From parking lot to ship

zoneoffl

This is our 1st cruise and it is on the Caribbean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are leaving on November 5, 2006. :cool: We live on the west coast of Florida and will be driving to Fort Lauderdale. We are told there is a parking garage at the terminal, but we don't know how far that is from the ship dock. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the parking garage or do we have to walk there? We are celebrating our 50th anniversary so you know we are not young! We would appreciate any information that will help us get to the ship. How far is it to the ship? Thanks!

This is our 1st cruise and it is on the Caribbean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are leaving on November 5, 2006. :cool: We live on the west coast of Florida and will be driving to Fort Lauderdale. We are told there is a parking garage at the terminal, but we don't know how far that is from the ship dock. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the parking garage or do we have to walk there? We are celebrating our 50th anniversary so you know we are not young! We would appreciate any information that will help us get to the ship. How far is it to the ship? Thanks!

I dont' know the answer to your question BUT just wanted to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Wow, 50 years:)

Don't know but parking is $12 a day!!

http://www.broward.org/port/pdfs/cruiseguide/cruiseguide06_p4_10.pdf

This place (we are going to try in Oct) is about 1/2 price and has uncovered non-valet and covered valet service.

http://www.unitedairportparking.com (choose ft lauderdale sea port, not airport)

They shuttle you to/from the terminal to your car. Otherwise the ports I've been to, you walk to the terminal from the parking garage.

Happy cruising!!

Congrats on your 50th! You picked a great way to celebrate.

As far as parking at the port it really is very easy in Ft Lauderdale. When you enter the port you will be asked to see your cruise docs and sometimes id is requested and you will be told which terminal your ship is at and directions. Once you enter the port there are signs directing you to the different terminals (like an airport). You will drive directly up to the terminal to unload your luggage (make sure your tags are on all pieces) and a porter will take them from you. You will not see your luggage until later in the day when it is delivered to your cabin. I keep my carryon luggage with me. After tipping the porter $1 or $2 per bag you can proceed to the parking area which is right across from the terminal. The parking terminal is big with many stories as you go through looking for a parking spot you will notice elevators in the corners. Try to get as close as possible. You will be paying for your parking when you leave and it's $12 a day. Take the elevator down to street level and walk across to the terminal.

Another option is to use the Park & Fly parking which is located right outside the port entrance. You can park their (uncovered but secure) I think it's about $8 a day. They will shuttle you to your terminal and on your return just give them a quick call and they will come pick you up. You can do a search online for their website or call them to reserve a spot.

Hope this helps......I am on the west coast of FL also and always drive over for our cruises. Years ago we took the bus, which might be another option for you to consider. It's totally "no hassle".

Have a wonderful cruise and hope it will be the first of many more.

First let me say a BIG congratulations on 50 years together. The parking tower is exactly as described by others above. As long as you're in decent health, just park close to elevator on the second level and you'll be fine. We took my parents on this cruise last year to celebrate their 50th. We arrived back in port a few days AFTER Wilma went through and there was no electric..ie NO elevators! My dad (and hubby) made the walk just fine to the car. My mom and I stayed with the luggage... make sure you drop it off first and afterwards, split up and one go to the car and one stay with the luggage if possible. The porters (who are really great) and the security will try to rush you along, but take your time. They are just trying to get everyone in and out...it does get chaotic. Have a wonderful trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Here is another idea for you to consider. Rent a car both ways. We live in Southern California and usually sail out of San Diego. I have used a rental car on several occasioins and the overall cost (cost of the rental and gas ) is significantly less paying for parking. You would turn the car in at the Fort Lauderdale airport or a car rental agency in Fort Lauderdale and they will drop you off at the ship terminal.

After the cruise the rental agency will be at the ship terminal waiting for you or you will have a short wait.

I am not saying that this is necessairly the way to go, but you should see if it is feasible for you. Generally the cost of one -way rentals are higher but overall you might find it to be an attractive option cost wise, especially for long (10 days or more).

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Archived