Family cruise - RC or Carnival

gamommyof3

Hello - I am researching a first cruise - the entire family will be going: myself, DH, DS 16 yo, DD 6 yo, and DS 3 yo. Which do you recommend? On Carnival I can get OV connecting rooms for about $1000 less than on RC, but one less night. I really just want to best cruise experience and want everyone to be hooked, but at almost $7,000 just for the cruise (RC) I don't think we can do it every year. I guess I could consider a 5 nighter....

Thanks for any opinions!

You may find that 5 days is not long enough, but 14 isn't either.

Look at the percentage difference instead of the price differrence.

It's a little more than 10% different.

If the $1000 extra means that you would have to wait an additional year to go again may be worth saving the $1000.

I usually recommend a shorter cruise, rather than a longer one, to newbie cruisers. That way, you'll know if that kind of vacation is right for you and your family. Also pick an itinerary that tends to have calmer seas. In other words, don't book a Pacific or Atlantic crossing for your first cruise (don't laugh, there was a British couple on our Hawaiian cruise...it was their first one and the husband spent the first few days in his cabin, sick).

It seems like RCI is pricing Freedom at a fairly high premium compared to their other ships.

Oh yeah without a doubt Freedom and Liberty are much more expensive than any other RCCL ship.

I recomend to just keep looking for deals. That 3rd and 4th person rate is high right now. I've booked when it's been $99-$199 for 3rd and 4th person. But I noticed on some of the sailings, that rate is as high as $499.

We have never been on Carnival but our Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean last Jan was so great (with kids 3,6) we are going again on the Voyager of the Seas this Jan. We are also taking my MIL and FIL for their 40th anniversary. SIL and family are coming too! We got a fantastic deal where 3rd and 4th were only $9 plus port fees and taxes:eek: . I thought we got a great deal last year at $2700 Can for our family of four, but this year the 6 of us only cost $3600 CAN (2 insides on deck 9)!! I would rather go for a cheaper room (we hardly spent any time there) and save money for excursions and MORE CRUISES.

Keep in mind that none of the TA's I spoke to knew about this deal until I told them and they looked it up, so you may have to keep watching yourself.

Thanks for the replies everyone! We are going to have to pay full price for 4 people and only get 1 discount - we are a family of 5 and the least expensive way for us to go is two connecting rooms.

So now, I'm looking at the week of Thanksgiving 2007. Still, it's costing a fortune it seems. The least expensive is a 6 night on Navigator, with a 7 night on Enchantment not much more at all. Will we still have the wow factor on these ships as we would on Freedom or Liberty? It's our first cruise and I want everyone hooked!

I'm also checking out 3 Carnival cruises to compare - they are on the Glory, Miracle, and Victory - all 6 nights.

I have just been shocked at how much it is to cruise! But, I'm not going to let it stop me :-)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone! We are going to have to pay full price for 4 people and only get 1 discount - we are a family of 5 and the least expensive way for us to go is two connecting rooms.

So now, I'm looking at the week of Thanksgiving 2007. Still, it's costing a fortune it seems. The least expensive is a 6 night on Navigator, with a 7 night on Enchantment not much more at all. Will we still have the wow factor on these ships as we would on Freedom or Liberty? It's our first cruise and I want everyone hooked!

I'm also checking out 3 Carnival cruises to compare - they are on the Glory, Miracle, and Victory - all 6 nights.

I have just been shocked at how much it is to cruise! But, I'm not going to let it stop me :-)

Thanks

As this is your first cruise, I think you'll get the wow factor and have a blast on any of these ships! And don't look at prices for Alaska or Europe cruises, or you'll REALLY get sticker shock--the Thanksgiving cruises in the Caribbean are dirt cheap by comparison! Our 7-day Alaska cruise just cost us over $6,000 (as with you, 4 people in two adjoining cabins) while each of our two 6-day Thanksgiving cruises (2005 and 2006) set us back just $3,200!

Hello - I am researching a first cruise - the entire family will be going: myself, DH, DS 16 yo, DD 6 yo, and DS 3 yo. Which do you recommend? On Carnival I can get OV connecting rooms for about $1000 less than on RC, but one less night. I really just want to best cruise experience and want everyone to be hooked, but at almost $7,000 just for the cruise (RC) I don't think we can do it every year. I guess I could consider a 5 nighter....

Thanks for any opinions!

I just realized that you are saying that a 7-day sailing on Navigator for Nov 2007 is $7,000 for four!? That's $1,400/person (and that assume the 3 yr old pays full fare) or more than double what an OV should cost!? Did I misread something? :confused: :eek:

Hey terpnut! (are you a Maryland Terps fan??) - We are actually a family of 5 and the almost $7,000 is for Freedom of the seas in July - although to sail over Thanksgiving it would be $5,300. I could probably do Navigator or Enchantment for just over $4,000 though over Thanksgiving. What did you sail 2005 and 2006 over Thanksgiving?

I know that it will be wonderful whatever we decide. The one thing we do know is that we are going the week of Thanksgiving and we are leaning toward Royal Caribbean (in room babysitting).

