Best kind of car for rental in Santorini

I'm going to rent a car for our excursion into Santorini on our Med Cruise in mid November.

My question is, what is the best kind of car to rent for Santorini? My preference would be to driving around in a convertible but I'm wondering whether it will be too chilly at that time of the year and even worth the money? If I will have the top up the whole time or bundled up because of the cold, what is the point?

I hear many rent 4X4s - is that a better option? If so, why?

The Smart Car looks like it may be fun to drive. I drive a manual quite frequently so no problems in that area - in fact I prefer it over the auto.

My preference would be to driving around in a convertible but I'm wondering whether it will be too chilly at that time of the year and even worth the money?

This site gives historical data on temps (scroll down to History & Almanac to enter dates from November in the past few years). http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/WLGSR.html

Also, you can get good info from this site - find the cruise that you are on, and then click on each port for an overview of the port, plus climate details: http://www.*****.com/cruiseports/viewport.cfm?port=213

I hear many rent 4X4s - is that a better option? If so, why?

I don't think there is much off-road driving on Santorini - we rented a regular car (compact/standard) and covered the whole island. We saw people on ATV's and driving jeeps - but they were on the regular roads.

Archived