Sensation 9/14 Review

NattysMom

This was our first Carnival cruise, 3rd total. Three day to Nassau. Let me say that I think cruising is the best vacation and I'd have fun on any ship because I'm with my husband but we're trying to find the perfect line for us.

I knew going in that this was the oldest ship in the fleet but I wasn't expecting it to be so gaudy, garish and behind the times in the decor. I'm not concerned with worn carpet or tiles etc because I know the traffic is heavy duty but I'm talking about the super purple neon, purple corrugated metal, the inexplicable Touch of Class scary lounge and the hallway art. Just out of date. The ship itself is obviously very clean and well kept by the very friendly staff.

The dining room Star Trek inspired circular lights that turned a sinister red and blinked when it was time for the waiters to sing were distracting. I did not like the interruption to dinner by the announcements. I prefer a quiet dinner but I will say that the food was very good. I was pleased with everything we had for dinner and our headwaitress, Biljana, was a delight.

Also, the Lido food was better than the food we had on RCCL's Sov. of the Seas. The eggs were much better. But after reading all the reviews before we left about the great pizza I will have to admit that I was disappointed. It's akin to that school fundraiser pizza shells kids sell. The calzone was also quite a disappointment. The hamburgers were very good as well as most of the desserts.

The room stewards were very nice and we always got cute towel animals. We went to the towel folding class which was neat. The Deal or no Deal was fun too.

The first show was canceled because it was very rocky the first night. We aren't cruise show people but the cruise director kept talking up the 80's revue show on the last night so we thought we'd give it a try. Yikes. The dancers weren't in synch. The female singer was so-so and the backdrops were high school musical quality. We did enjoy karaoke though. You'd be surprised how great some of the passengers are!! I was impressed!!

The staff at the Port are great. We got on the ship very quickly but disembarkation from the ship was lengthy. We were out of our rooms at 8 and the first self-assist message came at around 9:30. (We were already at the airport by that time on Royal Caribbean!)

The weather was great, we had a great relaxing time because it's hard not to have a great time on a cruise but I wouldn't repeat the Sensation. We might try a newer ship to give Carnival another shot though.

I knew going in that this was the oldest ship in the fleet .

I'm pretty sure the Holiday, Celebration, Fantasy and Ecstasy are all older than the Sensation.

We were just getting off as you embarked.

We loved the ship and the crew.

I can see how the decor could bother someone, but as it wasn't in my home, it didn't bother me at all....;)

It was somewhat garish by day, but quite beautiful when lit up at night.

I liked the pizza with whatever spices they used in the crust, but I agree that the Calzones weren't as I read about beforehand.

Hope you tried the sandwiches at the Deli right next to the pizza, because every sandwich I tried (especially the Reuben) was great.

We liked the size of the Sensation, but are going to try the Glory next September to try the opposite end of the line.(Glory the 4th newest ship from the largest size class versus the Sensation, the 5th oldest ship from the 2nd smallest size class of ship)

Going to be interested to see if the added amenities are worth the larger crowds and lines on board.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise despite the decor.

Bill

I meant to say that I knew it was amongst the oldest ships. Because we've taken two short 3 days cruises, I'm used to getting older ships but I think Royal Caribbean's refurbishment of Sovereign of the Seas was more pleasing on the eyes! Our next two cruises are on new ships so we'll see if we like that atmosphere or if we'll miss the intimacy of the smaller spaces.

I did try the reuben and I wasn't impressed. I'm used to trying smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal - a real treat! To each his own I guess. That's why there are so many cruise lines! :)

I did try the reuben and I wasn't impressed. I'm used to trying smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal - a real treat! To each his own I guess. That's why there are so many cruise lines! :)

I only hope you got your Reuben from the nice guy from an eastern block country.

He was at the deli the first 3 days of the cruise and made us great sandiches each day.

The last day, he got moved to the Pizzeria and the asian fellow they had replace him had NO CLUE what the heck he was doing or making. (the bartender next to him had to keep showing him where stuff was)

Like you said.

Different tastes for different folks. (my Wife thinks my love of Meditteraean cuisine after living in Turkey for 2 years, is gross)

Bill

Archived