Where Are We Docked In Honolulu?

Arlenedow

There's only one place - Aloha Tower in Honolulu - where cruise ships dock.

mainpic.jpg

The cruise ship that you see docked there (the old Independence) is where your ship will dock as well.

Spleen

Sorry to disagree with a local, Spleen, but on our recent visit to Hawaii on HAL we were docked a few blocks from the Aloha Tower. The Carnival Spirit was in port and had the Aloha Tower spot.

It was about a 5-10 minute walk to the marketplace from where we were.

Nanner, I guess both of us will have to disagree with Spleen (sorry). We were on the Serenade in May and they had us docked at some warehouse a few blocks away from Aloha Tower. I suppose it was about a 15 minute walk - but it was a looooonnnnng 15 minutes! We were terribly disappointed to not be at Aloha Tower, but then again, there is only room for one ship there at a time and the Infinity was in port the same time we were.

Here's a web site that gives the International Passenger Ship schedule and some of them show what I think are pier numbers. Sorry I don't know what the number for the pier at Aloha Tower is, maybe someone else knows http://www.state.hi.us/dot/harbors/oahu/2004cruise.htm

Just a guess, but maybe the ones without p(pier?) numbers are the ones that dock at the Tower???

Island Princess is one that does not have a pier number.

It looks like from the above schedule that we are the only ship in port on the cruise that starts on Oct 6 and gets to Honolulu on Oct 14th. If that is the case I wonder if that means we will get the dock near the tower?

Another guess, but I would think if it is the only ship in port, it will dock beside the Aloha Tower. I noticed at the bottom of the page that the terminal for pier 2 is being constucted now from May '04 to Oct '04. It is possible the web site I went to for the schedule may have more info. It's http://www.hawaiiocean.com They have a nice webcam of the harbor and the link to that schedule.

Yep, I checked. When we were on the Serenade in May we docked at Pier 2 (while the Infinity was at Aloha Tower). Such a disappointment. When we go back in December (Legend of the Seas) it looks like they dock at Aloha Tower. YES!

Just wanted to add that if you are checking schedules for other Islands and you're looking for Lahaina or Kona, those Ports are handled by a different department. Several months ago I posted a link for them but now I don't remember what it was. I know Spleen will remember!!!

Apologies to all ... I didn't qualify the comment by adding that all ships dock at Aloha Tower unless there's another cruise ship already occupying the dock. But if there isn't, then you dock at Aloha Tower. :D

Dan - the site that you're looking for is the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation site. Follow this link. I think I bookmarked it after you posted the original link! :p

Aloha Tower (the entire harbor district) is pretty far from Kahala. It's at least a 30 minute if not 45 minute drive (with traffic). It's closer to Hanauma Bay than Waikiki though.

Spleen

Even so, you still recommend the Kahala Mandarin Oriental? It isn't any further than the Waikiki area (where we originally had planned to stay)is it?

We will most like ly have a driver pick us up at port and then do excursions from the hotel. My husband doesn't want to get a rental car.

OK, I checked the Aloha Tower site and it shows our ship docking at pier 10 on Nov 26 (we will be in Honolu on the Statendam for two days) and for Nov 27, it shows us departing at 7pm, but at pier 2! Am I correct in assuming that our ship will actually move to another pier for the second day?

Family - it depends on what you want, as earlier described. The Kahala is recommended for people that want to stay out of Waikiki and the hustle and bustle there. It's close enough to town that you have the option of partaking if you want (though you'll need a cab or a car to get there) but far enough that you don't deal with crowds on the beach. It IS farther away from the pier than hotels in Waikiki ... however, because of traffic surrounding Waikiki, it'll take roughly the same amount of time to get to both destinations (around 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic). The Kahala IS expensive though ... people should not be looking at the hotel if you're looking for a budget option.

Bill - I just checked the schedule too and it says that the Statendam will be at pier 2. I heavily doubt that they would move you after you dock. Pier 2 is NOT at Aloha Tower (pier 11) - it's currently in the foreign trade zone. There is a footnote stating that Pier 2 will be under construction from May to October 2004 -- they may be constructing a new passenger terminal for cruise ships at Pier 2 since the schedule also shows a number of cruise ships after October docking at Pier 2. This is all conjecture though since I haven't heard anything about a new cruise terminal being built. And of course, since this is considerably in the future, your docking location may change as well before then.

Spleen

It looks like the Island Princess will be in port on the 27th and there is no pier # listed for her, so it sure seems like the Statendam will move from one pier to another. I just saw that the Infinity which we'll be on is scheduled for pier #2. I've been trying to find out just where pier 2 is, but the best I could do was to find that Navatek is berthed at pier 6, so I'd guess pier 2 is even further east?????? Piers 8,9,10 and 11 are at the Aloha Tower complex. I would guess by Nov the new terminal will be finished. Incidentally, I did not see Infinity listed in the Aloha Boat Days schedule, possibly because it is docking at pier 2, and they seem to stay around the Tower.

Another guess, but I would think if it is the only ship in port, it will dock beside the Aloha Tower. I noticed at the bottom of the page that the terminal for pier 2 is being constucted now from May '04 to Oct '04. It is possible the web site I went to for the schedule may have more info. It's http://www.hawaiiocean.com They have a nice webcam of the harbor and the link to that schedule. Does anyone else get the same picture (same cloud formation)? I have emailed them twice asking how to refresh the picture but they say it is working! Doris

Archived