Which do you guys recommend - Navigator or Enchantment?

thanks!

Hey terpnut! (are you a Maryland Terps fan??) - We are actually a family of 5 and the almost $7,000 is for Freedom of the seas in July - although to sail over Thanksgiving it would be $5,300. I could probably do Navigator or Enchantment for just over $4,000 though over Thanksgiving. What did you sail 2005 and 2006 over Thanksgiving?

I know that it will be wonderful whatever we decide. The one thing we do know is that we are going the week of Thanksgiving and we are leaning toward Royal Caribbean (in room babysitting).

thanks!

Personally if the money is the same I would take the Enchantment over the Navigator to get the extra night onboard ship.

• 2 weeks later...

where would you like to sail from have you checked the carnival conquest?

I got a rate of for oceanview cabin at 626.00p/p and 3/4 person lower rate,balcony at 755.00p/p and inside cabin 506.00p/p for 9/9/07. that is includeing port fees and taxes. we also have an 100.00 obc, chocolates and champagne and a free cocktail party all included in the price.

thanks!

As you can see from my sig, we did Carnival Liberty last Thanksgiving and will sail RCI Serenade this time around. I can't help you with a recommendation, but would have to say that the premium for Freedom is not worth it. Wait another year for the next big thing and she'll probably be priced like every other boat. Whatever you do, have fun!

Terpnut - just looked at your profile and saw your Maryland Terapin. My husband is a graduate of University of MD. He graduated in 1985. We are Terp fans here too! :-) We love Gary Williams!

Kathy

I'm a third-generation Univ of Maryland graduate and graduated in 1985 too! :D I started in Electrical Engineering but graduated with a BS in Marketing. What was your husband's major? Maybe we crossed paths?!

Don't forget....this is EVERYTHING! Meals (including 24hr pizza and ice cream on Carnival), entertainment...how much would you pay for a land-based vacation adding in food and entertainment for everyone and including special activities for your children geared towards their ages...alone time for the adults while the kids have their vacation of a lifetime as well! :D

I have one beach vacation scheduled for Easter next year (with the same family we cruise with), but I'll bet we'll just cruise all the time now! Especially since our special needs son did SO well there and LOVED it!!!!

I've only been on Carnival (with the exception of the Britanis), so I can't comment on the other lines.

If you even think you want to do in room babysitting, then go with RCI b/c Carnival does not have it and to me it makes or breaks my cruise. (If you have read any of my other posts, I am like a broken record on this :) ) Plus, there is more to do on Navigator with the ice rink, climbing wall etc than the others. I saw you are considering Victory on Carnival. We have been on that and Triumph a sister ship (short cruises out of our home port) and dont recommend that ship b/c the layout is so poor, for a first time cruiser it would be even harder.

In terms of cost, if its a difference of about $1,000 between the two cruise lines, I would say RCI is worth the difference, for activities and food.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have traveled extensively on cruises with our young children (who will be ages 4, 5, and 6 on our next cruise this December). We have had connecting rooms and adjoining rooms. Having connecting doors was essential when they were 2, 3, and 4. Last year, however, we got by with adjoining rooms. We just kept the doors unlocked during the day and the kids were constantly going from one cabin to the other quite happily. At night, my wife slept in a community bed with the two older girls and I shared a room with my son. We got time alone in one cabin when the kids were in "preschool on the ship." There was some convenience in having connecting doors two years ago. But having just adjoining rooms was actually far more peaceful because, the kids stayed put. When we had connecting doors two years ago, my wife and I would start out in one room with the kids in the other. Over the course of the night, the kids would take advantage of the connecting door to pile onto our bed. Often, my wife and I would wind up switching rooms in the middle of the night in order to get away from the horde. If you are not wedded to connecting doors, you might get some longer cruises are lesser rates.

Also, consider saving money and taking a longer cruise by getting inside cabins. We started out with outside cabins for the first couple of years, then quickly realized that there was nothing to see when you were at sea, and we seldom spent time in the cabin when we where in port. I could definitely see the advantage of having a balcony cabin, but with an active four year old boy, we are years away from that luxury (even assuming I could afford it).

I like both RCCL and Carnival. One of the things that I like best about RCCL, however, is that they have many nights when there are evening activities for the kids, so that they will be in Adventure Ocean until 10:00, and you will not have to pay for a sitter while you have dinner and see the show. Our children loved it so much that they insisted on staying aboard ship while my wife and I enjoyed our day in Cozumel. I do not know if Carnival offers the children's program during port days, but having that option was great on RCCL.

We had our first-ever cruise last spring on the RCL's Mariner, sister ship to the Navigator. Believe me when I say that it has plenty of "wow" factor! We got off that ship and promptly booked two more...one last August and the next coming up in January.

Yes, balcony staterooms are lovely, but I have a friend who cruised with his three kids and his partner...and a family friend...all in two inside staterooms. He saved a bundle of cash, and was able to spend it on shore excursions and little luxuries on the ship that aren't included in the fare. The Voyager-class has interior staterooms with windows that overlook the main promenade (shopping area) so they're not so closed-in.

Happy cruisin'!

Archived