from place to place by public transportation in LA is near impossible...the distances are long and the public transportation inadequate...cabs from place to place are extremely expensive and extremely difficult (we just don't have cabs cruising the streets like a lot of other cities--you have to pretty much call and arrange for them)...

If you get a shuttle back to the airport and get a rental car, you should be able to get checked into your hotel and back on the road by, say, 11-12? You could do a number of things the remainder of the afternoon and evening, depending on what you wanted to see and do...but traffic and distance will limit you somewhat...

You could head up to Venice Beach for a little stroll and some lunch, then back in the car and up to Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, then up to Hollywood (Grauman's Chinese, Walk of Fame, etc), back in the car and head up to Universal City Walk--some dinner there maybe...then back to LAX and the hotel...

As an alternative, you MAY be able to find a tour to pick you up from the hotel, but the start time is not good...

Good luck...

So generally agreeing with BruinSteve here...

There's not enough information that you have provided yet to give you the best recommendations...

First of all...

What TIME are you leaving for LAX on October 6th?

"Early" means a lot of different things...

It would totally depend on what time you need to be to the airport (and still need to know) or what airport that you are flying out of?

So, I/we need more information in order to make the best recommendations...

#1 What time/port are you getting into and expecting to get out (time-wise) on October 5th?

#2 What time and airport are you flying out of on October 6th?

#3 What are you all, (and especially is it a 16 year old boy or girl) really INTO, what kinds of thing interest you?

There are SO many things to do and see in Los Angeles, that you really need to decide upfront, what are your interests, and what do you want to see...

THEN, when I know what you are interested in doing and seeing, I could recommend the best hotels, shuttles, things to do, based on that...

As BruinSteve said...

LA is NOT a town/city where you have easy public transportation (Like Manhattan, Chicago, London, Etc.)...

You need to know and PLAN what you are doing and what you want to see FIRST, then you can figure out hotels and best transportation after that...

#4 That being said....

What are you into, what do you want to see? More info, more info, more info needed?

It makes such a big difference here...

CJW

Archived