Cellular at Sea seems updated

EngIceDave

I have one that I use... but if I'm not talking on it, it's turned all the way off. I do not leave it on for incoming calls. When I talk, I find a secluded place to talk where no one's around. I will call my tween kids while on the cruise... but only in port, when I'm off the ship.

At appears that, for some, the only thing more addicting than the Cruise Critics forum, is talking on that dang cell phone... :D

Cruisin' Marc, they have to turn it off in port, they are not allowed to operate it within so many miles of a port, it is a rule, they were very clear about this - just got off the Imagination yesterday.

...and let me make a commentary - I think cellular at sea sucks. This was my first cruise where the ringing of cell phones and people yaking on them were annoying, it was like being at the mall. Many were using them. At every show, they had to ask people to please turn off their cell phones as to not disturb the show, but as always, some people didn't - it was annoying. Most seem to be using it for social purposes, I hope they understood the charges. We chose not to use ours except in port to check in with our children at home.

One day, we will no longer be able to be away at all. This will be helpful in an emergency, but generally it is annoying. Outside of emergencies, it is a sad day!

I was afraid this would happen. I hope the $2.49 per minute Carnival makes is worth it too the detriment of their guests. I hope you post a review of the Imagination MrDood as we will sail on her in October. Sorry to hear the cell phones were so disruptive.

No Cell Signal on the Pride yet, I would guess they would have to get their Wifi working throughout the ship first. The Wifi radiates around 125 feet from the Internet Cafe.

For those with Verizon. Make sure you have the North American Plan if you want to Dial out of Mexico with the Internationals plan. Just having the International Plan will not cut it. You will need to Switch to the North American Plan to be able to call out of Mexico from those Ports.

Fred

I'm going on vacation, not working from ship! If I wanted to talk on the phone while cruising, why even go? Stay home where the roaming charges won't get you! If you can't be "out-of-pocket" for even a few days, what's the point of a vacation??? Is it THAT important to take/make calls on a ship in the middle of nowhere? If you left your small children at home with Aunt Gertrude or something, I can see calling home once or twice to check in, but I'd do it from a phone in port, not while I was watching a show, or out by the pool! If you can't leave your land life behind for a few days, maybe you should consider selling your vacation time back to the company you work for, and just stay at work 24-7!

Ok I hate to post this but I am going to.

Yes I use my cell phone way to much. Typical lady always on the phone. But as far as being on a cruise I hate to listen to or see anyone sitting around the pool yakin on the phone or hear them ring. Esp when the ring is similar to your and you think it is yours.

Last spring on the Victory I used mine in San Juan and St. Thomas.

I travel with my handicap sister alot. It was nice to be able to call my DH and talk to him and let him know how things were going. We would call home before cell phone to let our parents know we made it to our destination ok. Now that we have cell phones we still call to let our DS know we have arrived he does the same when his family travels.

On my sis and my cruise DS knew we were in port and had a signal so he called by mistake he said. Actually he was calling to make sure we were safe and having a good time. Even though Dad spoke with him earlier.

For that reason I like having a cell phone with me. But not to just chat about nothing. Or listen to other people phone ring or the talk on them. I used mine on our verandah or up on deck in port when everyone was in San Juan partying it up.

I will carry mine to call home to check in and let my Mom know we made it onto the ship. Once we do that mine will be off and put in the suitcase. I also don't look forward to having to listen to all those phones and useless conversations.

As far as emergencies everyone at home will be given that emergency number that has been in place for years to use if really necessary and if we have an emergency, we will use the ships satellite phone.

One of the things I adore about a cruise is that I am not reachable (unless there is an emergency).

I use my cell to call when I arrive at the ship and then again when I return home.

When I have cruised without my kids I buy an internet package and check in with them via email throughout the week. They can send me an email but it is up to me to use the computer when it is the least intrusive during my vacation. I usually take a few minutes over a cup of coffee in the morning or late afternoon. I will not change this - To me it is not a vaction if I'm getting calls!

I have my own business.

Having my cell phone and access to it is what allows me to go on a vacation.

If/when it rings, I'll go to a quiter interior location and try to not disturb others.

If that's not good enough for you, honestly, too bad.

Once again this is a "where do you draw the line" situation. Emergencies personal or business are ok. If you have your phone on vibrate and immediately leave public areas to continue a call fine. I think most people get irritated listening to the the people who like to hear themselves talk. This is our vacation too and we want to get away from ringing phones.

