Snorkeling-Kealakekua vs. Pawai Bay

DAIS28ABB

We will be visiting Kona during our Carnival Spirit cruise to Hawaii. The cruise ship offers snorkeling to Keakakekua Bay with Captain Zodiak and to Pawai Bay. Everyone on the boards raves about the Capt. Zodiak excursion.

Have any of you been to Pawai Bay? Can you compare it to Kealakekua Bay? I am not too sure that Capt. Zodiak will be best for us since we have both had back problems in the past.

Thanks for any information.

We will be visiting Kona during our Carnival Spirit cruise to Hawaii. The cruise ship offers snorkeling to Keakakekua Bay with Captain Zodiak and to Pawai Bay. Everyone on the boards raves about the Capt. Zodiak excursion.

Have any of you been to Pawai Bay? Can you compare it to Kealakekua Bay? I am not too sure that Capt. Zodiak will be best for us since we have both had back problems in the past.

Thanks for any information.

Kealakekua is much better than Pawai Bay, but especially if you go by boat to the Captain Cook Monument area. That particular area is inaccessible by car, but can be reached via boat or a long swim. Pawai Bay is unimpressive; though we've been only once (not worth going a second time). Kealakekua also is "home" to a large pod of spinner dolphins that you may encounter if you go in the morning or late afternoon.

If you have a bad back, there are many private operations that take catamarans out to Kealakekua. Other options might be renting a car and going to A' Bay or Place of Refuge. A really easy place to snorkel near Kailua is Kahalu'u Beach Park, where there are a lot of turtles that feed and some fish out near the rocky point.

My favorite place to snorkel is near Puako, by Hapuna Beach. It is easily accessible, and your non-snorkelers can relax on one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. It is about a 45 minute drive from Kailua though.

Thanks for the comparison of the two sites. I have taken notes on your information and will continue to read the boards. I would like to do two snorkeling trips while in Hawaii and I know from reading that Kealakekua is one of the best.

Also enjoyed your pictures from Alaska. We will also be going there on the second part of our cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver.

Archived