Mexican "Open Container" laws...

MamaParrotHead

We're probably going to book the Private Island Tour through Island Marketing this week, and part of their deal is that they provide you with a cooler and stop off at a market real quick prior to the tour starting (so you can stock up on drinks and snacks). I was wondering if it'd be possible for us to get some beer and drink it along the way (which would obviously be against the law in the US) or not (and we're really willing to risk it, if it IS illegal). No huge deal, just curious.

Thanks!

We're probably going to book the Private Island Tour through Island Marketing this week, and part of their deal is that they provide you with a cooler and stop off at a market real quick prior to the tour starting (so you can stock up on drinks and snacks). I was wondering if it'd be possible for us to get some beer and drink it along the way (which would obviously be against the law in the US) or not (and we're really willing to risk it, if it IS illegal). No huge deal, just curious.

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with that at all; indeed it is the norm. There are no "open container" laws in Mexico, but it is illegal to drink and drive. You have the solution, now go have a lot of fun!

In addition I was having a dicussion this weekend with a friend of mine about marijuana we both agreed it was against the law to posses this in Mexico. He argued however someone who had a small amount for personal use in a tourist town would not be arrested for it if caught in Mexico. I disagreed however has anyone had any experience with this in Mexico?

Heres the deal. Possession of very small amounts that can easily be claimed are for personal consumption are rarely bothered. There is no real law against it according to one attorney I know.

It is illegal to traffic anything and the penalties are stiff. If they detained you for a small amount it would likely be to see if you will caugh up the person that supplied it to you, if you get it on the island.

I am not recommending this activity, just trying to inform you what I have been told by persons that should know.

Archived