I work for a very large national wireless carrier. The simple explanation is REVENUE if it makes money there gonna do it. Like it or not cruise or no cruise. If people will pay the rates to use it it will be there and will continue to be there. I agree I dont wanna hear them ringing on a cruise either, but the fact is we live in a world where some (not all) people dont care if they are disturbing you while they talk on there phone. Its a good business model for the industry if they can generate 20 or 30 buck extra from you once a year then it makes scence, or in one case where i read further up the thread $500 on one trip. Phones on cruise ships will be here to stay, its sad to say but we better use to it, I guess. Anyway thats my 2 cents not trying to start a war or stir the pot just giving perspective from the carriers side.

You must've missed that.

But I do have this question, I have caller ID on my phone, so if I let it ring because i know who it is, am I charged onboard the ship?

nope, only if you answer it. remember tho, if u allow it to go to voicemail and then check it from your cell phone u will be charged. also understand that even tho u are in port, if you use the phone on your ship, u will pay cruise ship roam rates, it might be better to wait until u are on land

I am a dunce as far as cell phones so, so this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes:

We have the family plan with our family phones and can call each other's cingular phones free of charge (no minutes counted). would we be able to call one another on the ship or in the ports, or would there be a roaming charge?

Kris

if you are in a US port, yes. Us ports include all 50 states, puerto rico, guam and the USVI

I have a question. What if you're off the ship but near it. Couldn't you be picked up by the ship's repeater and billed the $2.49 and not the cheaper roaming rates?

no. the cruise ship doesnt actually have a tower, they have "repeaters" they are weak when compared to the towers on land. there is no need to worry about picking up on ship towers when on land, even if u are standing next to the ship

EngIceDave

I wouldn't think that they would ever shut that system down....rack up those minutes...there's always someone on board who will want to make a call. I think that this is a question for the experts at Cingular :confused: (my provider)m

due to the fact that not all passengers leave the ship while in port, they DO NOT turn off the feeders. it is big revenue for the lines

[quote name='mrdood']Cruisin' Marc, they have to turn it off in port, they are not allowed to operate it within so many miles of a port, it is a rule, they were very clear about this - just got off the Imagination yesterday.

...and let me make a commentary - I think cellular at sea sucks. This was my first cruise where the ringing of cell phones and people yaking on them were annoying, it was like being at the mall. Many were using them. At every show, they had to ask people to please turn off their cell phones as to not disturb the show, but as always, some people didn't - it was annoying. Most seem to be using it for social purposes, I hope they understood the charges. We chose not to use ours except in port to check in with our children at home.

One day, we will no longer be able to be away at all. This will be helpful in an emergency, but generally it is annoying. Outside of emergencies, it is a sad day![/quote]

the first part of your statement is not true. they can operate the cellular feeders. what they may turn off is the satellite portion. that i dont know anything about

working for the largest wireless carrier in the americas may have me a bit biased. i will have my phone, i will keep it on, maybe on vibrate but it will be on and yes, i might even answer it. if you allow that to ruin your vacation beause i am sunning myself on the topless deck and my daughter calls to tell me that she got an A on a test, then it just SUCKS TO BE U!! You will not be ruining my vacation. Happy cruising.

[quote name='goofyjenn']working for the largest wireless carrier in the americas may have me a bit biased. i will have my phone, i will keep it on, maybe on vibrate but it will be on and yes, i might even answer it. if you allow that to ruin your vacation beause i am sunning myself on the topless deck and my daughter calls to tell me that she got an A on a test, then it just SUCKS TO BE U!! You will not be ruining my vacation. Happy cruising.[/quote]

Hmmmmmm.....Maybe you could wire us some photos, since your phone will be on anyways..............? ;) ;) ;)

[quote name='goofyjenn']working for the largest wireless carrier in the americas may have me a bit biased. i will have my phone, i will keep it on, maybe on vibrate but it will be on and yes, i might even answer it. if you allow that to ruin your vacation beause i am sunning myself on the topless deck and my daughter calls to tell me that she got an A on a test, then it just SUCKS TO BE U!! You will not be ruining my vacation. Happy cruising.[/quote]

lol sure. i have multimedia messaging and internet built right in. ill send ya some photos. you want old gramma saggin ones or ........ lol lol

Archived