Belize and Donating Blood

wrinklesandme

We just found out that if you travel anywhere outside of Belize City, you will be deferred from giving blood for a year.

This is a fairly new restriction. My DH was told in March that as long as he stayed out of the jungle, he would be fine. The rule changed April 1, 2006. It states that if you go to any of the outlying islands or Cayes, you are not allowed to donate blood. We literally went to Caulker Caye for 90 minutes and are now deferred for one year. (It was worth it!:) )

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

Enjoy!

I know. Hubby hates it, but he understands. We go to Costa Maya and Belize this year (although we will not be leaving the pier area since we have a special needs child).

Hubby just earned his 12 gallon donor sticker!!!

LHP, congrats to your DH. My DH is/was very good about giving platelets whenever he could. He discussed everything with the local blood bank when we booked the cruise in March. I then reserved our excursions based on that info. Oh well.

If you don't leave Belize City at all you are fine there. Double check on Costa Maya. Before it was just the jungle area, but it might include the whole area now. It's based on where there is and is not spraying. If memory serves from looking at the update info, a lot of the Mexican Coast is now deferred.

Love those blood donors!

What can you catch? This is why I love these boards. I learn something everyday.

You can get malaria. However, from what I have read, the mosquito that generally carries that is out mainly at dust and dawn.

Secondly, there is a nasty little bug called the botfly. If you have never seen pictures of this...it will freak you out. Basically, the botfly gets bitten by a mosquito and the mosquito is the transmitter. The mosquito bits the human and delivers the botfly larve into the human body. The human then becomes the incubator for this little bugger as it grows under the skin. It grows until it is time for it to "erupt" and fly away. uugghhh Now if that isn't a glowing recommendation fot DEET, I don't know what is.

Other than those 2 things...no worries!!

LHP, congrats to your DH. My DH is/was very good about giving platelets whenever he could. He discussed everything with the local blood bank when we booked the cruise in March. I then reserved our excursions based on that info. Oh well.

If you don't leave Belize City at all you are fine there. Double check on Costa Maya. Before it was just the jungle area, but it might include the whole area now. It's based on where there is and is not spraying. If memory serves from looking at the update info, a lot of the Mexican Coast is now deferred.

Love those blood donors!

We are definately not going past the docks at either port. We have a special needs child and are limited as to what we can do. There is a pool and beach right at the end of the pier in Costa Maya *which is where we have decided to spend our time. There is little shopping area at the Belize dock which is where we will spend what little time we stay in Belize. That is going to be a day at the pool on the ship day for us....after walking "within the walls" of the Belize port.

Just looked up the botfly and that was really horrifying. Your statement reminded me to bring some bug spray on our upcoming cruise.

See...I told you cruises are fun AND educational!!!

I'm not sure about Belize but I do know its 1 year for Costa Maya. Since I was going to both and already knew about Costa Maya, I didn't check on Belize. I run the blood drives at work and am bummed that I have to wait a year but its a decision I made. You'd be amazed at all the countries and cities that will cause you to be deffered for a time.

Doug

8/92 Monarch of the Seas

3/93 Mardi Gras

3/03 Victory

8/06 Glory

Archived