Restaurants on the Crown and their fees

leenie29

What restaurants are on the Crown besides the main dining room and what are their cover charges? Do all of the speciality restaurants have a cover charge or is it only certain ones? It was kinda confusing on the NCL website (or maybe my minds turned to mush) as to who had cover charges.

My son loved the Dawn's sushi bar and was wondering if it was also on the Crown (his only criteria for cruise traveling is if they have a sushi bar then he's a very happy camper).

Thanks in advance,

Leenie

There are a total of five restuarants.

The Buffet- No charge

The Seven Seas(main dining room) no charge no reservation(except large parties)

Chopsticks- reservation no charge- sushi/asian not as good as the Dawn-limited selection

Pasta rest reservation No Charge

Le Bistro reservation and a fee

and of course room service.

There is also a second buffet sometimes open outside on Deck 10(or 11) called the italian buffet and a BBQ

My son loved the all day all you can eat Sushi bar on the Dawn. He loved the eel sushi. The sushi chef really took a liking to my son and kept making him different sushi's to try. How is the crown different as far as sushi is concerned when you say it's limited?

Thanks,

Leenie

As one of the above posters mentioned there are some restaurants with fees and others that do not have fees. The thing to remember on the crown is that the pasta cafe and chopsticks only holds about 40 people so space is limited. Also, at chopsticks there was only one lady serving all of the tables so the room was never allowed to reach full capacity. Another note is that unlike the Dawn where the specialty restaurants have relatively extensive menus on the crown both chopsticks and the pasta cafe have a choice of basically 2 or 3 entrees and 2 soups and 2 salads. One of these entrees changes each day but the pasta cafe doesn't serve meat except on one day which was fetucinni alfredo with chicken. That being said chopsticks had an amazing sushi appetizer and the miso soup was great. Also, the dining room food was so good that going to the specialty restuarants isn't even necessary unless one wants to try the other cuisines.

Sincerely,

JC

My son loved the all day all you can eat Sushi bar on the Dawn. He loved the eel sushi. The sushi chef really took a liking to my son and kept making him different sushi's to try. How is the crown different as far as sushi is concerned when you say it's limited?

Thanks,

Leenie

I had the sushi, it was a few pieces(although it was very good). The california roll was actually quite good. I just think they have 4-5 types at the most. Nothing truely raw(its its either smoked or cooked-like shrimp)

Okay now it's making more sense about Chopsticks. I thought they might have had a limited sushi menu but I didn't realize that the entire menu was that limited. thank you

I've heard that before about the Crown main dining room having excellent food. Is it really that much better than the Dawn's main dining rooms? Is the food better because of the much smaller size of the Crown vs the Dawn? We thought the food in the Ventian had the best menus of the three main restaurants, but it was also the one with the slowest service (we thought).

Leenie

leenie29,

I was on the inaugural sailing of the Dawn and thought the food was fantastic on that trip in the Venetian Main dining room. Reports after me had less stellar reviews of the food though still quite good. My comment would be that the food on the Crown is at least comparable to the food in the main dining room on the Dawn and might have been slightly better with the exception of one steak that our table ordered which was a little tougher than usual. If you were disappointed in the main dining room food on the Dawn the same will probably hold true for the Crown since NCL seems to be pretty consistent fleetwide with food quality (POA being the exception from the reviews I have read). That being said, everyone we talked to on the ship thought the food on the Crown was quite good and much better than Carnival or RCCL. I hope this helps. I also dined in Le Bistro one evening and thoroughly enjoyed the food there as well and thought it was slightly better than the main dining room but the service was better than in the main dining room. If you have anymore questions do not hesistate to ask.

Sincerely,

JC

• 1 month later...

Hi Leenie

I read in another post of yours that your son had Aspergers. My 8 year old has ADHD and I'm wondering if the Kids crew has experience with this. Hope you get this message because we are cruising very soon!

My 10 year old with Asperger's refused to go to the kids program. He was at my side the entire week. Being with non-Asperger kids is not his thing but that's a last 6 month thing with him because of bad experiences in public school with his non-Asperger peers. When we were on the 6/20/02 sailing there were supposed to be 1100 kids ages 0-18 on board. Even in those numbers he didn't find anyone to befriend until the last 2 days he met a couple of kids like him on the shuffle board court. They seemed to understand each other.

That being said my 5 year old (doesn't have Asperger's) had a great time in the kids program and we couldn't get him out. We even paid for him to go.

HTH,

Leenie

Just back from Crown 8/8. The 7 seas dining room had really good food, some of the best of our 17 cruises. We had a table for 10 with a reservation for 5:30PM each night, good waiter Adan..so for us it was an excellent experience in dining room. We did go to le bistro one night (thurs night,didnt' care for main menu) food there was same as the dining room just better presentation. I dont' think it is worth the extra $$...Our table in le bistro was directly over the steel band playing by the pool so it was not a nice quiet meal.

the other restaurants on Crown are underused. The need to make reservations ahead and the limited 9-11 am time to make reservations made it hard for most people. The pasta cafe and chopsticks were almost empty every night. I think they need to use them as optional dining room with no reservations except for Le Bistro. The buffets on crown were the same every day and unappetizing. We ate a couple breakfasts there, would pick up desserts from time to time. This ship had limited food access. Breakfast over by 9:30 or 10, lunch only from noon-1:30 or 2. Dinner from 5-9 in buffet, 5:30-10 in 7 seas. They would have pizza upstairs a couple evenings for an hour or so. No 24 hr water or ice tea, tho they did have coffee and hot water for hot tea, hot choc. avail in yacht club. Room service was about 30-40 min one afternoon about 2:30PM for sandwiches and pizza.

Enjoyed afternoon tea, COOKIES- especially the oatmeal raisin and the cocoanut ones (in chocoholic buffet Fri afternoon) 3:30-4:30 each afternoon. Have elegant tea on Sat afternoon 3:30-4:30 but woudn't let my sister in with her flip flops!

overall we enjoyed our Crown experience, the small ship is limiting and that would be the biggest drawback. Will post a review soon.

Chris Mitchell

Archived